WiFi Calling

One area that I found that many travelers are not aware of is Wi-Fi Calling.

Many cellular services have Wi-Fi calling available. Check with your service provider. I have AT&T and it works great.

Use Wi-Fi Calling to talk and text over an active Wi-Fi connection....most ANYWHERE in the world to/from the U.S. Wi-Fi Calling lets you talk and text from indoor locations (even in the U.S.) where it's hard even for a strong cellular signal to reach but you have Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi Calling can be used in U.S., Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands and from most international countries.

If you get the internet package on the ship your cell phone can call and receive calls as if you were at home...at no extra charge. Works just as well on most Wi-Fi's in cafe's, bar's, etc., at the many ports. Of course some folks don't want this connectivity, but it is available for those that might need it. Save's a lot of money otherwise.

But the key is that you must set this up in the U.S. BEFORE you leave the U.S. On the IPhone it is under Cellular. One of my cell phones required a different Sim Chip and AT&T gave it to me free.

If uncertain how to do it, go to your carrier and have them help you set it up or Google it on the net. I figured it was cheaper to get the ship's internet package then paying for all those individual calls/texts.

Recommend you have your cell phone on Airplane Mode as soon as the ships starts leaving the U.S. port.

DDawg

Edited by DeputyDawg46
Updated data

Very good info. Just one small caveat to add...

On board last week, I found that it only worked for some texts (SMS), but it was great for calls. I didn’t know WiFi calling worked for SMS so I was surprised to get any. I have an iPhone so I knew that iMessages would work, but I received a few SMS group texts while on WiFi as well. When I returned to cellular (a few times on this trip because their were two Florida stops) I would get the rest of the SMS messages that didn’t go through. I have no idea why some worked and others didn’t, but just wanted to add that people shouldn’t count on receiving SMS or MMS texts (regular and photo texts - “green bubbles” for iPhone users) over WiFi with this set up.

Brooke sent this from her iPad using Tapatalk

On board last week, I found that it only worked for some texts (SMS), but it was great for calls. I didn’t know WiFi calling worked for SMS so I was surprised to get any. I have an iPhone so I knew that iMessages would work, but I received a few SMS group texts while on WiFi as well. When I returned to cellular (a few times on this trip because their were two Florida stops) I would get the rest of the SMS messages that didn’t go through. I have no idea why some worked and others didn’t, but just wanted to add that people shouldn’t count on receiving SMS or MMS texts (regular and photo texts - “green bubbles” for iPhone users) over WiFi with this set up.

I experience the same issues with SMS/MMS texts while on WiFi calling, both on the ship and on land. I'm on AT&T.

I experience the same issues with SMS/MMS texts while on WiFi calling, both on the ship and on land. I'm on AT&T.

How do you set up wi-fi calling? I also have at&t. If you prefer to e-mail me the answer feel free. Also, Samsung S8 android.

Just go to settings then under connections you should see wifi calling. It will walk you through it when you click on it.

Did it on my home wifi connection and put it in airplane mode to test it after done. Made calls just fine without being on my cellular service.

Just go to settings then under connections you should see wifi calling. It will walk you through it when you click on it.

Did it on my home wifi connection and put it in airplane mode to test it after done. Made calls just fine without being on my cellular service.

When I go into settings---> connections, my first option is wi-fi which is turned on. My next option is blue tooth. There is no option to turn on wi-fi calling.:confused:

When I go into settings---> connections, my first option is wi-fi which is turned on. My next option is blue tooth. There is no option to turn on wi-fi calling.:confused:

Are you connected to cellular now? I know on my phone the initial setup had to be done while connected to cellular. Also, there is a minimum OS version that will support WiFi calling. If you have not updated your phone's OS lately, that may be an option. If none of these suggestions work, you may have to call AT&T.

Are you connected to cellular now? I know on my phone the initial setup had to be done while connected to cellular. Also, there is a minimum OS version that will support WiFi calling. If you have not updated your phone's OS lately, that may be an option. If none of these suggestions work, you may have to call AT&T.

I have the latest OS. I'll call at&t. Thanks.

In your settings, do you have "Advanced Calling"? That's where Wi-Fi calling is on my phone, a Droid Turbo 2

Brooke sent this from her iPad using Tapatalk

You brought up something I forgot to mention. I have found that since I have an IPhone that I can only receive texts from other Apple products (IPhones/IPads). I cannot get texts from people with Android phones. I don't use an Android but I would suspect the same applies to those phones and they wouldn't get texts from IPhones.

And for those that might not see WiFi Calling in their phone menus, I had that problem on one of my phones and I had to have AT&T update my SIM Chip which they did free. It seams it had an older chip in the phone...depending on how old your phone is. Check with your service provider.

Edited by DeputyDawg46

You brought up something I forgot to mention. I have found that since I have an IPhone that I can only receive texts from other Apple products (IPhones/IPads). I cannot get texts from people with Android phones. I don't use an Android but I would suspect the same applies to those phones and they wouldn't get texts from IPhones.

And for those that might not see WiFi Calling in their phone menus, I had that problem on one of my phones and I had to have AT&T update my SIM Chip which they did free. It seams it had an older chip in the phone...depending on how old your phone is. Check with your service provider.

I have an iPhone and have been able to receive SMS/MMS texts from Android phones using WiFi Calling.

Just to add...

My DH was very clever and we were able to use our iPad to call my dad's iPhone while we were on board over the wifi. My iPad does not have any sort of SIM card nor does it have a number associated with it, but because Apple products play nicely with one another we were able to manage it. My dad was having new cable tv / internet / phone lines installed and he needed our advice on something so we gave him a quick call.

Also worth noting that the internet in our cabin was strong enough (this was on Grandeur of the Seas near the Caribbean) that it sustained a 10 minute call without any lag / echos / drop outs.

You may also want to look at Apps like WhatsApp which supports wifi calling to other cell phones with WhatsApp (similar to iMessage but NOT just for Apple devices, it is Android-friendly!).

Mine was with a Note8 so I guess I should have specified that. Sorry, my bad.

Also, it may be that your phone does not support Wifi calling. But heck, who knows.

Thanks, I had seen that. At&T is telling me you can't do wi-fi calling on an unlocked phone. I am not sure if this is like RCI where you get different info depending on who you talk to? Any thoughts on how to do a work around the menus and tun on the feature?

I was on Allure back in November and took the Surf and Stream package. WIFI calling worked like a piece of cake very easy to set up. I Have a Samsung S8 with Verizon. Additionally, my hubby on the cruise with me has an I-phone and we communicated using WhatsApp texting and it worked well too. I will be on Adventure at the end of March hoping that the WiFi is updated at the current drydock so as to have the same quality of service.

Thanks, I had seen that. At&T is telling me you can't do wi-fi calling on an unlocked phone. I am not sure if this is like RCI where you get different info depending on who you talk to? Any thoughts on how to do a work around the menus and tun on the feature?

Perhaps AT&T handles Android differently, but I have an unlocked phone (iPhone) with AT&T and I have WiFi calling. All I can is what you are probably doing already, do some internet queries.

Perhaps AT&T handles Android differently, but I have an unlocked phone (iPhone) with AT&T and I have WiFi calling. All I can is what you are probably doing already, do some internet queries.

Thanks, I appreciate you thoughts and advice.

It has nothing to do with being unlocked but it does have to be an ATT branded phone. ATT only supports WiFi calling on ATT branded phones with one exception, iPhones. If your S8 was factory unlocked, it is not ATT branded and WiFi calling is not supported. There are no workarounds. Locked or unlocked, WiFi calling is supported on an ATT branded S8.

It has nothing to do with being unlocked but it does have to be an ATT branded phone. ATT only supports WiFi calling on ATT branded phones with one exception, iPhones. If your S8 was factory unlocked, it is not ATT branded and WiFi calling is not supported. There are no workarounds. Locked or unlocked, WiFi calling is supported on an ATT branded S8.

Well that stinks.

T-Mobile supports wifi-calling for unlocked phones. Huge plus for me since I'm a huge fan of the Axon 7 phone. Wonderful stereo speakers!

Keep in mind to make sure your phone model supports wifi-calling before even attempting to set it up. Sometimes a later OS version brings support for wifi-calling, so make sure the phone is up to date. If you're unsure if your phone model supports it, Google your model number with "wifi-calling" and see if a spec or features list shows up.

Wifi-calling is a very nice feature but has its limitations. One big one is a WiFi operator has the option to block VoIP services, including wifi-calling. Airlines are known for for this. Also, my fiancee had a Viking Cruise where they blocked it. At least she was able to make video calling over Google Duo, but it had its limitations due to poor wifi service. Luckily, RCCL still allows wifi-calling! Score for us!

Another thing is some phones don't support MMS messages over wifi-calling. SMS messages are good-to-go for the most part, but not MMS messages. So gifs and picture messages won't send or be received for some reason. My previous phone didn't allow them, neither does my fiancee's phone. Oddly, my current phone does. Don't know why, but I'll take it.

If you can't send MMS messages but want to send pics and other fun stuff to your onboard group, use another app such as Facebook Messenger of something similar. Plus, online Messengers don't suffer from size limitations, so your pics and videos won't be cut off or heavily compressed.

... Another thing is some phones don't support MMS messages over wifi-calling. SMS messages are good-to-go for the most part, but not MMS messages. ... .

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because my iPhone supports MMS over WiFI calling, for the most part. Sometimes I don't get a message until I turn on cellular.