Rhine water levels 2018 and similar topics

notamermaid

4 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

… I try to remain hopeful as well, but the later in the year it gets, the more chance that what does fall in the right places will be falling as snow not rain, which will be of little help until it thaws...

Yes, my worry exactly. Fortunately, the Rhine valley has a warm climate but I do see the risk of a minor amount of water being retained in the hills as snow.

notamermaid

We will be on Uniworld's River Queen Dec 8 to 15 from Nuremberg to Frankfurt, but I am seeing threads only on Rhine and Danube water level, and none on Main, is that stretch of river having any problem? Can anyone shed some light? Thanks.

According to Vesselfinder, the " Emily Bronte " is upstream from Pasaau (going towards Vilshofen).

This is a holding area for cruise ships awaiting there next cruise or for the river to rise so they can get through the shallows. Ships are moored here as it is a lot cheaper than in Passau, also Passau don't want empty ships that can be used by one full of paying guests. Only this season have I see cruise ships moored here.

11 minutes ago, mrs bb said:

We will be on Uniworld's River Queen Dec 8 to 15 from Nuremberg to Frankfurt, but I am seeing threads only on Rhine and Danube water level, and none on Main, is that stretch of river having any problem? Can anyone shed some light? Thanks.

You will be on the Rhein, Main, Donau canal and on the River Main, both are controlled by locks that regulate the water levels. You will not have any problems.

You can track the River Queen on one of the tracking sites, she is currently on the River Main heading upstream towards Frankfurt, with destination of Offenbach.

13 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

You will be on the Rhein, Main, Donau canal and on the River Main, both are controlled by locks that regulate the water levels. You will not have any problems.

You can track the River Queen on one of the tracking sites, she is currently on the River Main heading upstream towards Frankfurt, with destination of Offenbach.

Thank G.M.T., your words are big relief to us!

Does anyone know about Ama amsterdam to Basel cruise on December 3rd. Is the cruise not making a stop or at least a bus trip to Cologne. That is a highlight of the Itinerary of the cruise. Will they bus us to the Rhine Gorge. I am so disgusted with Ama. No communications. We are leaving for Europe on Monday. What towns are we visiting. This is unacceptable. I believe this trip is ruined. Would appreciate responses that provide updated ports please. I wanted to see the castles and why we booked.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, masonpips said:

In the two weeks I've been tracking our boat (SS Antoinette), this is the most it has moved.  I wonder if they were going to try and go out?  Moved to free up space for someone to load at their current location?  

Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 9.02.19 AM.png

She has to share the space in Cologne Niehl harbour with many other ships resting. If she has moved around it probably means she had to move to a different "bunk bed". Some ships will stay for the winter already others are docked out of the way so as to not occupy the docking spaces on the river. Some financial advantage could be in them being in the harbour for the time being, as well, but I am not familiar with the situation in Cologne. I would not read much into her movements yet.

notamermaid

• Like 1

We are scheduled to depart December 14 on Viking Eir from Basel to Amsterdam. 

I haven’t read much on this thread regarding Viking and how they are managing their cruises with the river levels being so low. When I looked at the Eir on cruisemapper a few days ago it appeared to be in Amsterdam and that is where it is now. 

This will be our 3rd Christmas market cruise and that is our only reason to be going so we will be very disappointed if markets are cut out of the trip (especially Colmar and Strasbourg) 

Anyone here on Viking on the Rhine now, or just returning?

Thanks to all who have provided such excellent information. 

42 minutes ago, disnefile said:

Does anyone know about Ama amsterdam to Basel cruise on December 3rd. Is the cruise not making a stop or at least a bus trip to Cologne. That is a highlight of the Itinerary of the cruise. Will they bus us to the Rhine Gorge. I am so disgusted with Ama. No communications. We are leaving for Europe on Monday. What towns are we visiting. This is unacceptable. I believe this trip is ruined. Would appreciate responses that provide updated ports please. I wanted to see the castles and why we booked.

We are on the same cruise. Flying out tomorrow.  Never received documents in the mail. Only emailed ones after a request.  We are chalking this one up to a Mystery Tour.  Trying to have a good attitude.  

13 minutes ago, kimshoes said:

I haven’t read much on this thread regarding Viking and how they are managing their cruises with the river levels being so low. When I looked at the Eir on cruisemapper a few days ago it appeared to be in Amsterdam and that is where it is now. 

This will be our 3rd Christmas market cruise and that is our only reason to be going so we will be very disappointed if markets are cut out of the trip (especially Colmar and Strasbourg) 

We are booked on the Viking Alruna which is scheduled to leave Basel on Dec 1st.  We have not heard anything lately from Viking except the usual welcoming type emails and excursion booking reminder ones.  We did, though, receive one email a couple weeks ago advising us of low water levels and we might have to experience some deviations from the planned itinerary ... no specifics ... just a heads-up that we may encounter some itinerary changes.

Bentwaters

Hi Kimshoes,

we are booked on the Viking Eir, Basel to Amsterdam, departing 30 Nov. I’ve been tracking several Viking boats on marinetraffic.com  for the past week or two after receiving an email stating the likelihood of a ‘ship swap’. Viking Eir has been moving between Amsterdam and Cologne, while Viking Idi has done Basel to Strasbourg.

I’m suspecting and hoping we will get Viking Idi for our first few days up to Strasbourg, bus trips from there to Heidelberg, Rudesheim and/or Koblenz to  follow our itinary, ship swap to Eir in Cologne, and then cruise on to Amsterdam. A previous poster commented a while back that this is what they had done. They also managed a small day boat trip up the Rhine gorge. Not sure if current levels will support that though for us!

We start our cruise on Friday, so I’ll post an update or two if I can once the journey begins ...

1 hour ago, disnefile said:

I am sorry to read that. I would check with Ama as soon as possibly if you have had no communication at all. As others here have reported on Ama's problems with relocating office during the fires I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that there might have been some communication lacking due to that. You sound understandably worried.

Katz has just replied to you and you two can have a chat here. :classic_smile: Or go over to the river cruising roll calls. Unfortunately as of today no one knows what will happen to your cruise itinerary for certain. Not trying to defend the approach, but I could well imagine Ama awaiting the rainfall that is forecast and then deciding what to do. But I am bit surprised they have not send you an email with a "warning" of changes.

As of today ships can enter Germany and will normally get to Cologne - the Robert Burns is on her way now - so I cannot imagine Ama not being able to.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
grammar

39 minutes ago, kimshoes said:

Hello Kimshoes,

we are currently on the Viking Tialfi,,we left Amsterdam Saturday and are on our way to Cologne.

we were originally to leave Amsterdam on the Alruna,but will do a ship swap on Tuesday to the Alruna to continue to Basel.

I heard them mention we would cruise the Rhine on a smaller ship, we will see what happens.

We were notified about the ship swap,and change of ships about a week before our departure.

I had taken that the lack of talk about Viking means they are handling it well,we shall see soon.

• Like 1

As we all are somewhat in the same boat regarding a Christmas market cruise and the low water/lack of information I see some frustration and perhaps a little anger at either the cruise being cancelled or the itinerary so changed that it really isn't a Christmas market cruise at all.  I feel the same way but then I wonder, what would you want your cruise line to do?  Some are waiting till the last minute hoping they can keep some of the original itinerary and will work around what they can do?  Others are saying, if it is not what I booked, then I don't want the cruise while still others are saying "I already purchased my airfare and other tours for before or after the cruise."

Ideally, what would you like the cruise lines to do?

44 minutes ago, Valley Girl of VA said:

As we all are somewhat in the same boat regarding a Christmas market cruise and the low water/lack of information I see some frustration and perhaps a little anger at either the cruise being cancelled or the itinerary so changed that it really isn't a Christmas market cruise at all.  I feel the same way but then I wonder, what would you want your cruise line to do?  Some are waiting till the last minute hoping they can keep some of the original itinerary and will work around what they can do?  Others are saying, if it is not what I booked, then I don't want the cruise while still others are saying "I already purchased my airfare and other tours for before or after the cruise."

Ha! That is the perfect question! Everyone has a different answer for that one. With so many variables, not only in river level possibilities, but personal preference, expectations, financial losses on the part of cruise companies and cruisers, etc., it brings to mind a previous post and link offered by Notamermaid, I believe.  It was announced that the people of Germany are to expect the price of the POTATO to increase and blemished, non perfect potatoes will be seen in the stores. It seems that the same is occurring with cruises. Blemishes can be expected. It is inevitable! With a little extra effort a potato can be enjoyed and is nourishing and satisfying. Not that the higher price and blemishes disappear but we have choices  as to our acceptance. As for me, being a potato loving German girl transplanted to USA after WWII,  I love me a beautiful potato but have peeled and cleaned and eaten many an ugly, blemished potato in my life and will undoubtedly do so until I die. Just my profound thoughts on a Sunday morning before I take my almost 99 year old Mutti (mommy) to Mass.

• Like 4

Hi we are supposed to be joining the Viking Mani on the 14th December Amsterdam to Basel nothing from Viking yet warning of ship swaps or change of itinerary apart from advice on their website. Thanks for all the updates on here though.

• Like 1

Wannawander,

we have a tradition in Germany which is the "Das Wort zum Sonntag", broadcast on a public television channel every Saturday evening. These are thoughts on Sunday and a priest or member of a religious organization speaks on a topic. It is Sunday today, and I find your thoughts very fitting. Thank you.

Now how do I get from potatoes to river cruises... No, I cannot find a good way.

Will come back to river levels later.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valley Girl of VA said:

As we all are somewhat in the same boat regarding Christmas market cruises

I would like to have communication, even if it’s a “we’re not sure, but here is the process” from the cruise line. I learned way more on this thread about the river folks deciding on traffic and who could and could not go than I think anyone has learned from their cruise line

I emailed Uniworld and asked about ours and the one before us (now canceled). I received a very canned response. I then found out the 11/28 was canceled. So now I sit with a backup plan (I think) in my back pocket. If they were to email each cruise load of folks every other day with a “we don’t know anything yet but here is what happened to the ship before you” or a “as you know we canceled the 11/28 trip but as of today yours is still on. We anticipate making a decision or hearing from the river authorities by 11/28 as to your trip”

I think most frustration seems to be towards the lack of communication of anything. I feel somewhat fortunate that I knew about the sailing before mine 13 days out. That gave me enough time to start a plan.

For those that get 2 days or less notice and have no back up, and possibly have a day of travel included in those 2 days, I feel for you even more. 

I know on ocean sailings when our ship has had issues the company has sent an email and a text to let us know re: changed itinerary, delayed boarding, etc. Seems the river cruise lines have not had to deal with as many disruptions so they don’t have a clean communication plan 

Edited by masonpips
  • Like 1

Wannawander and Notamermaid - I know the cruise lines will take care of us and I expect to see some places/sights that I hadn't planned on as well as some that I had wanted to.  I cannot go to my cruise in two weeks time being angry - no one did this to us, it just happened and everyone is trying their best to deal with it.  Rather than focusing on what I am missing, I choose to focus on what I'll be seeing and doing.  My cruise on the AMAPrima is probably the one that is going to be the most unlike the others as we have no ship to swap with but we will laugh at how upset we were in a few months (perhaps years for some) and it will be a memorable time.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Now how do I get from potatoes to river cruises... No, I cannot find a good way.

Will come back to river levels later.

notamermaid

Easy, you see eye to eye with a potato and eye to eye with a cruise passenger. Or when a cruise passenger is hot they start to peel off and whena potato is cooked it is peeled.

Wannawander, greeting an the Mutti.

Just now, G.M.T. said:

Easy, you see eye to eye with a potato and eye to eye with a cruise passenger. Or when a cruise passenger is hot they start to peel off and whena potato is cooked it is peeled.

Wannawander, greeting an the Mutti. 99 is not only a wonderful age but alsoa great Schnapszahl.

2 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

Wannawander, greeting an the Mutti.

Aah, Thanks.

And greetings from me to Mutti, too.

notamermaid