Need for passport to disembark in Panama,Costa Rica, Colombia on closed-loop cruise?

rulam

I am a US citizen who is planning to go on a closed loop cruise to/ from Miami which will be stopping at various Caribbean and Central American ports.

These ports include: Costa Rica, Colombia, Panama, Mexico, and Jamaica.

I know that US citizens on closed loop cruises in Western hemisphere are not required to carry a passport and that most Caribbean ports of call only require that you show a picture ID along with your sail card to disembark. But I am not sure if this includes ports of call like Costa Rica, Panama, and Colombia.

My questions therefore are:

• If any of these ports of call require a valid passport would I be denied access to the cruise at the port of origin (ie. Miami) if I only have a driver' license and birth certificate?
  • Has anyone recently travelled on a cruise to central america and been required to show a US passport to disembark or reembark in either Puerto Limon (Costa Rica), Colon (Panama), or Cartagena (Colombia) ?

• 1 month later...

We just got back from a Southern Caribbean cruise that visited all 3 destinations - Cartagena, Panama, and Costa Rica, each for the day At our first stop (Aruba) and some of the subsequent ones, the ship people said to take our driver's licenses in addition to our ship ID, but nobody ever asked for anything. We didn't see any government officials and had no issues walking off the ship to our excursions. If you arrive by air, that would be a whole different story. We also didn't have to have any special immunizations. We were told to have insect repellent, which we carried but never needed it on the tours we took.