Help! Shopping AND beach?

MomSwag

Due to a work conflict for our daughter, we just found out that the cruise we are planning in April will have to be shortened.

:(

Now, we will only be going to Cozumel. We aren't interested in excursions, and would like to explore on our own instead.

What's the best way to fit in shopping, sightseeing AND beach time for our family? We probably wouldn't spend more than an hour (maybe two) on the beach.

I need suggestions for the cheapest way to visit a beach, a nice shopping area, restaurants and at least one landmark/physical place we need to see/visit! (If possible!)

Is it even possible to fit all of that in?

(We'll be sailing with Carnival in April)

Not much sightseeing on Cozumel - it is an island and most of the focus is on the water and the beaches. How long are you in port? What pier?

There's shopping at every pier and also downtown (just a short, under $10 cab ride away).

For an hour or two of "beach" time I would head to the Money Bar -- taxi will run about $11 each way for up to 4 passengers in the cab. No real sandy beach (you enter the water via steps), but good snorkeling from the shore, great facilities, no admission fee, lockers, and good food, drinks and service. They have a sandy area for sunning and relaxing and lots of tables, chairs, and loungers with a view of the shore/sea. Spend 2+ hours here swimming and sunning and order some drinks/snacks and then taxi to downtown for shopping, etc.

You could hire a driver by the hour (rates are posted on the cab fare board, or book ahead with Black Hat or Cozumel Tours) to take your group to the far side of the island - beautiful beaches (with big waves and dangerous currents :eek: ) and some funky beach bars. If desired you could also see the San Gervasio Mayan ruins - very small and not impressive IMHO (and bring bug spray. 3-4 hours will get you around to much of the island (with no more than a 30 min stop at San Gervasio) and have the driver drop you off at The Money Bar for an hour or 2+, then taxi to downtown or the ship.

Good luck with your planning and you r cruise! :D

I’m gonna make a couple of assumptions here and try to answer most of your questions. If your departure is Galveston you’ll have either 8 or 9 hours in port, giving you effectively 6 or 7 hours to kill, maybe a little more.

I don’t know what you mean by “nice” shopping area but there is a bunch of shopping at the port itself. It’s the usual stuff the cruise lines have set up at lots of ports but if your new to cruising that may suffice. I love the Ron Jon’s store at the Carnival port.

If you plan to leave the port area to shop there is a downtown shopping area that is a short taxi ride. Again, not especially “nice” but a little more authentic than the port area shopping. Personally, I don’t shop in ports anymore so others may have better information.

Beaches in Cozumel are also a short cab ride away. I don’t know of a walk up beach but the Carnival port has a little man made sandy area with lounge chairs. Not much to it really. The cheapest choice is probably Paradise Beach at $3 pp. The cab ride is about $15 each way for a party of up to 4. If it’s just the two of you I recommend asking others in the cab line if they’re going there and split the cab fare. We almost always find someone going but rarely returning. And that means a straight shot not going downtown shopping.

As for historical landmarks there ain’t much there. There’s some fake Mayan ruins called San Gervasio that some folks go see but I’ve been to the real thing and would have no interest in such a trip, particularly considering the cost of the cab ride.

There are all sorts of restaurants both in the port area and in Cozumel itself. The food at Paradise Beach is quite good and reasonably priced as well.

So in conclusion here is my suggestion. Forget the landmark part. There’s just nothing that interesting. Catch a cab to PB and enjoy the facilities there. Have some lunch there. Leave with plenty of time to have the cab drop you in the downtown shopping area. Enjoy that as long as you like and take a cab back to the port. Check the shopping out there and meander your way back to the ship. You can also substitute eating at PB for eating downtown.

I’m sure others will have different ideas and might even know a landmark I’m not aware of. Whatever you do have a great time.