Rhine water levels 2018 and similar topics

notamermaid

Following up on my earlier post (#1392), we got our modified itinerary for our Christmas Market/River

cruise, leaving next week on Wednesday 11/28. All in all, we feel it's a good compromise. If any of you have time, I'd be interested in what you experienced cruisers think. This is our first sightseeing cruise. 

Originally we were scheduled to be picked up at the Frankfurt airport and bussed to Cologne where we would meet our boat, the Amadeus Silver. Now, the boat will be docked in Frankfurt, and we'll be bussed to Cologne the first day, returning to Frankfurt and the boat at night. The same the second day when we'll be bussed to Koblenz, stopping at the Rhine Gorge for photos and then returning to the boat and Frankfurt. The rest of our cruise is the same, cruising on the Main, ending up in Nuremberg.

So we'll be on the boat every night but we'll miss cruising on the Rhine. I calculated that we'll be on the bus about 7 hours over two days and four trips. 

Thank you 

Can anyone help me out? I'm supposed to leaving on the Monday, 11/26, AMAStella from Basel to Amsterdam. It looks like we will be transported from Strasburg to Antwerp. This is disappointing but what can you do. :classic_blink: I'm wondering where we would cruise to get to Amsterdam and will we probably have hotel nights? Thanks!

1 hour ago, luv2travelandcruise said:

Can anyone help me out? I'm supposed to leaving on the Monday, 11/26, AMAStella from Basel to Amsterdam. It looks like we will be transported from Strasburg to Antwerp. This is disappointing but what can you do. :classic_blink: I'm wondering where we would cruise to get to Amsterdam and will we probably have hotel nights? Thanks!

This might help.

https://www.amawaterways.com/my-trip/cruise-updates/app/AI181126ASXR

my understanding is that there are no hotel nights.

1 hour ago, luv2travelandcruise said:

Hi! We are supposed to be on the AmaKristina 12/3 Basel to Amsterdam. We might have the same revised itinerary as you.

From what I heard, there are no hotel nights. You cruise from Basel to Strasbourg and then spend 3 nights docked with trips. Then, bus to Antwerp via Luxembourg City - a long day - where you meet the AmaKristina and cruise Belgium up to Amsterdam. Not sure if that is correct!

2 hours ago, luv2travelandcruise said:

I'll be on the other side of your ship swap, embarking AmaKristina on 11/26 in Amsterdam.  We will be swapping to AmaStella.  Still holding out hope that we can make it to Cologne and do a ship swap to Rudesheim, but I'm afraid the Antwerp/Strasbourg transfer is more likely.  Not looking forward to that long bus ride.  It's unclear at which point in the week we'll do the swap, but I'm assuming at the midway point.

Does anyone know what stops we may have in store for us between Amsterdam and Antwerp?  Will we bus to Cologne?

I'm assuming the southern portion of the trip will include the original destinations (Heidelberg Castle, Rudesheim), just via bus back and forth from Strasbourg.  Is that right?

Just notified that our Christmas Market cruise on the SS Antoinette with Uniworld on 11/28 has been cancelled. They had advised 3 days ago it was going as scheduled, but today emailed that the folks in charge of marine traffic have made the decision for them. Not sure if that applies to everyone?  Probably better than a bus trip. Extremely disappointing and lots to cancel. Getting a full refund through travel ins. hopefully, and 1000 pp to use on a future cruise. 

8 minutes ago, DYoungIllinois said:

Just notified that our Christmas Market cruise on the SS Antoinette with Uniworld on 11/28 has been cancelled. They had advised 3 days ago it was going as scheduled, but today emailed that the folks in charge of marine traffic have made the decision for them. Not sure if that applies to everyone?  Probably better than a bus trip. Extremely disappointing and lots to cancel. Getting a full refund through travel ins. hopefully, and 1000 pp to use on a future cruise. 

2 minutes ago, Posy100 said:

Yes, we too have just been informed SS Antoinette cruise 28/11 is cancelled. So disappointing, but better than it turning into a coach trip! 

Sorry to hear, but I agree: Much better than it turning into a series of long bus rides!

1 hour ago, Hoyas96 said:

Does anyone know what stops we may have in store for us between Amsterdam and Antwerp?  Will we bus to Cologne?

I'm assuming the southern portion of the trip will include the original destinations (Heidelberg Castle, Rudesheim), just via bus back and forth from Strasbourg.  Is that right?

It is not set in stone that this will be a bus. I was in contact with someone at AMA who said re: the drive from Strasbourg to Antwerp, "Although such a picture is a bit daunting, this is nowhere near our ideal cruise and have been making adjustments to make sure that future sailings do not operate in the same manner. For example, for one of our recent sailings, we did cover this distance via train, rather than by bus so you could see the castles on the Rhine and the scenery as well." An additional reply added, "We’re doing a rain dance on our end here too and hoping for the best! We should be reaching out shortly (early next week) regarding your sailing and the contingency plans we have in place. You will hear from us very soon and hopefully we will get this all straightened out."

Very professional replies. Cheerful.

I also assume the southern portion will have most of the excursions intact. I also imagine they will try to figure out how to actually preserve some of the "Rhine" on a Rhine cruise lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Situation must be pretty bad, to hear that cruises are now being cancelled with 6 days notice (SS Antoinette).  We are booked on the Uniworld trip on the same ship from Basel to Cologne departing 5 December so that must be now doubtful?  Although I do note some impending rain, but to what effect that will have I have not a clue?

11 hours ago, hbr777 said:

It is not set in stone that this will be a bus. I was in contact with someone at AMA who said re: the drive from Strasbourg to Antwerp, "Although such a picture is a bit daunting, this is nowhere near our ideal cruise and have been making adjustments to make sure that future sailings do not operate in the same manner. For example, for one of our recent sailings, we did cover this distance via train, rather than by bus so you could see the castles on the Rhine and the scenery as well." An additional reply added, "We’re doing a rain dance on our end here too and hoping for the best! We should be reaching out shortly (early next week) regarding your sailing and the contingency plans we have in place. You will hear from us very soon and hopefully we will get this all straightened out."

Very professional replies. Cheerful.

I also assume the southern portion will have most of the excursions intact. I also imagine they will try to figure out how to actually preserve some of the "Rhine" on a Rhine cruise lol.

That is very interesting. Ural-guy had done the journey from Strasbourg to Koblenz by train independently and joined the ship there. It is doable. But here is the problem. A fast (through-) train from Strasbourg to Antwerp will not be via the Rhine gorge. It has to be done a different way. Either changing trains at least once between Strasbourg and Koblenz (and again later), or taking a shorter journey. Ideal as regards time and scenery would be an EC from Mannheim to Cologne, I think. Many ICE express trains go through the hills from Frankfurt to Cologne circumnavigating the Rhine gorge. I wonder how AmaWaterways did the trip on that one itinerary?

I hope they can sail further from Strasbourg, at least through the first lock at Iffezheim, to dock at Rastatt. Or even further. Likewise, from the other end, Koblenz is perhaps difficult to reach now, Mark_T has hinted at that, but Cologne could still be possible. If not, perhaps Duisburg or Xanten? I am doing the cruise line's thinking work again. :classic_biggrin: But it is interesting to figure out how logistics could work. I do feel for the people of Ama who have to work this out. I only spent about twenty minutes looking at trains and found that complicated enough.

I hope it works out. Alas, the river levels are not helping.

More on that later.

notamermaid

13 hours ago, DYoungIllinois said:

13 hours ago, Posy100 said:

Yes, we too have just been informed SS Antoinette cruise 28/11 is cancelled. So disappointing, but better than it turning into a coach trip! 

Sorry to hear that. The SS Antoinette is currently docked in Cologne harbour at Niehl. Presumably it was just not possible to get any kind of close to normal itinerary together for you.

1 hour ago, Magpie22 said:

Situation must be pretty bad, to hear that cruises are now being cancelled with 6 days notice (SS Antoinette).  We are booked on the Uniworld trip on the same ship from Basel to Cologne departing 5 December so that must be now doubtful?  Although I do note some impending rain, but to what effect that will have I have not a clue?

Magpie22, you still have a few days to go, and Uniworld has time to consider their options but to get to Basel for your itinerary she needs to get through the Rhine gorge first in the not too distant future. That is highly unlikely before next week Tuesday, based on river level and weather forecast. Sailing empty, i.e. without passengers, drinking water and reduced fuel gives her a few centimetres extra room under the hull. The rain currently forecast is too little to have much of an impact to the positive but, as I said, there are a few days to go...

I am sure Uniworld are trying their best and will inform you in good time.

notamermaid

Looking at next week's weather Monday will still bring a fair amount of rain to the Rhine South of Cologne, but not cover the whole area. Tuesday will bring virtually none to the area, with the rain just covering the Alps, mostly to the East which is better for the Danube. It will only benefit Austria and Hungary, though, the colour map suggests. Wednesday will bring virtually no rain to the area.

Meanwhile some ships are still sailing, seemingly oblivious to the large ships' problems, the Johannes Brahms at 82m has been through the gorge and is approaching Mainz.

The river levels today: Maxau 322cm, Kaub 31cm, Koblenz 26cm. At Kaub, not even 40cm are envisaged in the next few days despite a bit of rain. It is just not enough.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
grammar

5 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

We’re on this as well. I’m going to spend some time tonight and tomorrow seeing if I can cobble together a train version of this since we plan to visit family at the end. I’m pretty sure we could end up with a cheaper trip overall and still get the $$ from Uniworld for a future cruise. 

That way if we get the call we can make a decision then. 

6 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Sorry to hear that. The SS Antoinette is currently docked in Cologne harbour at Niehl. Presumably it was just not possible to get any kind of close to normal itinerary together for you.

Magpie22, you still have a few days to go, and Uniworld has time to consider their options but to get to Basel for your itinerary she needs to get through the Rhine gorge first in the not too distant future. That is highly unlikely before next week Tuesday, based on river level and weather forecast. Sailing empty, i.e. without passengers, drinking water and reduced fuel gives her a few centimetres extra room under the hull. The rain currently forecast is too little to have much of an impact to the positive but, as I said, there are a few days to go...

I am sure Uniworld are trying their best and will inform you in good time.

notamermaid

Thanks for the intel you are providing Notamermaid.  It’s appreciated. Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, masonpips said:

We’re on this as well. I’m going to spend some time tonight and tomorrow seeing if I can cobble together a train version of this since we plan to visit family at the end. I’m pretty sure we could end up with a cheaper trip overall and still get the $$ from Uniworld for a future cruise. 

That way if we get the call we can make a decision then. 

That’s our Plan B too as we are totally committed now to an arrival in Basel on 5 Dec and then a flight out of Cologne a week later.  We leave Australia today so will need to keep abreast of the situation while on tour and think about our options.  I’ve read that Colmar is quite special at Xmas so we’ll turn any disadvantages into advantages if necessary.  All the best

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DYoungIllinois said:

Question: when you say full refund through insurance you mean for other items you've booked?  We've done our own airfare and some train tickets.  If ours is canceled, I assume Uniworld is providing the cruise refund and you'll pursue anything else you booked via insurance?  Is there an expiration policy on the $1000?  Thanks and good luck in working through the details!

This is from the email we received from Uniworld 

“I am so sorry that our team could not reach you by phone to review this. Due to extremely low water levels on the Rhine River, the S.S. Antoinette cannot sail, and the November 28 sailing of the Rhine Holiday Markets cruise must be cancelled. 

All booked guests will receive a full refund of all monies paid to Uniworld, and a GBP 800 per person Future Cruise Credit for use on a cruise in 2019 or 2020. Additionally, we will reimburse up to GBP 400 per person for cancellation fees on independently booked air.

Please know that this decision was reached only after careful consideration of the sailing conditions. While we understand the disappointment this cancellation has caused, our guests’ safety is our first priority. To give you some further detail, there are two areas on the Rhine River that have extremely low water currently and are predicted to drop lower; these are the areas between Cologne and Koblenz, and between Mannheim and Strasbourg. While forecasts do show a possibility of rain later next week, it will take several days for the water to rise to a safe level in which the ship can sail.”

Seems very fair under the circumstances, we are based in the UK, but assume same refund will apply to all. At least we have had the anxiety removed, but feeling very flat today that we won’t be going. We were so looking forward to it. Happy travels to everyone who sails up or down the Rhine, hopefully it will be us next year! 

28 minutes ago, Posy100 said:

This is from the email we received from Uniworld 

“I am so sorry that our team could not reach you by phone to review this. Due to extremely low water levels on the Rhine River, the S.S. Antoinette cannot sail, and the November 28 sailing of the Rhine Holiday Markets cruise must be cancelled. 

All booked guests will receive a full refund of all monies paid to Uniworld, and a GBP 800 per person Future Cruise Credit for use on a cruise in 2019 or 2020. Additionally, we will reimburse up to GBP 400 per person for cancellation fees on independently booked air.

Seems very fair under the circumstances, we are based in the UK, but assume same refund will apply to all. At least we have had the anxiety removed, but feeling very flat today that we won’t be going. We were so looking forward to it. Happy travels to everyone who sails up or down the Rhine, hopefully it will be us next year! 

Thank you for sharing. I agree it seems fair given the situation and I like the length of time given to use the certificate!  I’m sorry about your trip. My mom and I have been so excited so I am pretty sure we will go and wing it to an extent just to go. 

Regarding reimbursement question, we have travel guard insurance for air. Otherwise uniworld offered 500. Pre and post hotels booked on our own were cancelled with advance notice so fully refunded. Private car travel also cancelled within refundable period. Uniworld refunding cruise portion, not sure how long 1000 voucher good for. Only concern is some flight upgrades I did independently,  but reached out to airlines directly and hoping they refund.  Lots of work to undo what took over a year to plan. 

• Like 1

Due to disembark Amaprima Nov 24 at the ungodly hour of 430 am for bus to Amsterdam airport for 700 am flight to Zurich and further on by bus to Basel hotel. All arranged and supported by Amawaterways personal along the way. We will get to enjoy the continuation of our planned vacation. Amawaterways has been very accommodating with information during the modified cruise. Stayed on the ship every night with no hotels so well fed and entertained. Excursions well run and interesting although cold weather a challenge. Only regret, did not see a castle but planning to use the compensation from AMA to rebook in future. Have had an acceptable cruise considering having not seen the area we travelled. 

Good luck everyone with your cruises.

Time for the Christmas markets! The "early birds" open today (I know a few scattered ones have been open for a few days, not necessarily on the Rhine) with the next ones to follow tomorrow and Monday. Sunday, as I have mentioned before, German ones will be closed by law. I need to correct my previous post about this in that while the markets are closed during the day, they are allowed to open after 6pm. If you are heading to one, also in another country like France, do check online before you go to avoid disappointment.

Magpie22,

you have mentioned Colmar. I very much enjoyed Colmar during a Summer land trip. I am sure it is lovely at Christmas time. If you are in the area perhaps plan in a trip to Selestat, "home" of the Christmas tree and small towns like Ribeauvillé. Here is a website for you: https://noel.tourisme-alsace.com/en

My plan was to - seriously - try and go on a river cruise for three days to see a couple of markets, perhaps Strasbourg. Needed to adjust my plans, of course. Now I hope to get a day cruise into my schedule before Christmas, or a one-night round-trip Strasbourg to avoid low water levels.

Christmas markets I only tend to go to local small ones, I find even Koblenz too full these days. Hoping to get to a castle Christmas experience like at Schloß Drachenfels near Bonn. Bonn, that reminds me, I like the Christmas market in Bonn... We'll see. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

The 20th update of the BAfG on the low water situation is out and it does not sound good. No surprise, I know. Short English summary at the end: https://www.bafg.de/DE/07_Nachrichten/BfG_Niedrigwasserbericht_181122.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

The photo, cleverly taken, appears to show new vegetation in Rhine gravel with no water left. Water is still flowing but the navigation channel is indeed far in the distance from that angle, much diminished in depth and also narrower. In the background you can see the vineyards of Bopparder Hamm in the Rhine gorge.

The outlook is not too good, with little hope of having a decent level in the river any time soon. For river cruisers it looks as if the drought will continue into December. The rain that is forecast is not enough. (At this point I have a "deja-vu, I am just repeating myself constantly moment")

Rain. The weather forecast for the next three days shows just a tiny bit more rain than the forecast issued for those days earlier this week. Tuesday is a little better with Wednesday bringing a good cover of the area, not great in overall amount though. There is a promise of more of that for Thursday and Friday but I will take it with a pinch of salt, being still six and seven days out.

Smaller ships have entered the Rhine gorge and I have sort of decided for myself, if I do a Rhine cruise, to check the size of the ship before I book. 135m in low water for me is a risk not worth taking. In flooding on the other hand all ships (apart from those with a higher than usual built - very few) are "equal".

The river levels: Maxau 318cm, Kaub 32cm, Koblenz 29cm. Kaub is not predicted to rise above 40cm soon. At this point in time, judging from the BAfG report, the level at Kaub will struggle to get to 50cm in November. But there is hope for the rain next week to have just that little bit more impact than we can currently assume.

But now for something different: http://lebensart-badhonnef.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/aranka-insel-grafenwerth.jpg

This photo shows the last of its kind, an Aalschokker called Aranka. She was built in 1917 and is a traditional fishing boat for catching the eel in the Rhine. No longer in use, she was rescued, restored and is now a "museum". Schokker is apparently a Dutch word and describes the typical boats of that shape used in the Netherlands. Photo taken from the website of the town of Bad Honnef, where she is anchored, with the backdrop of the Seven Mountains range and Drachenfels rock.

notamermaid

• Like 1

So now we will all be starting to check the size of the ship before we book a river cruise!

Earrly next week , some of the Christmas markets we hit will not be open yet -the ones on the Main river / the  Main Danube Rhine canal. Some don’t open until the 30th. 

7 hours ago, kathywin53 said:

Due to disembark Amaprima Nov 24 at the ungodly hour of 430 am for bus to Amsterdam airport for 700 am flight to Zurich and further on by bus to Basel hotel. All arranged and supported by Amawaterways personal along the way. We will get to enjoy the continuation of our planned vacation. Amawaterways has been very accommodating with information during the modified cruise. Stayed on the ship every night with no hotels so well fed and entertained. Excursions well run and interesting although cold weather a challenge. Only regret, did not see a castle but planning to use the compensation from AMA to rebook in future. Have had an acceptable cruise considering having not seen the area we travelled. 

Good luck everyone with your cruises.

I am confused by your post. Your cruise from your previous posts was supposed to be Amsterdam to Basel. You started and ENDED in Amsterdam?  And now have to fly to Zurich? You are a very nice person indeed. That is not a modified cruise, it is a totally different cruise if you never left Benelux. I hope the compensation makes it worth it. Have fun in Switzerland!