Confused about Roayal IQ and Voom

AnnetteSC

We're sailing in 40 days on Harmony. I purchased a Voom one device package for the cruise. While reading here, I learned that there is the Royal IQ app that enables you to text and call between you and your family. I understand there is cost involved.

I am not sure I understood everything correctly so I'm asking here:

1)I think to use Royal IQ app on board, you pay $8? Is that per day or per cruise?

2) If you purchased Voom, do you still need to purchase for the use of Royal IQ?

3) How does the app work? I mean, do you have to change the settings on your phone to use it? I wouldn't want any surprises from my cellular service carrier...

Anything else I need to know on this subject?

I'd really appreciate detailed info on this matter. Thanks!

The $8 Royal IQ fee is per device, per cruise.

VOOM and Royal IQ are unrelated. If you want to text other devices using the Royal IQ app, you need to pay the $8 texting fee, whether you have VOOM or not.

Sorry, I don't have the details of the operation of the app.

3) How does the app work? I mean, do you have to change the settings on your phone to use it? I wouldn't want any surprises from my cellular service carrier...

Anything else I need to know on this subject?

Everyone that pays for the texting option inside the app gets a number and you have to set that up as the number to which you text - sorta like a parallel address book to the one you already have in the phone.

As long as you keep your phone in plane mode all the time you won't get any charges,

If you have iPhones, you are very likely be able to text each other without any VOOM or app. Just connect to the ship's WiFi and assuming you have WiFi calling enabled (do this before you get on the ship) texting should work, free.

... If you have iPhones, you are very likely be able to text each other without any VOOM or app. Just connect to the ship's WiFi and assuming you have WiFi calling enabled (do this before you get on the ship) texting should work, free.

I thought this was limited to using iMessage. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall anyone saying WiFi calling worked without VOOM.:confused:

Everyone that pays for the texting option inside the app gets a number and you have to set that up as the number to which you text - sorta like a parallel address book to the one you already have in the phone.

As long as you keep your phone in plane mode all the time you won't get any charges,

If you have iPhones, you are very likely be able to text each other without any VOOM or app. Just connect to the ship's WiFi and assuming you have WiFi calling enabled (do this before you get on the ship) texting should work, free.

Ahhh I wish I knew this. We had Voom (one device package) and ended up paying $8 for two devices to have the ability send messages through the Royal IQ app. You are saying we would have been able to imessage each other on board without wifi?

Ahhh I wish I knew this. We had Voom (one device package) and ended up paying $8 for two devices to have the ability send messages through the Royal IQ app. You are saying we would have been able to imessage each other on board without wifi?

That is what's been reported from those ships that support the Royal IQ app. Who knows when or if they will fix the bug, or just abandon the Royal IQ app and go to the newer app at some point.

I thought this was limited to using iMessage. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall anyone saying WiFi calling worked without VOOM.:confused:

I think you have to enable WiFi calling to allow iMessage texting to work over WiFi - I could have written that part a bit clearer. No, calling doesn't work, just texting via iMessage.

I think you have to enable WiFi calling to allow iMessage texting to work over WiFi - I could have written that part a bit clearer. No, calling doesn't work, just texting via iMessage.

I don't think that you need WiFi calling for iMessage. My wife had been using iMessage for years before WiFi calling was ever available. It's just another internet messaging app, like WhatsApp.

Thanks for all your answers but I'm still not clear (sorry)...

The three of us have iPhones. I purchased the Voom one device to keep in touch with the rest of the family back home. Since we have our DD15 on this trip, we want to make sure we can communicate with each other in case she's at a teen's club. We plan on paying the $8 pp to use the Royal IQ app.

What I think I learned is that you put your phone in airplane mode, enable WiFi calling and you're all set. If I understood correctly, some people with iPhones are able to message each other without using the assigned number Royal IQ gives you. Is this correct?

Also, Royal IQ allows you to text each other only when you're on board. What happens when you're at port?

you can try and find a free wifi hotspot at the port. Keep your phone in airplane mode so you wont incur roaming charges in the different islands; or you can get an int'l plan with your cell phone company before you leave home

you can try and find a free wifi hotspot at the port. Keep your phone in airplane mode so you wont incur roaming charges in the different islands; or you can get an int'l plan with your cell phone company before you leave home

Thank you!

Thanks for all your answers but I'm still not clear (sorry)...

The three of us have iPhones. I purchased the Voom one device to keep in touch with the rest of the family back home. Since we have our DD15 on this trip, we want to make sure we can communicate with each other in case she's at a teen's club. We plan on paying the $8 pp to use the Royal IQ app.

What I think I learned is that you put your phone in airplane mode, enable WiFi calling and you're all set. If I understood correctly, some people with iPhones are able to message each other without using the assigned number Royal IQ gives you. Is this correct?

Also, Royal IQ allows you to text each other only when you're on board. What happens when you're at port?

For those phones on which you want to use iMessage, put the phone in Airplane Mode and turn on WiFi. Connect to the Royal WiFi wireless service. iMessage should work now, without having to purchase VOOM or Royal IQ. This will only work on the ship (and only on Harmony and Quantum class ships), not in port.

For those phones on which you want to use iMessage, put the phone in Airplane Mode and turn on WiFi. Connect to the Royal WiFi wireless service. iMessage should work now, without having to purchase VOOM or Royal IQ. This will only work on the ship (and only on Harmony and Quantum class ships), not in port.

Thanks! I already purchased Voom one device for communication with family at home but not Royal IQ. In case the iMessage should not work, we can always buy the R-IQ on board, right?

Is it $8 on board also or is it more expensive?

Thanks! I already purchased Voom one device for communication with family at home but not Royal IQ. In case the iMessage should not work, we can always buy the R-IQ on board, right?

Is it $8 on board also or is it more expensive?

Yes, you can purchase Royal IQ texting on board for $7.95 per device. I would download the program before you get on the ship. Remember, the iMessage free texting bug has only been reported on Harmony and Quantum class ships.

Question, I finally understand how to use voom with my i phone :p but I'm wondering about receiving calls from the states. I assume I can receive calls, correct? Does it cost the caller, in the states, more money to call me on the ship? Can I check voicemail with voom? Thanks so much!!

I assume I can receive calls, correct? Does it cost the caller, in the states, more money to call me on the ship? Can I check voicemail with voom?

The phone works (and costs) the same as if you were in the US connected to a cell tower. In case of a crappy VOOM connection, you may have poorer quality calls.

Question, I finally understand how to use voom with my i phone :p but I'm wondering about receiving calls from the states. I assume I can receive calls, correct? Does it cost the caller, in the states, more money to call me on the ship? Can I check voicemail with voom? Thanks so much!!

When your phone is connected via WiFi Calling, it is the same as if you are on cellular back home. That's important, for example, if you are on WiFi in a foreign country, and you try to call a phone number in that foreign country, you will be charged as if you making the call from back home.