why do cruisers HATE certain ports?

Illinoisgal

I know sometimes a port may not have everything every cruiser was looking for, and have noticed some will say they won't go on XXXX cruise becuase one of the ports they don't like. DO you really let this bother you that much ? Just curious. I have been to Progresso, and I was not thrilled after visting but a) it is real Mexico as it isnt all pretty and resort like b) I would still take a cruise that had progresso on the list.

So please where would you not cruise and why.

I'm with you, Illinoisgal, I just don't get it. Any port from any cruise is still better than being at work! Or in the Northeast in winter (it was 11 degrees when I got in my car to come to work this morning.)

I've found something I could like in every port from every cruise so far, and I expect the same in the future. Happy sailing!:D

I'm with you guys. Pretty much anyplace is cool with me.

People have different reasons for choosing the ports they want to visit. If you prefer the more exotic, less-traveled destinations, Cozumel, Nassau and Grand Cayman may not appeal to you. But there are those who prefer the more Americanized ports.

I'm easy to please. Just stick me on a ship and take me wherever. That said, I am anxious to hit the southern Carrib. to see Barbados and some other destinations I have never been to.

You'll find people who love any port and others who can't stand the same place. Ex: "I hate Nassau. The people are rude and there's nothing to do there." "I love Nassau! So beautiful, so much to see, and the people are great!"

Give me a palm tree, a sunny sky, someone to bring me drinks and a giant ship to call home and I'm happy.

I wasn't too thrilled that our upcoming Glory cruise is visiting Costa Maya instead of Cozumel but that's only because I prefer Cozumel over Costa Maya. I'm sure we will have a wonderful time regardless of where we go or don't go.

I am one of those who believe life is what you make it. One of our fondest memories was standing in an alley in St. Maartin where we found a store that sold good cigars and $1.00 Bud Light. We seem to find fun in the oddest places.

Some people book cruises based on the ports. and get highly upset if a port was canceled and will expect their money back if that port was not the one they went to.

I book the ship-- and whereever it goes is fine with me

Any port has something to offer....

We didn't care for Costa Maya because it is a very Americanized..contrived port...not even a city there..The couple we travelled with just LOVED it..it was one of their favorites..to each his own.

One of the things I enjoy most about cruising is the 'study of people' and thier reactions to their environment. It never ceases to amaze me how many different opinions there are.

msolberg - Funny, that was my DH's favorite spot in St. Maarten too. We just stood off the main street while he smoked his cuban and we drank a few very cheap beers while people watching. Loved that port too. I found something to like about every port so far.

Serene,

I know this is completely off topic, how many cruises have you been on? You are a wealth of knowledge and always sooo helpful. I just wanted to say thanks.

About the ports, I think some people are negitive in nature and expect fun to just fall into their laps. Personally I work very hard at researching each port and making reservations for rental cars and trying to make sure we have a great time. Most people don't want to take the time. We are going on the Miracle in 3 weeks and Belize is one of the ports. Belize City is a very poor community, but it has great snorkeling. There are tons of other things to do besides wander aimlessly around the town. There are ruins, beach breaks, snorkeling, all kinds of stuff. We decided on Goff's Caye through Carnival because we will be leaving our 2 little ones on the ship. I figure if anything happens or they need us they can find us. In Cozumel we have plans to rent a car and be adventureous. Costa Maya goto Mahjual (sp) for a great day of doing nothing and playing on the beach. Grand Cayman we will snorkel in the harbor. (Free ship wreck snorkel). I guess what I am trying to say is you can't just walk off the ship and expect a beautiful beach to be waiting for you. You have to look a bit. For me I am big on the stateroom. I like a big stateroom and a ship with a goods kids club. Those are my big factors in picking a cruise ship. If I didn't have the kids it would be if the cruise ship floated or not.:D Sorry if I went on. Take Care all!

So please where would you not cruise and why.
Martinique, it's french puke.gif . Once was more than enough.

Any port in Jamaica, it's a cesspool.

Nassau. Been there. Yawn.

Alaska. The only ice that I want to see on vacation would be in a drink glass.

europe puke.gif for obvious reasons.

I have to agree. All 6 of us that went to Ocho Rios last year will never ever go back. Not even if it was free. When you only get a couple of weeks of holidays a year, or only have enough money to travel once a year, you don't want to go somewhere knowing that you won't enjoy yourself. Just my 2 cents.

People who say there is nothing to do in Nassau have never been to Freeport, Bahamas... That's a place with absolutely nothing to do... Industrial port. :mad:
Except for the International Marketplace where you may purchase "authentic" Bahamian souvenirs, made in Taiwan. :rolleyes:

I have to agree. All 6 of us that went to Ocho Rios last year will never ever go back. Not even if it was free. When you only get a couple of weeks of holidays a year, or only have enough money to travel once a year, you don't want to go somewhere knowing that you won't enjoy yourself. Just my 2 cents.

We went to Ocho Rios years ago and got a day pass to Sandals Resort. It was beautiful. All food and drinks were included. They had a beautiful beach and pool with a swim up bar.

For me, it's not that I won't travel a certain line.... There is a list of ports that I want to see, and I pick the ship then based on the ports and cost.

ie, we've seen cozumel 4 times, grand caymen 3, aruba 2 and although I LOVE grand caymen and cozumel, I avoid the western itinerarys now because I HATE Jamaica. If I can only cruise twice a year, I'll avoid ships that hit jamaica because it's a waste of a port day, especially if only 3 ports are offered on a 7 day. The Conquest was an excellent ship, but for the reasons above I won't sail her again untill I've had my share of the southern and eastern route.

The grandeur repo which does cozumel, grand caymen and aruba was our favorite itinerary, but the ship was too boring for us and while I LOVE the Destiny itinerary and we had a great cruise, the pax mix was unusual in that we found more larger groups that kept to themselves and met the fewest people to have fun with... so two different reasons for specific ship deterrents, not specifically a line.

Also, I love the large ships, but our next cruise is the small elation... I chose it specifically for the itinerary... so be warned... if we miss the turks and st. thomas I will be whinning, after managing to have a great time anyway;)

So I don't see your perception that an entire fleet of ships is discounted due to ports because each line has similar ships with similar itinerary's which gives you a great choice of fleet styles to match your cruising personality. IMHO.

I now cruise more for the ships than port of calls but I cannot say that I really hate any port. Just like some more than others. St. Thomas and St. Maarten are my two favorite in the eastern Caribbean. Cozumel and Ocho Rios are my two favorite in the western.

I believe many people think that the islands should be just like the towns that they left behind here in the states!!!

good thoughts everyone. To those of you who wont visit xxx port again, you would never try again? Sometimes there is just an off day or time. I loved Nassua but have been hearing a lot of negative about it, would you try again ever? Things do change. My sister has been to jamaica 2x and loved it.

MAmamicki- I went to those ports last year, I absolutly loved Belize, we went on Coral breeze snorkel and had such a blast, my now 7 yr old still talks about swimming with the stingrays.

Most of the cruises I've been on have been the short Bahama jaunts. I am sick of Nassau. However, my DH has never been on a cruise so I am going to try and find something else to do this trip and certainly not whine about "being there again." Perhaps a day pass to one of the all inclusives? Or a new beach I haven't been on yet (don't know if there is one of those, but it's worth a try). Point is, I've seen most of the Caribbean ports and yes, have my favorites (Cayman Islands for all around and St. Thomas & Mexico for shopping) and some that decidedly didn't impress me (any in Jamaica) but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't take a cruise that went there. Like others that have posted here, if I am in a port that I don't necessarily want to visit I stay on the ship for R&R. Also as others have said, ANY bad day on a cruise is better than ANY good day at work--or any good day where it is 25 degrees, as it is here right now :eek: .

Thirty days from now---Bahama bound for the upteenth time---yeeeeeehaaaaaa!!! :D

We decided on Goff's Caye through Carnival because we will be leaving our 2 little ones on the ship.

You'll loves Geoff's Kaye! I went snorkeling there when we were on the Elation, it's beautiful! DH didn't like Belize City. He went with our DS but since I didn't go into town I can't comment on that.

Just put me on a ship and I'm happy! I don't care about the ports so much. I just wanna be cruising!

We have made it a point to try new things at each port. For example, in Feb. it will be our 3rd trip to Cozumel. We plan to do something different than last time and it keeps it interesting. ALthough, I would LOVE to go back to Chankanaab, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Miranda

When choosing a cruise vacation the very FIRST AND FOREMOST reason for my selection is that I simply LOVE to be on a cruiseship!

My second thought process is atmosphere....why I love Carnival for example is the variety of things to do and the nightlife choices as well as quiet or romantic time...so that narrows it down to FLEET (lol)

Then it's timing....I usually have to look at what sailings are available within the exact parameters of my travel dates...usually narrowing my choices down to a handfull-plus of ships.

After that I check flight prices and sometimes discard the ships that are sailing from a port that is much more expensive for me to fly to.

By then I am down to about a half a dozen sailings :) !!

Ship preference comes next and then I price it out.

Finally - when I am down to a couple of choices I look seriously at the itinerary and even then number of sea days vs. port days and when they occur etc. is more likely to drive my choice than the actual ports of call themselves.

Long story short (:eek: I wrote alot! :eek: ) - When I cruise I adjust myself to the ports of call, find things I want to do there or will stay on board. I am cruising for the sake of cruising and if I want to visit a particular place then I do it on a land based vacation.

Tef - When I've been in Martinique I had a blast going on boat/beach excursions that left directly from the pier....no muss, no fuss and a great day! I could have been "anywhere" and the only thing that made it "Martinique" was the (optional!) photo op with the "frenchman" when I was coming off the gangway and the stanard life-preserver photo

People who say there is nothing to do in Nassau have never been to Freeport, Bahamas... That's a place with absolutely nothing to do... Industrial port. :mad:

Freeport is a really cool place if you stay out of the main tourist areas.

We sailed (literally, we were on a 42 ft sloop) to Freeport from Palm Beach on a private boat on our way to the Abacos and had a blast. Ate the absolute best fresh conch I've ever eaten.

Ran hard aground and had a one armed sailor (no lie) pull alongside in a dingy, and showed us how to get unstuck.

That said, Key West blows. Too touristy.

Archived