Seaside: Butcher's cut chef table

sandpiper35

Would love to hear from someone that has done the

BUTCHER'S CUT CHEF TABLE.

Is it worth it? Better yet since Is not really the money : did MSC deliver what is promised?

Did you get the service and products?

Cheers.

We did the Chefs Table and loved the food except for the bone marrow. One suggestion I would strongly make is to make sure you have others booked at the same time you do. It was only the two of us and they told us later that the amount of food served was to be shared by four. The table was set for eight but no one else arrived. We did our best to eat our share of the different courses but it’s a lot of food. We had excellent service and let the wine sommelier make our wine choice. Perfect!

I was planning on booking the specialty dinner trio, but have been thinking more and more about just booking the Chefs table at Butcher's Cut.

Can you tell us a little more about the experience?

What would you like to know? I have pictures but don’t post them on cc.

I was planning on booking the specialty dinner trio, but have been thinking more and more about just booking the Chefs table at Butcher's Cut.

Can you tell us a little more about the experience?

I would like to know if someone with an allergy to milk, cream, butter... would be able to enjoy the dinner without missing out on too much.

Don’t know all of the ingredients used but there is a course of smokey tomato soup and half of a grilled cheese sandwich. You would need to talk with executive Chef over the specialty restaurants on board to see if they could accommodate your allergies. Lots of seafood and beef is included. Dessert was cheesecake. With those allergies, you will need to speak with the chef about all of your meals as well as filling out the form before your trip. Hope it all works out for you.

Don’t know all of the ingredients used but there is a course of smokey tomato soup and half of a grilled cheese sandwich. You would need to talk with executive Chef over the specialty restaurants on board to see if they could accommodate your allergies. Lots of seafood and beef is included. Dessert was cheesecake. With those allergies, you will need to speak with the chef about all of your meals as well as filling out the form before your trip. Hope it all works out for you.

I had the the smoked tomato soup and did not care for it at all. I love a good grilled cheese. The grilled cheese here is a ridiculous waste when you have beautiful baguette and a big serving as amain course. The tenderloin was delightful but this meal cost us $96 + just for the 2 of us and that same wonderful piece of meat was offered in the YC restaurant at no extra charge.

I had the the smoked tomato soup and did not care for it at all. I love a good grilled cheese. The grilled cheese here is a ridiculous waste when you have beautiful baguette and a big serving as amain course. The tenderloin was delightful but this meal cost us $96 + just for the 2 of us and that same wonderful piece of meat was offered in the YC restaurant at no extra charge.

You must have gotten the 1/2 off deal cause ours was $101.20 each including gratuities.

No, but we were seated in front of the cooks and grills.

Yes thank you for clarifying that point for me. I did not quite understand the text of the MSC ad. This is the part that had me wondering, I quote: "

Your own Chef ... Your own Sommelier! The head Chef will cook exclusively for your table from the open and show kitchen that you will be facing." So the open and show kitchen must be what you describe as in front of the cooks etc. Very well and carefully worded MSC. I fail to see the exclusivity. Thank You for your reply.

I don't think we will go for this one. We were hoping for a more private evening, such as a table for two, etc. The idea of sitting with six strangers is not appealing in this case.

Cheers.

Yes thank you for clarifying that point for me. I did not quite understand the text of the MSC ad. This is the part that had me wondering, I quote: "

Your own Chef ... Your own Sommelier! The head Chef will cook exclusively for your table from the open and show kitchen that you will be facing." So the open and show kitchen must be what you describe as in front of the cooks etc. Very well and carefully worded MSC. I fail to see the exclusivity. Thank You for your reply.

I don't think we will go for this one. We were hoping for a more private evening, such as a table for two, etc. The idea of sitting with six strangers is not appealing in this case.

Cheers.

I would speak to the restaurant manager before giving up on it. Ask for a table for two and I think they would accommodate you. Yes it isn’t as described by MSC. I expected it to be more like on Holland America but it was still a good experience food wise.

We booked it by mistake ON XMAS!!!! I did not like how there was no menu to pick from. They basically told me what I was having. I asked for a filet instead of the pre-chosen cut (can't remember). It was undercooked. There are no baked potatoes for sides. Got some mashed potatoes that were just ok. Had risotto that was amazing! They subbed that instead of the shellfish appetizer. I really couldn't understand why they served fish in the steak restaurant. Fish place was next door. Dessert was a chocolate lava cake. Again,no choice there either. It was ok. Would I do it again? NO. Was it worth the money? NO

Would I eat there again but from the regular menu? YES

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We booked it by mistake ON XMAS!!!! I did not like how there was no menu to pick from. They basically told me what I was having. I asked for a filet instead of the pre-chosen cut (can't remember). It was undercooked. There are no baked potatoes for sides. Got some mashed potatoes that were just ok. Had risotto that was amazing! They subbed that instead of the shellfish appetizer. I really couldn't understand why they served fish in the steak restaurant. Fish place was next door. Dessert was a chocolate lava cake. Again,no choice there either. It was ok. Would I do it again? NO. Was it worth the money? NO

Would I eat there again but from the regular menu? YES

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Chef's tables. usually that is the way it works, it is supposed to be an exclusive and intimate dinner where your host is the Chef. Don't think of it as a restaurant, think of it as you being invited to a friends house. You would not ask your friend for a menu, would you? You would accept what is offered you in the style your friend wishes to prepare it. You would also expect the best the Chef has to offer in skill and products. In the best restaurants, the Chef might even cook by your table, modifying the meal to your taste. I would be very surprised that a ship this size could deliver such high level of service, for such a small price.

Cheers.

I would speak to the restaurant manager before giving up on it. Ask for a table for two and I think they would accommodate you. Yes it isn’t as described by MSC. I expected it to be more like on Holland America but it was still a good experience food wise.

Excellent idea Cruisegal, thank you. We will not book in advance but try your suggestion once on board.

Cheers.

On Chef's tables. usually that is the way it works, it is supposed to be an exclusive and intimate dinner where your host is the Chef. Don't think of it as a restaurant, think of it as you being invited to a friends house. You would not ask your friend for a menu, would you? You would accept what is offered you in the style your friend wishes to prepare it. You would also expect the best the Chef has to offer in skill and products. In the best restaurants, the Chef might even cook by your table, modifying the meal to your taste. I would be very surprised that a ship this size could deliver such high level of service, for such a small price.

Cheers.

Yes, this is the way it was on Holland. A private area with fixed menu. Chef explained each dish as presented and wine sommelier the wine served with each course. Seaside has it in the main restaurant of Butchers Cut so not private. We still enjoyed it very much. We let the sommelier chose our wine and didn't go wrong.

Cheers.

We were on Seaside last week and based on the reviews I am glad that we decided not to do the Chef's table. We enjoyed butcher's cut and saw the table where they do the Chef's table. It should be a more intimate setting, where, as described, you can see the chef preparing your meal.

MSC is describing something that they cannot provide.

• 3 weeks later...