Western Caribbean shopping

curlerguy

We are cruising on Carnival Valor in the western caribbean in March (cozumel, Grand Caymen, Belize, and Roatan). I am wondering which stop is the best bet for jewelry shopping. I think Cozumel has a Diamonds International, so am I right in assuming that this might be the best option? Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be very leary of buying any jewelry at a caribbean port even fom DI. Reading these boards and other cruise websites, there are so many horror stories of overvalued appraisals, counterfit stones, poor stone quality, defective settings etc.

We've had good success with jewelry shopping in St Martin, St Kitts, Curacoa, and at the alaskan ports of call. A friend of my wife who is a jeweler has looked at our buys and always approves. We do however stay to established stores like DI and Little switzerland.

My wife and I were on the Conquest in Aug. 2004 in Cozumel. The shopping was great and I did purchase my wife a 3 diamond, past/present/future ring from DI. The service was great and so was the price. We had had the ring appraised here at home and were told we got a real bargain. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase in Cozumel again.

A fun side story is that on the Conques, anyone who purchased jewelry was eligible for their raffle and my wife actually won the matching 3 diamond neclace from DI!!!!

Diamonds International now has a store in Belize too. There are also many jewelry shops in Grand Cayman, but i have never bought jewelry there. Unless something has changed, there is litle shoping other than craft stores in Roatan.

That;s cool I am going on the Valor in April. I heard carnival changed Cozumel to Costa Maya for all of 2006 but haven't seen anything on the site or get a call like this guy did. Just a heads up. Hopefully there will be some good deals since we forking over so much anyways:cool:

We are cruising on Carnival Valor in the western caribbean in March (cozumel, Grand Caymen, Belize, and Roatan). I am wondering which stop is the best bet for jewelry shopping. I think Cozumel has a Diamonds International, so am I right in assuming that this might be the best option? Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

I have been on 10 cruises and every cruise port I have been to including Alaska ports had Diamonds Internationial-I do believe they are where ever cruise ships go.

Hands down....COZUMEL!!

You'll find the people friendly, the prices fantastic and the stores with a wide variety of items.

Head to Los Cinco Soles and Diamonds International...I scored a beautiful tanzanite ring there for next to nothing. :D

Cozumel for jewelry

Grand Cayman for watches also have an idea what your in the market for and do some scouting before you leave. Most important of all remeber your BROKE and get the price lowered at least 3 times before you even think about buying.They respect the haggling.Its part of the culture.

Also don't forget the ships for jewelry, but wait for the sales.My wife got a diamond and tanzinite ring and it was officially aprraised 4oo over what we paid for it from our local appraiser not the ship.

Happy hunting

Jeff

P.s. the deals are still there if you are willing to put the time into the deal.

Got off the Valor a couple weeks ago, you will probably be in Costa Maya instead of Cozumel.

Our itinerary was

Gr Cayman Tuesday (buy your booze here, cheaper than on board, and you don't have to go thru hassle of price-matching)

Honduras Wed no shopping, but a good taxidriver can take you to local stores where Vanilla and coffee are half of what others charge, go to Gias for a HUGE seafood lunch, only order 1 Eldons special to split for 2, both will be filled up for $22US

Belize Thursday shops in the port

Costa Maya Friday, 'created' shopping port at Pier, check other boards for shopping with DI, Tanzanite. Best thing here is checking for islands marketing Beach Break at Pez Quadro, $30/pp, all good drinks free.

Enjoy! Great ship. Loved everything except boarding/debarking

Archived