Carnival Fascination

Beefcrinkle

So I am looking at taking a cruise out or PR on the Carnival Fascination, I read that it should be getting an overhaul in February. I am looking at the dates in May, Do you think it will be done by then? I have only Taken two cruises on NCL so this is my first look into Carnival and really don't want to end up on a really out dated ship.

It will either be done or they will cancel your cruise - they're waiting on the FEMA charter. If the FEMA charter is complete on Feb 3 as expected, she will go into dry dock and be out in about 2 weeks to start cruising again.

Unless the FEMA charter overruns by several months, you don't have anything to worry about.

So I am looking at taking a cruise out or PR on the Carnival Fascination, I read that it should be getting an overhaul in February. I am looking at the dates in May, Do you think it will be done by then? I have only Taken two cruises on NCL so this is my first look into Carnival and really don't want to end up on a really out dated ship.

I am on her in May and one of the reasons I chose her over the RCL Freedom of the Seas (sailing Saturday night) was the fact that she was going into drydock a few months earlier to get the 2.0 upgrades. She's an old girl for sure so a little freshening up is certainly welcome.

You can't beat the itinerary for the price tho. 7 ports in 7 nights (and I have been to none of them) . . . The ship really doesn't need a bunch of amenities. We are planning on full days in the port city so in theory it will be wake up and get ready, Breakfast, day in port, back on the ship to relax a bit and get ready for the evening, dinner, night time activity (show, comedian, night club, deck party etc.), bed.

Heck I even went inside cabin (4D next to the grand suites) because I wanted as much money towards my port days knowing I really wouldn't have that chill day to take advantage of a more than double the price balcony. Plus I sleep well in darkness lol.

I am looking forward to a great trip.

I sailed on the fascination last Feb round the southern Caribbean, it was our first carnival cruise so had nothing to compare it to (although I have been on the Queen Mary II before) I have to say it didn't even seem old to me until someone pointed it out and as we were off the ship everyday it didn't matter, My kids barely even used the waterslide. I'm sure it will be fabulous, I loved PR!

We had a fantastic time this past April. We were 1 port short of the 7 with one day at sea...no Dominica for us, but it helped to have a recovery day because we all got sunburnt in St. Thomas. We were usually so tired after the end of a port stop that we didn't even look for much entertainment outside one or two evening shows. Room service worked just fine for post-port snacks before dinner or just a run to Lido.

We'll be on Magic soon, so we'll have a different class of ship to compare to. But our previous experiences on Fascination and Imagination were just fine.

It will either be done or they will cancel your cruise - they're waiting on the FEMA charter. If the FEMA charter is complete on Feb 3 as expected, she will go into dry dock and be out in about 2 weeks to start cruising again.

Unless the FEMA charter overruns by several months, you don't have anything to worry about.

Fascination is in dry dock from February 3 to February 17. Her first passenger cruise is February 18.

We are sailing her on February 25, so she has better be done.

Yes it will be done but it's an old clunker with make-up.

I would not be too concerned. Just my opinion but I don't see how FEMA could just "decide to keep her". Seems they would need to have some kind of extension agreement in their contract with Carnival or Carnival would need to agree to an extension after the fact. I really doubt carnival would want to p***off another group of cancelled cruisers after the last time. I also understand that dry dock time is hard to come by on short notice and gets scheduled well in advance. With that in mind as well, I don't think Carnival would want to give up the time they have already scheduled for this.

Then there is also the issue of getting scheduled crew back aboard and ready to go. I'm sure that they are not working with a full crew during the charter and would need to get everyone back up to speed and ready for guests.

Of course I could be completely wrong but considering the logistics it just doesn't seem logical for Carnival to not sail Fascination as scheduled. Like I said, just my opinion.

For anyone still worried about the fascination, I know that she has left St. Croix. Have a lineman in the family that has been staying there while working, and the ship left Wednesday night. Hope everyone enjoys their cruises that are scheduled.

Thank you for the update! I logged onto this site just to see if there was any news on this. We are on the March 18th cruise.

Here is the scoop. Ship is still docked in St. Croix but will soon depart for the Bahamas. Her date with the drydock begins Sunday the 4th.

Source: https://carnival-news.com/2017/12/14/carnival-fascination-to-undergo-multi-million-dollar-dry-dock-prior-to-resuming-year-round-service-from-san-juan-in-february-2018/

Carnival Fascination will undergo an extensive multi-million-dollar dry dock that will add a variety of popular food and beverage innovations, including Guy’s Burger Joint developed by Food Network star Guy Fieri, the cocktail pharmacy-themed Alchemy Bar, BlueIguana Cantina Mexican eatery, Cherry on Top sweets shop, the poolside RedFrog Rum Bar and BlueIguana Tequila Bar, and a Bonsai Sushi Express venue.

The spaces will be added during a two-week dry dock taking place Feb. 4-17, 2018, in Freeport, The Bahamas, prior to the ship resuming its year-round schedule of seven-day southern Caribbean cruises from San Juan, Puerto Rico, beginning Feb. 18, 2018. Carnival Fascination is currently being chartered to FEMA to house relief workers in St. Croix.

I was just looking at this cruise today... the prices are amazing! Was trying to find out why so cheap!

They may be trying to get people on after the FEMA and upgrades. But RCCL has a ship in may down in San Juan thats similar price. So may just be the area need to be cheaper to get people there?

The cruise director has posted a couple of videos this morning. It sounds like the Fascination is scheduled to sail later this evening, they already have contractors on board that will start working on the way. I can’t remember if he said they are arriving at dry dock on the 5th or 6th, there for 10 days then back to Puerto Rico!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The cruise director has posted a couple of videos this morning. It sounds like the Fascination is scheduled to sail later this evening, they already have contractors on board that will start working on the way. I can’t remember if he said they are arriving at dry dock on the 5th or 6th, there for 10 days then back to Puerto Rico!

Thanks Heids32, I just checked your roll call to see if anyone had any new information. I am on the 2/25 sailing. I am presuming you are following the CD on FB? Can you tell me his name please.

Happy sailing to you, take good care of the ship.

Thanks Heids32, I just checked your roll call to see if anyone had any new information. I am on the 2/25 sailing. I am presuming you are following the CD on FB? Can you tell me his name please.

Happy sailing to you, take good care of the ship.

I sure am! He goes by Marcelo Marshmallow. We will do our best to make sure she is ready for you[emoji4]

Heidi