Cruise around Christmas time - is Canary a good option?

poputchik

Hello, I would appreciate your expert advice regarding cruise itinerary selection for 2018-2019 winter break .

I am well aware that it might be one of the most expensive periods to go but our daughter is still in High School which significantly limits our possibilities. Next year it will be Dec.21 - Jan.6. December of 2018 is also our 30th anniversary so my husband and I really want it to be something special. We've already done Caribbean cruises three times visiting most of the islands, done ABC Islands cruise with Princess in 2017, done Panama Canal with Norwegian and loved all of those trips!

So here is my problem - I'd love to go on a cruise where it will be warm and sunny so we can spend some time on the beaches. But we can't go on any cruise longer than 15 days because of our daughter's school schedule. And my husband does not want to fly too far from home (we live in Oregon) so South East Asia is out of questions for us.

We are considering three options:

#1. 10-days Canary islands and Morocco from Barcelona (but I am afraid that Canary Island will be not warm enough to swim in December) #2. Cruise around Hawaii with Norwegian (cruise itself seems to be exceedingly expensive around Christmas-New Year but with airfare and hotel stay on the island it becomes much more expensive than other destinations) #3 - Chile &Argentina Cruise (Celebrity?) . The last one leaves from Buenos Aires on Dec.23 and comes to San Antonio, Chile on Jan. 6. Two big concerns with the last one - flying to Buenos Aires and back home from Chile and weather in December. December is summer in South America but still it is far from equator so I am concerned if there is a chance to swim at the beach all while on this cruise?

Any other warm places to go in December ? Many thanks!

If you go to weather sites I think that you can probably anticipate some 'pleasant' weather during some of your days but it is not going to be like the Caribbean. I am not sure of your itinerary, but the nearer you are to Barcelona, the cooler it is. So some of your days will be spent in Okish climate.

In my opinion The Canaries are a good option for a winter break from a cold climate but not a destination for someone seeking guaranteed long days on the beach. Can you not persuade husband to go to Asia?? There are some wonderful destinations!!

I am interested to hear if others disagree with me.

If you go to weather sites I think that you can probably anticipate some 'pleasant' weather during some of your days but it is not going to be like the Caribbean. I am not sure of your itinerary, but the nearer you are to Barcelona, the cooler it is. So some of your days will be spent in Okish climate.

In my opinion The Canaries are a good option for a winter break from a cold climate but not a destination for someone seeking guaranteed long days on the beach. Can you not persuade husband to go to Asia?? There are some wonderful destinations!!

I am interested to hear if others disagree with me.

Dear ollienbertsmum, thanks for your advice! Can you recommend any Asian cruise destinations suitable for a Christmas break and no more than 10 days? If we are going to fly that far to board a cruise ship, probably we'll stay at the final port for a few more days too. Many thanks!

Dear ollienbertsmum, thanks for your advice! Can you recommend any Asian cruise destinations suitable for a Christmas break and no more than 10 days? If we are going to fly that far to board a cruise ship, probably we'll stay at the final port for a few more days too. Many thanks!

I have only done land trips to Asia - but loved it. Try asking on the Asia Board.

The Canaries are vastly different from the islands in the Caribbean! Don't be expecting green and lush everywhere!!

I did a cruise to there and back out of Southampton several years ago and was very surprised at how arid the islands we ported in were. Inland was more like a desert. In fact, I went on a camel ride on the sand dunes on one of the islands!!

I'm not saying don't go there. Just want you to know you should do plenty of research so you'll know what to expect when you get there.

You could look at cruises in the Middle East. They sail out of Dubai and Abu Dhabi, I believe. Hot, swimming weather there in December!
The problem with this suggestion is that you have to go to Dubai - one of the most over-rated places on earth. And don't touch anyone if you want to stay put of jail.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app