Haven’t cruised in a long time. Please help picking 2018 cruise.

wny4ever

My wife and I are in our early 60s and looking for a nice cruise experience to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary this yesterday. We have been on 2 cruises long ago - 1988 & 2008. Both were with RCCL, to the Caribbean (Western & Eastern). We were directed to RCCL by a travel agent for a more “classy” cruise than a “fun ship”. We were very satisfied both times. However, much could have changed in the cruise industry since then. We are seeking recommendations on cruise line, cruise ship, destination. We are thinking of a Caribbean, Bahamas or Alaskan cruise, about 7 days, at a reasonable cost. We like dining, entertainment, ports of call excursions.

A specific question is since we have been on 2 RCCL cruises, are there any significant advantages to staying with RCCL this time?

Your advice and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

... A specific question is since we have been on 2 RCCL cruises, are there any significant advantages to staying with RCCL this time?

No significant advantage to staying with RC with only two past cruises.

I definitely can say there has been a noticeable change in all cruising since 1988. RCL is a great cruise for sure, but some of the ships are definitely geared toward families with kids and lots of outside activities (climbing, flow rider). It's not a "party" line but definitely is a "fun" line. How about Bermuda? Anthem is a wonderful ship.

Congrats on your 40th!! As far as returning to RCI due to your previous cruising history, membership does have it privileges. Contact the Crown and Anchor Society to sign up and see if they give you credit for your past history, I am sure there are others who know more about that and you will get a few coupons loaded on to your sea pass.

As far as lines go, I would think that you would enjoy RCI again, but in my opinion they cater more towards families, there are a lot of activities on all of their ships (ie the flow riders, rock climbing walls, ice skating rink etc).

My favorite cruise line is Celebrity, they do not have all the activities like RCI. Their motto is “Modern Luxury”. I think the food and service are both better on Celebrity. The passengers on Celebrity are a bit older than on RCI and fewer families depending on time of year. Spring break, summer and holiday cruises will have more children that other times of the year.

As far as ships go, I am partial to the Solstice Class of ship on Celebrity, they are simply amazing. On RCI I love the Oasis and Radiance Class of ship. The Oasis class are the largest ships at sea, while the Radiance Class are much smaller, but are my my favorite class of ship! I enjoyed the Freedom Class, but they are not may favorite. I have not been on the other classes.

Destinations are really a personal choice, I really enjoy all itineraries in the Caribbean, and not really a big fan of the Bahamas. My favorite cruise ever was to Alaska. We do go to the Caribbean every year, but I am looking forward to returning to Alaska in 2019.

I know my answer are very vague, but if you have more specific questions maybe we can help more!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m not an expert - only two cruises under my belt. But having sailed on RCI and Celebrity, I’d pick Celebrity if I were going with just my husband. In fact, we were just talking about it today. The entertainment isn’t as good but the food is better. But it’s all so personal. We really did enjoy Oasis with all our children, but it’s a big ship with a lot of people, and my husband is a vet with PTSD. We liked that Celebrity was a little quieter and more romantic too.

My wife and I are in our early 60s and looking for a nice cruise experience to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary this yesterday. We have been on 2 cruises long ago - 1988 & 2008. Both were with RCCL, to the Caribbean (Western & Eastern). We were directed to RCCL by a travel agent for a more “classy” cruise than a “fun ship”. We were very satisfied both times. However, much could have changed in the cruise industry since then. We are seeking recommendations on cruise line, cruise ship, destination. We are thinking of a Caribbean, Bahamas or Alaskan cruise, about 7 days, at a reasonable cost. We like dining, entertainment, ports of call excursions.

A specific question is since we have been on 2 RCCL cruises, are there any significant advantages to staying with RCCL this time?

Congrats on your 40th! As far as sticking with Royal Caribbean? Well it depends on weather or not you want a slightly different cruising experience. The last 3 cruises I've been on here been between NCL and Carnival.(so far Royal Caribbean and Norwegian has been the best experience for me.

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app

Definitely suggest talking with a travel agent. They do not charge for their services (and if yours does move to another) as they would be the best to help you. If you give them your budget, they can offer you suggestions that fit your price range.

My suggestion is to go to Bermuda.

Definitely suggest talking with a travel agent. They do not charge for their services (and if yours does move to another) as they would be the best to help you. If you give them your budget, they can offer you suggestions that fit your price range.

My suggestion is to go to Bermuda.

Great suggestion. Bermuda's nice especially during the summer months