Koningsdam Spa

cruisencrazy

We are sailing on the Koningsdam next month. Was wondering about a pass on our 10 day cruise, to use the heated tables and therapy pool. Has anyone done this? Did you like it? Do you recall the price? Did the spa feel crowded? Thanks in advance for your replies :)

We just got off the Koningsdam and I had the 10-day spa package. For one person it cost $199, or for a couple, $299. I used it every day, on sea days I was there 2-3 times. It never felt at all crowded when I was there (mornings on sea days, plus around 4-5 each afternoon), I don't think there were really ever more than 10 people there at a time. I was told they would sell only 60 passes. If all the 10-day passes are sold, they would not sell day passes (at $40 per day). Some people were there with day passes later in the cruise, so I assume not all the 10-day passes were sold. I would get the package again in a heartbeat. Loved the steam rooms (with eucalyptus), lounging on those heated beds, and that giant bubbling (very strong bubbling) thermal pool with the massaging super strong jets of water. My skin felt amazing (I come from a dry cold climate so I really noticed that!) I didn't utilize the dry sauna nor the various rain showers. Very nice area, relaxing, quiet. Plain water, infused water and cranberry juice are always available.

The steam rooms quit working a few days into the cruise - a broken part that they didn't have a replacement for and I was refunded $50 for the inconvenience which I thought fair. I was disappointed though, that large steam room in particular is awesome.

Unfortunately they ruined the key feature of the spa on the Koningsdam: the hydropool.

It's not what we have on the Vista clas ships. It's shallow, there are no side jets (key difference). It looks impressive to those who are not aware of the details, but in fact it's a poor substitude.

We are spa people. The ersatz hydropool is one of the reasons why we avoid Koningsdam.

Thanks for your post, ronbe65. I love the Hydropool on the Vista and Signature Class ships. I'd appreciate your definition of "shallow" in the Koningsdam's pool. Your estimate of depth, please?

Unfortunately they ruined the key feature of the spa on the Koningsdam: the hydropool.

It's not what we have on the Vista clas ships. It's shallow, there are no side jets (key difference). It looks impressive to those who are not aware of the details, but in fact it's a poor substitude.

We are spa people. The ersatz hydropool is one of the reasons why we avoid Koningsdam.

QUESTION: We are booked Transatlantic on Deck 10, far forward, right next to the Spa. Deck Plan shows Spa/Salon on both Deck 9 and 10. Where is the Hydropool and heated loungers, Deck 9 or 10 ? I called their 'HAL-Gal', she doesn't know...

This is exactly how we felt. Plus, it was much easier to look in on the bathers in the hydropool than on the Vista ships. We won't sail on the Konigsdam again for several reasons, but this is one of them.

I agree. It isn't enough to keep me off Koningsdam, but it was disappointing. When we got the tour (sales pitch), I asked about side jets and the young woman said oh yes, and pointed to a sort of bench area. Wrong, there are no side jets anywhere. Definitely shallower than on a Vista. When my lower back has bothered me, walking in the Vista spas soothed it. This water level was too low to do any good. The only good thing about the shallower pool is that it seemed easier to climb up onto the pipe beds.

The shower jets in the center of the pool are too strong. As soon as someone steps beneath one, everybody gets splashed.

I also found it annoying that the changing room (which is smaller despite the fact that the ship has more passengers) is farther from the pool than on Vistas. And you enter the pool by going through the ceramic lounger area, so the lounger area can be less peaceful at times. There's less seating in the hydropool area. Only plus is more ceramic loungers than on the Vistas.

The shower in the pool area is curved like on the Vistas but it's less useful. It has a pre-programmed sequence of of overhead water streams, so you have to move around to rinse off well. Not the simple shower heads on the Vistas that you can use to get a good rinse. But it has misty jets with color-changing lights at mid-calf height to soothe you. (I don't know why it's soothing, but that's what the girl at the spa said) Also, they added a lot of odd things around the lounger area. A horizontal shower, where you lie on a slab and several rows of water fall down on you--when it works. I could never get it to work right. And there are two places where you can dump a bucket of water on yourself.

I agree. It isn't enough to keep me off Koningsdam,

And there are two places where you can dump a bucket of water on yourself.

..I can't help mentioning. On a corner Aft NOORDAM veranda the glass and shiny metal made lounging scorchingly impossible, UNLESS we tossed buckets and buckets of cold water on the walls and furniture!! :cool:

I agree. It isn't enough to keep me off Koningsdam, but it was disappointing. When we got the tour (sales pitch), I asked about side jets and the young woman said oh yes, and pointed to a sort of bench area. Wrong, there are no side jets anywhere. Definitely shallower than on a Vista. When my lower back has bothered me, walking in the Vista spas soothed it. This water level was too low to do any good. The only good thing about the shallower pool is that it seemed easier to climb up onto the pipe beds.

The shower jets in the center of the pool are too strong. As soon as someone steps beneath one, everybody gets splashed.

I also found it annoying that the changing room (which is smaller despite the fact that the ship has more passengers) is farther from the pool than on Vistas. And you enter the pool by going through the ceramic lounger area, so the lounger area can be less peaceful at times. There's less seating in the hydropool area. Only plus is more ceramic loungers than on the Vistas.

The shower in the pool area is curved like on the Vistas but it's less useful. It has a pre-programmed sequence of of overhead water streams, so you have to move around to rinse off well. Not the simple shower heads on the Vistas that you can use to get a good rinse. But it has misty jets with color-changing lights at mid-calf height to soothe you. (I don't know why it's soothing, but that's what the girl at the spa said) Also, they added a lot of odd things around the lounger area. A horizontal shower, where you lie on a slab and several rows of water fall down on you--when it works. I could never get it to work right. And there are two places where you can dump a bucket of water on yourself.

Thank you for your post.

Encouraging to know that the pipe beds are easier to climb onto. As a short legged, short armed cruiser, I am able to do so on on the other ships. But, "it's work!".

Why do the Executives in Seattle/Miami responsible for planning these amenities think that "they need to fix something that is not broken"? The Hydropool amenity of the Vista and Signature Class ships are an important reason why I would consider another booking on them.

Looking forward to see what is offered on Nieuw Statendam.

Thank you for your post.

Encouraging to know that the pipe beds are easier to climb onto. As a short legged, short armed cruiser, I am able to do so on on the other ships. But, "it's work!".

Why do the Executives in Seattle/Miami responsible for planning these amenities think that "they need to fix something that is not broken"? The Hydropool amenity of the Vista and Signature Class ships are an important reason why I would consider another booking on them.

Looking forward to see what is offered on Nieuw Statendam.

I would expect Nieuw Statendam to be essentially the same as Koningsdam. I went to a talk by the captain and hotel director where they used pictures to give "virtual tours" behind the scenes. They said they're always learning new "best practices" and passing them on to Seattle for review and possible implementation on other ships. The captain hinted that some things would be different on NS based on what they learned on Kdam, but he wouldn't say what those differences would be.

Yikes! Where were you? :eek:

Twas a NOORDAM Rear-most Handicap Suite, SC6175. Swanky. On a Carribean 11-day cruise. However, the reflective surfaces made veranda an oven, Unless we drenched the Veranda with buckets of cold water. AC on Max all day inside. funny NOW...

Twas a NOORDAM Rear-most Handicap Suite, SC6175. Swanky. On a Carribean 11-day cruise. However, the reflective surfaces made veranda an oven, Unless we drenched the Veranda with buckets of cold water. AC on Max all day inside. funny NOW...

Ah, I understand. You've made me thankful we had so many overcast days on our Caribbean cruise. :D

I am so glad to read your review. We sailed on the Koningsdam's first Baltic cruise and we read lots of glowing reviews of the spa during that time. Our feeling was that it looked pretty, but it wasn't functional for us. We bought a very expensive spa package for our 21-day cruise, went once, and told them we were never coming back. Unrequested, they refunded our money, which was lovely but we would have rather enjoyed the spa.

Our thoughts are so similar to yours - the jets in the middle of the hydropool were way too strong and if one of us went in there, everyone else got splashed. One woman actually fell down from the force of the water while we were there. At one point I tried to get away from the splash from middle jets and moved sideways around the pool quickly, only to bash one of my feet into the metal brackets on the bottom. Ouch! And, when I tried to lounge around the edge of the pool, the very pretty raindrops came down on my face, and not in a good way.

Relaxing in the ceramic loungers was impossible because people were streaming through there to get to other parts of the spa. At that time, there also were no hooks for hanging your robe, so our stuff was just laying on the floor while we were in there. By the time we left, we were so stressed that we didn't care if wasted our money - we just wanted out of there!

We're booked on the Nieuw Statendam next year, so I am hoping they've made some changes to improve all of this. Between the uncomfortable spa on the K and the rising spa prices on all of the ships we've been on lately, we're starting to forgo the spa, which was always one of favorite places on the ship. Happily, there is always something fun to do on a ship, even if the spa isn't it!

I am so glad to read your review. We sailed on the Koningsdam's first Baltic cruise and we read lots of glowing reviews of the spa during that time. Our feeling was that it looked pretty, but it wasn't functional for us. We bought a very expensive spa package for our 21-day cruise, went once, and told them we were never coming back. Unrequested, they refunded our money, which was lovely but we would have rather enjoyed the spa.

Our thoughts are so similar to yours - the jets in the middle of the hydropool were way too strong and if one of us went in there, everyone else got splashed. One woman actually fell down from the force of the water while we were there. At one point I tried to get away from the splash from middle jets and moved sideways around the pool quickly, only to bash one of my feet into the metal brackets on the bottom. Ouch! And, when I tried to lounge around the edge of the pool, the very pretty raindrops came down on my face, and not in a good way.

Relaxing in the ceramic loungers was impossible because people were streaming through there to get to other parts of the spa. At that time, there also were no hooks for hanging your robe, so our stuff was just laying on the floor while we were in there. By the time we left, we were so stressed that we didn't care if wasted our money - we just wanted out of there!

We're booked on the Nieuw Statendam next year, so I am hoping they've made some changes to improve all of this. Between the uncomfortable spa on the K and the rising spa prices on all of the ships we've been on lately, we're starting to forgo the spa, which was always one of favorite places on the ship. Happily, there is always something fun to do on a ship, even if the spa isn't it!

I'm going to chime in on this. I usually never complain but... My last cruise was on the Koningsdam and I paid $500.00 for 21 nights. A BIG disappointment! I knew something was off in the Hydrotherapy Pool and now I know. The ceramic lounger area has always been my favorite, no matter which HA ship. Not this last time! Tooooo much noise going on in there. Traffic to the pool and people talking/shouting. I finally gave up. This coming cruise, I may go for a day pass but never again will I put out that kind of money for it again.

We found that the location of the ceramic loungers was much less relaxing because of everyone passing through. Almost like they should have traded that area with the steam area and a walkway.

I LOVED the horizontal shower. I used it almost every night and found it to be very relaxing (but it took a little playing to get the jets and temperature correct).

The cold-water drop buckets were refreshing.

I’ll take the hydro pool on a Vista or Signature anytime over this one. It looks nice, but didn’t enjoy it nearly as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just want to add a note about the spa staff during my Koningsdam cruise in Dec (a HAL lover, but never again on Kdam, for many reasons). I book and enjoy the spa on most cruises, sometimes with a full pass and sometimes the free day passes that come with spa treatments.

As you likely know, for a first-visit spa treatment, at the desk you are given a locker key in exchange for your cruise card, then led to the changing room (with lockers, showers, toilets) to put on a robe, and then led to the intake/waiting room, a serene windowed space with upholstered loungers looking out to the ocean, flavored-water decanter, and clipboards with the health history to complete. After a bit, your treatment staffer retrieves you to your room; she then reviews your health issues, preferences and needs for your treatment. Afterwards, you may spend time in the spa areas as you wish.

So: I show up for my first visit to the spa and turn over my cruise card, but instead of being given a key, I'm led to the ceramic lounger area--in my street clothes--which is crammed with folks on the loungers, or waiting, or using the saunas, showers, etc. I say, "oh, but I need to put on a robe first." "No, you're fine," she says and, because there is nowhere else to stand, she literally shoves me into the horizontal shower bay!! It's hot and steamy; my clothes are getting damp simply from the humidity in the room.

After a bit, another staffer shows up and says "We were looking for you!" Like it's my fault for being in the wrong place. She takes me to the waiting room--empty except for one guy, in his robe per usual procedure--to complete the health form. A 3rd person finally arrives to take me to the room and reviews my health history, etc.* I change in there.

Afterwards, instead of leading me back to the desk to check out, she just opens the door and sends me on my way. So I get all turned around in the warren of hallways and finally have to ask directions from a maintenance person wandering by. After I finally make it to the spa entrance, I get to midship and then have to turn around to get my card (or who knows how long they'd have kept it?).

Everything about this was weird and disturbing. In 28 cruises, I've never experienced anything like it.

*Too, she completely ignored my medical history--which she read out loud!--as well as my preferences (no menthol/mint) when treating me. I actually had to stop her midsession when she attempted to treat a matter already getting medical attention! And she still insisted on applying a menthol cream in spite of me asking her not to. Whiskey tango foxtrot??? Never again.

Edited by sofietucker