Maui Questions

emarismom

I believe I have come up with a plan that is reasonable for my family. Knowing my husband as I do, he will not want to drive to the summit of Haleakala. I really do want to visit the lavender farm (Thank you Silver Sweethearts) so my plan for day 2 is to pick up our car again from the airport and head directly to the lavender farm for about an hour. From there we will head to the beach at Wailea for two hours with lunch. Then we will go to Iao State Park and the Plantation. If we find other things to see and do in the upcountry area or at the beach, we can just drop the plantation at the end of the day. This also puts us nearer to the ship at the end of the day. Does this sound doable?

From looking at a map it seems I will have to back track from the lavender farm to get to the beach. Is there any more direct route.

I believe I have come up with a plan that is reasonable for my family. Knowing my husband as I do, he will not want to drive to the summit of Haleakala. I really do want to visit the lavender farm (Thank you Silver Sweethearts) so my plan for day 2 is to pick up our car again from the airport and head directly to the lavender farm for about an hour. From there we will head to the beach at Wailea for two hours with lunch. Then we will go to Iao State Park and the Plantation. If we find other things to see and do in the upcountry area or at the beach, we can just drop the plantation at the end of the day. This also puts us nearer to the ship at the end of the day. Does this sound doable?

From looking at a map it seems I will have to back track from the lavender farm to get to the beach. Is there any more direct route.

Your plan is doable however there’s no more direct route so you’ll have to backtrack to Kahului to go anywhere else. There’s an old road (dirt?) between Makena & Upcountry but that’s a private road so it’s not an option.

Since you’ve decided to go to Wailea our favorite beach is on the north end of Wailea at Ulua Beach. At each end of Wailea & in the middle there are paved parking lots, outdoor showers & toilets (not Porta potty‘s). Ulua doesn’t have any food options & the lot gets full quicker than the other lots. When we can’t park at Ulua, we go to Wailea in the middle & when necessary there’s always parking at Polo Beach on the south end. There are food snack shops located at the north end of the Grand Wailea & also at the Four Seasons.

Here are links to an aerial photo & a map of Wailea:

http://www.dreamvacationsmaui.com/ekolu304/images/Wailea-Beaches-Maui-1.jpg

http://waileamauicondo.com/images/maps/Wailea.jpg

I’ve never dined at Wailea Resort hotels & there are a few restaurants at The Shops of Wailea:

https://www.theshopsatwailea.com/

If you want to try some Hawaiian-style food then Da Kitchen Express is full of locals enjoying local food. Their Kihei location is order at the counter & eat at tables inside or get it takeaway. The portions are large for things such as Kalua Pork & Teriyaki Beef with steamed rice & potato mac salad.

http://dakitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Kihei-Take-Out-06.14-no-price.pdf

Edited by Astro Flyer

Your plan is doable however there’s no more direct route so you’ll have to backtrack to Kahului to go anywhere else.

There is sort of a short cut if you come down Omaopio Road from Kula Highway. That will turn into Pulehu. Take Pulehu to Hansen Road (consult your map for this, but it isn't hard). Make a left on Hansen Road and take it to where it dead ends into Mokulele Highway. Left on Mokulele Highway and take it to the end where it will put you in Wailea. We just happen to know these things because we go for a drive each Sunday (people still do that??) to find stuff like this.

There is sort of a short cut if you come down Omaopio Road from Kula Highway. That will turn into Pulehu. Take Pulehu to Hansen Road (consult your map for this, but it isn't hard). Make a left on Hansen Road and take it to where it dead ends into Mokulele Highway. Left on Mokulele Highway and take it to the end where it will put you in Wailea. We just happen to know these things because we go for a drive each Sunday (people still do that??) to find stuff like this.

Mahalo...I’ve seen that route but not knowing the conditions of the road have never explored it. We’ve only used Haleakala Highway but might try the other route next time we go Upcountry.