Sunshine Muster Station

chrislo

We are sailing on the Sunshine August 10th. Can anyone tell me if we muster outside or inside. We have done both and it won't impact our enjoyment. Just wondering.

Thanks

I am by no means trying to sound like a jerk, but how can a 15 minute muster drill impact your enjoyment of the cruise?

I am by no means trying to sound like a jerk, but how can a 15 minute muster drill impact your enjoyment of the cruise?

while the muster drill itself is only 15 minutes, you still have to stand in a crowded line for hours on end in the hot humid miserable weather

while the muster drill itself is only 15 minutes, you still have to stand in a crowded line for hours on end in the hot humid miserable weather

I have never had to stand in line that long. The muster drill has never lasted more than 30 minutes or so in total on my cruises.

Just Saying : We were on the Conquest in Nov. 2017 and the drill was more like 45 minutes - the biggest mess ever. No one seemed to be in charge & the Florida heat was oppressive.

My wife uses a cane, so they take us inside. The last cruise they were fueling the Valor and the fumes were so strong inside they just took our names and cut us loose. The Drill, when everyone, staff and crusiers cooperate, should last about 20 minutes. But, and this is in accordance with Maritime Law (which is above even Diamond/Platinum cruisers), where all must be accounted for. Those of us who show up on time (i.e. responsible) wait in the heat for those hiding in the showers, Serenity, etc.)

In short:Be responsible, be there. Deal with it like an adult.

Are they scanning our S&S cards at Muster entrances now? They do on the Vista and I think it made it go much faster knowing all were in attendance.

Yes, they did it on the sunshine too.

Even if they did not scan your card, i think they will just continue the drill as usually. For the people that missed the drill or the card did not scan, they have a make up drill the next day. On a different cruise line, i missed the muster drill and they was a note in my cabin telling me to attend the make up the drill. The make up drill was soooo much faster then the regular drill.

Muster station E is in the Liquid Lounge but it is only about 300 people (2 life boat assignments). Our deck 7 forward cabin was assigned there and people with mobility issues were there too. At the end of the drill they led us out of the lounge right outside past the life point, said “that’s yours, have a nice day.” No fuss no muss.

• 4 weeks later...

hubby will be using a scooter (mobility issues) - so I'm guessing we'll be going to Deck 7, forward, as noted above? It would be good to know ahead instead of having to run around THAT day to find the right place. It's never the one that shows on our key cards.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to look at Deck Plans to be sure I got the right space. Three years ago we were assigned to the Limelight Lounge. It was a smaller group and they had a clipboard (I think!) that they marked people's names off the list. They paged people over the intercom if they weren't present.

On RCI - they were really mean and serious. You couldn't be talking, no food or beverages (we were in a lounge area) and cell phones away.

On RCI - they were really mean and serious. You couldn't be talking, no food or beverages (we were in a lounge area) and cell phones away.

Oh, gee, you mean they were mean and serious about training to keep you safe, and actually made you think about your own safety for a couple of minutes. :o

Does anyone know why some Carnival ships have the muster drill inside and others still conduct theirs outside? I think people are more attentive to the instructions when they are comfortably sitting in a theater or dining room.

If the ship has sufficient space on the promenade deck for the people assigned to the boat to muster, and for there to be sufficient space for others to traverse past the muster, then by law, the muster will be outside on the promenade deck. This will not change over the life of the vessel. Newer ships have reduced the size of the promenade deck (non-revenue generating space) in order to maximize interior (revenue generating) space, so there is not enough space to hold the muster on deck, and the IMO then allows muster stations to be inside, providing they meet the design criteria of volume, number and size of ingress/egress points, proximity to the boats and pathway to the boats, and the spaces have been studied using crowd and crisis management paradigm software to determine the space is safe.

When we cruised on the Dream, they had us muster in the theater. After it was over, they dismissed us. On the Paradise, they had us muster in the theater, then when it was over, we all had to go to our lifeboats. I thought it was odd that it was done two different ways.

On our Liberty or Freedom cruise, we were standing out in the hot muggy weather while people were taking their sweet time coming to the muster. It finally started and a woman passed out right in front of us from the heat. They stopped the muster and tended to her. No announcement was made as to why it was stopped. We felt sorry for the people on the other side of the ship that had no idea of why it stopped. All total, from the time we got there when they first made the announcement until it was over, it was well over an hour.

Thanks for the explanation Chengkp75. This makes sense as the newer ships do have the muster inside but the older ships I've been on still have it outside. I knew someone on this site would have the answer. It is still very uncomfortable standing in little lines out in the heat waiting for those that think they are too good to attend to show up.

While I agree that those who lollygag on the way to muster make it longer than it needs to be, remember that the purpose of passenger muster has nothing to do with your comfort, and everything to do with saving your life. When a building has a fire, you don't all collect in the office cafeteria waiting to be told to evacuate the building, you are directed to evacuate immediately. Outdoor musters are the closest you can get to leaving the building without the dangers of getting in the boats for a one way trip away from the ship.

5 Carnival cruises so far 10 total. I've never had a muster drill that didn't take near an hour. Always because of idiot fellow passengers who just won't be adult enough to show up on time. My wife is claustrophobic and has great difficulty being sardine'd in mass. While still young I have Veinious Insufficiency Syndrome, a knee that needs replacing but won't be thanks to Obumma care and a bad case of rudeness. A muster drill the length that I normally experience has a definite way of impacting the enjoyment of more than just 'my' cruise.

For someone like me who is claustrophobic it can make a big impact. What I learned to do is take a small hand held fan and ask to stand in the very front of the group so no one's standing in front of me so I can at least get some air.