Carnival Magic to Belize and Roatan

beshears

We plan to do the western cruise the end of March, and have been to most of the ports, other than Belize and Roatan. We are not into snorkeling or zip lining, but we do like the beach, and like checking out the territory itself. Can you give me an idea of something that we might want to see while visiting these ports?

If you go to the port sections of these forums and click on the port you want to research you will get many, many ideas and reviews. The couple of times we have gone to Belize we have gone to a beach area called "Blue Key" something (cannot remember the full name). Took a taxi right outside of port ($2 a person one way, 10 min drive) and it was beautiful. Has a restaurant/bar (the bar is the one with the swings at the bar to sit in that you may have seen in pictures), beach massages (DH got a 30 min massage, on the beach, for $20, he loved it) and we chilled there all afternoon (when we were ready to go back to ship the reastaurant called the taxi service to come and pick us up, truthfully there were taxi's waiting outside the beach already waiting). We are aslo going the end of March (Magic) and will be heading to same place for the day.

For Roatan, my best beach stop is West End Beach - many "beach club resorts" as well as Tabyana. Forget the ugly, crowded man made beach next to the port, IMO.

For Belize, there are great Mayan ruins at Lamanai and Xanantunich which will give you a chance to check out local scenery. Some tours bus it one way and river boat the other. Forget the minor ruins at Altun Ha.

For more info, check the port of calls thread. JMO, YMMV.

We've done cave tubing in Belize through an independent company - cavetubing dot bz and enjoyed it. We did the River Wallace & Altun Ha tour once, but I think it was the hottest day of the year. It was in May, so you may not have to worry about heat since you are going earlier in the year.

Mahogany Bay has a beach right there, but it is pretty crowded. I would hang out there again if I just didn't want to spend money on an excursion, but it wouldn't be the highlight of my trip. I did enjoy the lift chair that went back & forth to the beach. Nice view from up there. We usually go diving with Anthony's Key Resort when we are there, so I can't offer much on other excursions there. Our neighbors did an all inclusive day pass there, but I don't know exactly where they went.

If you go to the port sections of these forums and click on the port you want to research you will get many, many ideas and reviews. The couple of times we have gone to Belize we have gone to a beach area called "Blue Key" something (cannot remember the full name). Took a taxi right outside of port ($2 a person one way, 10 min drive) and it was beautiful. Has a restaurant/bar (the bar is the one with the swings at the bar to sit in that you may have seen in pictures), beach massages (DH got a 30 min massage, on the beach, for $20, he loved it) and we chilled there all afternoon (when we were ready to go back to ship the reastaurant called the taxi service to come and pick us up, truthfully there were taxi's waiting outside the beach already waiting). We are aslo going the end of March (Magic) and will be heading to same place for the day.
This sounds like Costa Maya. Are you sure it was Belize ? My understanding is it's not terribly safe to leave the port in Belize if you are not with an excursion.

Thanks you all for your responses. I am going to check and see if it is Roatan or Costa Maya where the Blue Key/Kay beach is, as I want to check this out.

Drazel65, it looks like we will be on the same cruise.:)

I did Google it, and found that Blue Kay was in Costa Maya, and that is fine, and hopefully we will be able to go to that area while there.
I was looking (somewhere, don't remember where, ha) and saw something about a beach day for $45 there. On mitsugirly's most recent review from November, they told her while she was there that you can use the beach for $5-7 I think it was. That amount is applied to the cost of food or drink that you purchase there was how I understood it. Hope you guys have a fantastic time !