Emotional support animal - peacock

Safety Squirrel

Many of these "service" dogs are just really pets where the owners probably do not want to pay boarding fees or inconvenience others when on the cruise. I did ask the owner what service the dogs does. I was told that the dog monitors blood sugar levels. OMG....

That's not totally off the charts....apparently there are dogs that can detect sugar levels for diabetics...as well as the onset of a seizure. I don't know how they do it....I just know that they can.

Keith while I applaud your chutzpah.....you take a chance doing that to people you don't know.
I totally agree. What should have been done is he should have taken a picture of the dog on the table eating and send it to the Health Department. The Health Department will check the complaint out. If the stores, cruises, etc. get enough complaints of bad pet behavior to the Health Department, trust me, they will start taking all of this serious and we will see less emotional support pets out where they should not be.

I've given up. Everyone is crazy out there and thinks the world revolves around them. There are plenty of people out there to blame for this...but I digress...

So I've taken to the following...as I am self employed semi retired I...

1. Am up and about at 7:15 and driving my hs kid to school

2. I then do whatever errands I schedule that day. The earlier the better as the crazies are still asleep

3. I do not over schedule myself as I feel I must be finished by noon when the crazies come out from their comas Plus I have the beauty of a fairly open ended morning and spread out the errands over 5 days

4. I'm comfy at home and working by noon eating a healthy salad

5. I get the hs kid at 2:40 and just laugh at the crazies out there..I get her to her job as all my kids have an incredible work ethic. I get her home later on but it's only around the corner in a residential neighborhood so the only issue are the crazy speeding school bus drivers. Don't get me started

6. Yup we are a family of 6. The 3 older kids are full fledged self supporting well educated young adults. (No problem finding jobs btw because they didn't major in old English literature or the psychology of the ant lol) unfortunately we rarely eat together due to their schedules and fortunately the nonsense of life has not hardened them yet but my 17yo who is learning to drive said she really hates the other drivers..I told her to get used to it and once you start driving you see things much differently. She's a great driver btw

7. We travel frequently to all corners of the earth. No fear but we are not stupid ether and do not overindulge and already know to not overdo it at the Mexican all inclusives we are booking but you know I'm speaking with the managers before we drink a thing. We like bottled water so no biggie if we choose not to imbibe in the open bars on those port stops

8. We enjoy life and don't let others bother us. I would not bat an eye at a dog (because frankly I don't care enough to champion this cause) in the buffet as I know ncl won't do a thing about it but I expect that of them. I have zero faith in them. That's why no more cruise certs are being purchased also the dogs owner is definitely out of their minds as well so I'll just chuckle at their unfortunate life.

9. Going forward as I've seen most of the world I'm interested in we have decided to travel to USA spots. Cape cod of course and Disney but we will venture off on long weekends into areas where I know normal folks exist. Basically that's anyplace outside of the 50 mile radius of big cities although I'm not against visiting big cities as we go to NYC often as it's in my backyard and do not plan to stop.

In closing this is not a rant by any means but I'm sure I'll be getting some snarky replies so...

I'm not neurotic

I'm not afraid of society

I do not run scared

I'm just looking at what I see around me and have chosen to not let the crazies bother me

I've made my days as convenient as possible for me and I do not deal with people or issues that I don't need to deal with. I really dont care about your dog on a ship but I'm not letting your smoke on your balcony that's for sure

Oh and I always always do bimonthly spa days..at home never on the ship...because I like them...I see movies I like..I go to restaurants I like.

I only mention this because I'm expecting those snarky replies like..."you can't hide under a rock you know". Lol but you can position yourself so you are not affected disturbed or irritated by the crazies out there.

Have a great day all

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by maggie cruises

I'm just looking at what I see around me and have chosen to not let the crazies bother me

Possibly if you have seen a person's service dog, who they rely on to lead a normal life, bitten, growled at, lunged at by these fakers, you might change your opinion.

Have a great day.

Possibly if you have seen a person's service dog, who they rely on to lead a normal life, bitten, growled at, lunged at by these fakers, you might change your opinion.

Have a great day.

Not sure of your point but my point is I don't care about dogs on cruises

Service dog or not

I'm expressing my opinion that if it's not a bona fide service dog but is still on the ship....then imho it's owned by a crazy person because normal people put their pets in a kennel or arrange care for their family pets.

That's not totally off the charts....apparently there are dogs that can detect sugar levels for diabetics...as well as the onset of a seizure. I don't know how they do it....I just know that they can.

Yes! I have a friend who's service dog does just that. That lovely dog was nearly killed by a "fake" service dog in a dept.store The service dog really didn't know how to react & defend itself when brutally attacked. The owner of the fake service dog was arrested & paid dearly in a lawsuit.

I totally agree. What should have been done is he should have taken a picture of the dog on the table eating and send it to the Health Department. The Health Department will check the complaint out. If the stores, cruises, etc. get enough complaints of bad pet behavior to the Health Department, trust me, they will start taking all of this serious and we will see less emotional support pets out where they should not be.

The staff at our local Sam's club has now been "weeding" out the fakes. When I do something like you read about in my posts, I do weigh the situation: Am I alone? Is there a large crowd? Public shaming can do wonders, when there's a lot of people witnessing the event. Obviously, I'm not about to take on a load of Hells Angels with phony service dogs!

Many of these "service" dogs are just really pets where the owners probably do not want to pay boarding fees or inconvenience others when on the cruise. I did ask the owner what service the dogs does. I was told that the dog monitors blood sugar levels. OMG....

Actually that one is valid. Service dogs can be trained to warn on blood sugar levels with fragile diabetics.

Diabetic Alert Assistance Dogs are a specific type of Medical Assistance Dog that has been trained to use their highly sensitive scent capabilities to identify the changes in blood chemistry that occur during rapid changes in blood sugar levels.

You also have service dogs that are trained to warn in advance of epileptic seizures.

Not having a visible disability does not mean that an animal is not a valid service dog. That is what makes the frauds such a problem.

(This did not happen on a ship but at one of our town squares).

I saw a couple with a baby stroller at a square. There was a ShiuTsu in the buggy. The dog was wearing a Service Dog vest. I got to talking with the man and I jokingly asked what service the little dog provided. He laughed and said the dog would bark at the doorbell and alert his wife someone was at the door. (Okay, but why have the Service Dog vest on when outdoors away from the house?). He told me the dog flies free on planes and they also take the dog in restaurants, and on CRUISES.

Nice old couple but totally scamming the system.

They also have allergy alert dogs. I looked into it after my last trip in August to WDW. It will forever be known as the worst vacation ever, thanks to people who think they are allowed to smoke wherever they please.

Unfortunately for me they take you to the allergen. I'm allergic to smoke and get asthma attacks if I breathe in smoke. It's also very expensive to get an allergy alert dog.

We are taking our dog to get a therapy certificate and he is taking the third and hopefully final course. Dog has had to pass tests for each course to move on and has been successful so far. People often comment how well behaved he is in public but that is due to alot of hard work on everyone's part.

Outside of Cunard I've not seen any dogs or any other animal. Cruiselines can refuse animals at their leisure as they are NOT registered in the US.

There was a comfort dog walking through Michael’s Club on Equinox last night. As the bartender was pouring our wine at the bar the owner said “Give me some water” as she stuck out a small bowl.

As we left.. I get watery eyes and sneeze attacks, the dog was sitting on the sofa licking up the water. The pair were still there two hours later so we just kept on walking..

There was a comfort dog walking through Michael’s Club on Equinox last night. As the bartender was pouring our wine at the bar the owner said “Give me some water” as she stuck out a small bowl.

As we left.. I get watery eyes and sneeze attacks, the dog was sitting on the sofa licking up the water. The pair were still there two hours later so we just kept on walking..

I am dismayed to read this post...so much for YOUR comfort or anyone else who has the bad luck to sit on that sofa after this “comfort dog”.

I am dismayed to read this post...so much for YOUR comfort or anyone else who has the bad luck to sit on that sofa after this “comfort dog”.

I would have filed a formal complaint to guest relations. A pic or 2 on your camera wouldn't hurt, either. I would have told the couple I'll be turning these pics over to the police upon docking for prosecution. Nothing like letting them sweat it out a bit. The old "$2000 fine & 6 months in jail for fraud" bit works very well, too.

(This did not happen on a ship but at one of our town squares).

I saw a couple with a baby stroller at a square. There was a ShiuTsu in the buggy. The dog was wearing a Service Dog vest. I got to talking with the man and I jokingly asked what service the little dog provided. He laughed and said the dog would bark at the doorbell and alert his wife someone was at the door. (Okay, but why have the Service Dog vest on when outdoors away from the house?). He told me the dog flies free on planes and they also take the dog in restaurants, and on CRUISES.

Nice old couple but totally scamming the system.

Any dolt can buy a fake service vest on line(thank you sooo much ADA for allowing this fraud!) What I've started doing, is taking a "Pic" with my cell phone(so they think) I then tell them it's $2000 fine plus 6 months in jail for fraudulent use of a pet as a service animal. I then say, I'll be turning this over to the police(or GVMT.) for prosecution. Yes, it's nasty. But sometimes it takes a little(or big) scare to get people to think twice about scamming the system.