Seaside - changed this site for the worse?

nikkiw60

Nikki ... The helpful people are still here but sadly so are those with a personal hate agenda against MSC it would seem, some of whom appear to be so called travel agents who clearly have an issue with MSC and giving a bad name to the good among them, then there are those One post wonders as well.

I have no problem with people who on any cruise line that have genuine issues that they have made a case for but I do not tolerate fools or the plain stupid who have posted what can only be described as nonsense and a work of Fiction.

As more reviews come out and it looks like things are beginning to turn as can be seen from the latest posted reviews on the boards, the whingers and whiners will diminish in number.

My own review from our Xmas sailing has had a lot of positive feedback both here and elsewhere, yes it mentions a few issues but not something to walk around all week with your chin on the floor for !

A lot of people sailing on MSC do not understand the Italian way of doing things and think they should jump just because they said so, yes there are certain things like blocked toilets etc that you expect would be an immediate thing. The,y like the military have a chain of command and when a given complaint arrives at its destination it is dealt with.

But like the Greeks who have their own word " Avrio" which means Tomorrow, the Italians have the same mentality. Patience is a virtue so they say but sadly many people have none.

A lot of people sailing on MSC do not understand the Italian way of doing things and think they should jump just because they said so, yes there are certain things like blocked toilets etc that you expect would be an immediate thing. The,y like the military have a chain of command and when a given complaint arrives at its destination it is dealt with.

But like the Greeks who have their own word " Avrio" which means Tomorrow, the Italians have the same mentality. Patience is a virtue so they say but sadly many people have none.

...and perhaps that's why the Greek economy became, what's the word? "Skata" :P (if we're on the subject of blocked toilets, etc :))

Is it just me or has this board changed since the arrival of Seaside?

It has all become a bit nasty and rude?

Not just friendly and helpful like before?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nikki, I totally agree.....It has become very divisive. Lots of misunderstandings and disappointed expectations...more from experienced cruisers who were expecting a more familiar experience. I admit...I'm one of the "negative" feedback posters. I'm just disappointed....When I saw the pictures and videos of Seaside I was awestruck. When I read what I thought they were moving towards ...I was hopeful. Unfortunately it just appears MSC is another option to Costa. Been there done that. But I do respect the other side and I am no longer pushing what I thought was misleading advertising . During our heated exchanges...good points have been raised from the pro MSC group perspective as well. We all have options and I am just glad I found out ,before committing, about the cruising experience on MSC to redirect my vacation dollars elsewhere. I wish everyone a wonderful cruise experience on MSC and especially the Seaside.

Nikki ... The helpful people are still here but sadly so are those with a personal hate agenda against MSC it would seem, some of whom appear to be so called travel agents who clearly have an issue with MSC and giving a bad name to the good among them, then there are those One post wonders as well.

I have no problem with people who on any cruise line that have genuine issues that they have made a case for but I do not tolerate fools or the plain stupid who have posted what can only be described as nonsense and a work of Fiction.

As more reviews come out and it looks like things are beginning to turn as can be seen from the latest posted reviews on the boards, the whingers and whiners will diminish in number.

My own review from our Xmas sailing has had a lot of positive feedback both here and elsewhere, yes it mentions a few issues but not something to walk around all week with your chin on the floor for !

Sid-

I concur. But I think there are several factors involved.

1) Misery loves company. Many people like to complain about almost anything. These are the people who say the whole cruise sucked, as if everything could be bad. It's absurd on its face as a factual argument, but that is how they feel. Unfortunately, many readers fail to distinguish between fact and feeling.

2) Bargain hunters. MSC does offer incredibly cheap pricing. This attracts cruisers who are straining to afford their vacations. They can't afford to spend any more onboard, yet they expect to receive the services of a much more expensive cruise. Many seem to miss the difference between price and value. They are receiving value for their dollar as they wouldn't be able to afford a trip at all otherwise. Yet they fail to see that at least to some extent price is an indicator of expectations. If only pay the price to stay at a Motel 6, you should expect to receive similar amenities, regardless of the marketing. Even Motel 6 marketing would make it sound like a lovely destination. You notice that the proportion of complainers goes down as their sailing class rises from Bella to Aurea. Almost no YC complaints.

3)Xenophobia to some degree. Less that Americans hate foreigners, but more that they only appreciate what they consider to be "American" customs and norms. Notice that CC'ers who are more extensively traveled have fewer complaints about MSC. This has as much to do with the character of those who travel as it does with MSC. I would agree that MSC has a different vibe, but you, me and the others that have/do enjoy MSC like that, while most of the complainers don't.

The only responsibility MSC bears in this from my perspective is perhaps the use of the word "cater", as in the first ship to cater to the American market. I don't think they meant built to "please" the American market, but rather simply that it was built specifically to sail American itineraries, and to be marketed to Americans. People see the word cater and think it means they are trying to please them.

I am only upset by all this because of the power of a few to dissuade others from embarking on what would be an enjoyable trip, and worse to cause those who go despite their concerns to be on the lookout for reasons to be dissatisfied. I have no problem with those who say they had a great time, yet still point out a few things that either went wrong for them or could be improved, as these are true of almost EVERY trip/cruise. it is the blanket generalizations, exaggerations, and nit-picking that are the problem.

I'll be onboard next month (In the YC) and I know I will have a great time.

Sid-

1) Misery loves company. Many people like to complain about almost anything. These are the people who say the whole cruise sucked, as if everything could be bad. It's absurd on its face as a factual argument, but that is how they feel. Unfortunately, many readers fail to distinguish between fact and feeling.

2) Bargain hunters. MSC does offer incredibly cheap pricing. This attracts cruisers who are straining to afford their vacations. They can't afford to spend any more onboard, yet they expect to receive the services of a much more expensive cruise. Many seem to miss the difference between price and value. They are receiving value for their dollar as they wouldn't be able to afford a trip at all otherwise. Yet they fail to see that at least to some extent price is an indicator of expectations. If only pay the price to stay at a Motel 6, you should expect to receive similar amenities, regardless of the marketing. Even Motel 6 marketing would make it sound like a lovely destination. You notice that the proportion of complainers goes down as their sailing class rises from Bella to Aurea. Almost no YC complaints.

3)Xenophobia to some degree. Less that Americans hate foreigners, but more that they only appreciate what they consider to be "American" customs and norms. Notice that CC'ers who are more extensively traveled have fewer complaints about MSC. This has as much to do with the character of those who travel as it does with MSC. I would agree that MSC has a different vibe, but you, me and the others that have/do enjoy MSC like that, while most of the complainers don't.

The only responsibility MSC bears in this from my perspective is perhaps the use of the word "cater", as in the first ship to cater to the American market. I don't think they meant built to "please" the American market, but rather simply that it was built specifically to sail American itineraries, and to be marketed to Americans. People see the word cater and think it means they are trying to please them.

I am only upset by all this because of the power of a few to dissuade others from embarking on what would be an enjoyable trip, and worse to cause those who go despite their concerns to be on the lookout for reasons to be dissatisfied. I have no problem with those who say they had a great time, yet still point out a few things that either went wrong for them or could be improved, as these are true of almost EVERY trip/cruise. it is the blanket generalizations, exaggerations, and nit-picking that are the problem.

What you wrote is SO true, especially point #3. I read one thread that took MSC to task for basically false advertising, for in effect promising a cruise tailored mostly or exclusively to American tastes and then failing to provide it. Thing is, I read the same promotional materials and came away with a very different understanding of their strategy. What I understood their promo materials and press releases was a European style cruising experience, with some nods to the American market. For example, unlike previous ships imported from Europe to sail the Caribbean, the Seaside was purpose built for Miami, even including architectural nods to the Miami style. But while MSC does seem to be promising something more of an American feel, they've also made it clear that (in order to distinguish themselves from other cruise lines) they will retain their essentially European character. That includes food and drinks, announcements in multiple languages, and a more laidback service model. I think it's a smart strategy. Any company trying to break into or expand in an established market has to do something different than simply copy everybody else. We had a choice of lots of cruise lines when booking this vacation, all excellent choices. But what stood apart for us was the MSC's Italian heritage.

""3)Xenophobia to some degree. Less that Americans hate foreigners, but more that they only appreciate what they consider to be "American" customs and norms. Notice that CC'ers who are more extensively traveled have fewer complaints about MSC. This has as much to do with the character of those who travel as it does with MSC. I would agree that MSC has a different vibe, but you, me and the others that have/do enjoy MSC like that, while most of the complainers don't.""

Oppyguy... Well stated .... It seems most of the MSC liker's have a more worldwide cruising experience. Just looking at past cruising experience...It shows that in their signature lines. That makes a huge difference. To be perfectly honest....If I wanted to cruise in Europe or other places abroad....MSC would be my #1 choice. I expect a different experience when I cruise/vacation abroad

But when they start promoting in "my back yard" which may have been a wrong use of wording (as stated above) and don't appear to be offering what I was expecting...now we have a disconnect. Thanks

Sid-

Very well stated. Pretty much sums up my point of view. Thank you.

We're also sailing next month on 2/17. Which sailing are you on?

""3)Xenophobia to some degree. Less that Americans hate foreigners, but more that they only appreciate what they consider to be "American" customs and norms. Notice that CC'ers who are more extensively traveled have fewer complaints about MSC. This has as much to do with the character of those who travel as it does with MSC. I would agree that MSC has a different vibe, but you, me and the others that have/do enjoy MSC like that, while most of the complainers don't.""

Oppyguy... Well stated .... It seems most of the MSC liker's have a more worldwide cruising experience. Just looking at past cruising experience...It shows that in their signature lines. That makes a huge difference. To be perfectly honest....If I wanted to cruise in Europe or other places abroad....MSC would be my #1 choice. I expect a different experience when I cruise/vacation abroad

But when they start promoting in "my back yard" which may have been a wrong use of wording (as stated above) and don't appear to be offering what I was expecting...now we have a disconnect. Thanks

Glad to see your finally moving on from your 'troll' persona. I think I understand your bitterness toward MSC. Maybe you just needed to vent. I've been looking forward to Seaside for well over a year as have most of us. I see where MSC has disappointed quite a few seasoned American cruisers. Only time will tell if they missed the mark with Seaside.

They won't be the first cruise line to make a mistake. I seem to recall there was quite a debate over the design of the bathrooms on the NCL Epic. I for one thought they were innovative, but I only sail with my wife. For non-couples it was not the best design in the world.

I remember a few years ago when I first went on the Divina and there were many bad reviews. However as I read them I realized that many of the complaints wouldn't bother me at all. Two hours for dinner, no problem: crew didn't speak English, well I'm sure some could; different food than I am used to; could be interesting; hard to find my way around, the walk will do me good (More of a problem for those with mobility issues); hard to get a drink, well that was a concern but I never had that problem; toilet not working, that could be bad but fortunately I didn't have that problem either. Most of the people who had a good cruise on the Seaside will not bother to write here but certainly those who had problems want to share them with somebody, anybody else. I knew that going on a ship so new as the Seaside that there would be some challenges but I took the chance. I found the crew to be delightful. There were communication challenges but I got through it somehow. I expected there to be problems in the main dining room, but we had an outstanding waiter who attended to all of our requests (I know not everyone was so lucky). OK, maybe his assistant wasn't always there with the water, but at least he always left a bottle or two of wine on the table (We had the free drinks with meals package). There were six of us and we never had a problem getting a seat in the deck 8 buffet so I don't know why so many people bring up this issue, am I just lucky? I had an awesome time on the Seaside and due to the poor weather I didn't even get to experience all she has to offer. So I am planning on giving MSC another chance but this time I won't go in January and I will wait until Ocean Cay is completed and receiving guests, March 2019 sounds good if I can avoid all those annoying Spring breakers.

Glad to see your finally moving on from your 'troll' persona. I think I understand your bitterness toward MSC. Maybe you just needed to vent. I've been looking forward to Seaside for well over a year as have most of us. I see where MSC has disappointed quite a few seasoned American cruisers. Only time will tell if they missed the mark with Seaside.

They won't be the first cruise line to make a mistake. I seem to recall there was quite a debate over the design of the bathrooms on the NCL Epic. I for one thought they were innovative, but I only sail with my wife. For non-couples it was not the best design in the world.

100% agree with you on Epic bathroom setup....LOL

I must say my opinion probably counts for little due to the fact we have only sailed with MSC and in the Med at that but we thoroughly enjoyed our cruises and made the most of the things which weren't "just like home".

I work in a TA and we always advise clients in regard to reviews: its more likely for a disgruntled traveller to come home and post a poor review than a satisfied guest to come home and write a glowing one.

What we expect is subjective, you need to book your experiences accordingly. There there are definitely some people that have their holiday ruined prior to even departing by being hung up on the what ifs, poor reviews and worry. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I've been lurking a while and don't participate enough but have gotten insightful info on CC and am glad to see improving reviews for Seaside as they iron out the teething problems.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Forums mobile app

Our first cruise was on a brand new ship the very first sailing with paying customers. Whups.

I think the thing that we discovered on that cruise applies to Seaside and probably really any newer ship. At least for those who frequent CC, at any rate. And that issue is the not knowing. Those of us who frequent CC largely do so because we want to be informed.

Sure there are a few issues that just can't be solved by foreknowledge like clogged toilets, sewer odors, an AC that won't turn on in an inside or oceanview, or the inability to lock up your passport and such in the safe. Those things definitely are of concern. Most of the things I'm seeing mentioned as concerns could be alleviated by being proactive. Every ship you sail on is going to have a few things that are not exactly to your own tastes and that's just the way the cookie crumbles. Hence why I've been making notes and asking loads of questions.

We cruise on the Seaside in less than 2 weeks and I'm looking forward to it being our best cruise yet. :cool: