Which Beach....Help!

Fun Loving

We are a group of 14 women 40-55 coming here for the day on a cruise in April. We like an upbeat FUN setting. Snorkeling, beach/water activities, music and cheap cold drinks are an ideal place. Here are the beaches that I've narrowed it down to. If you have been to any of these I would appreciate your thoughts and input.

Cockleshell: When I first started researching beaches, this is the one that screamed out at me. Water and beach activities galore! My understanding is there are only 2 restaurants/bars: Spice Mill and Reggae. Haven't heard a lot about Spice Mill and have had mixed reviews of Reggae.

THEN I found these and that's where my dilemma set in.

South Friars:

Carombola: While I like that the chairs and facilities are nice and newer, is it too stuffy?

Discovery: I have not seen anything real positive about this area...

Shipwreck: I like the survivor feel and the option for water sports. What are the chairs, bathrooms like? Monkeys and black sand sound like something neat to see.

South Figate Bay:

I hear this is the beach party zone. I see post about a mix of bars, food, music and water sports. Can anyone elaborate on this?

(I did a snorkel/beach trip with MrX Shiggidy Shack back in 2010 and wasn't very pleased with snorkeling, beach or service. Not sure if things have changed)

I believe we are going to be the only ship in port (if that matters).

Any and all thoughts, recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

We are a group of 14 women 40-55 coming here for the day on a cruise in April. We like an upbeat FUN setting. Snorkeling, beach/water activities, music and cheap cold drinks are an ideal place. Here are the beaches that I've narrowed it down to. If you have been to any of these I would appreciate your thoughts and input.

Cockleshell: When I first started researching beaches, this is the one that screamed out at me. Water and beach activities galore! My understanding is there are only 2 restaurants/bars: Spice Mill and Reggae. Haven't heard a lot about Spice Mill and have had mixed reviews of Reggae.

THEN I found these and that's where my dilemma set in.

South Friars:

Carombola: While I like that the chairs and facilities are nice and newer, is it too stuffy?

Discovery: I have not seen anything real positive about this area...

Shipwreck: I like the survivor feel and the option for water sports. What are the chairs, bathrooms like? Monkeys and black sand sound like something neat to see.

South Figate Bay:

I hear this is the beach party zone. I see post about a mix of bars, food, music and water sports. Can anyone elaborate on this?

(I did a snorkel/beach trip with MrX Shiggidy Shack back in 2010 and wasn't very pleased with snorkeling, beach or service. Not sure if things have changed)

I believe we are going to be the only ship in port (if that matters).

Any and all thoughts, recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

You are in day fun charter territory, do why not consider it.

Contact and ask.

http://www.leewardislandschartersstkitts.com/package/full-day-tour-nevis-sail-away/

PS

If a full charter is not in your price point, they could offer price per person.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

You are in day fun charter territory, do why not consider it.

Contact and ask.

http://www.leewardislandschartersstkitts.com/package/full-day-tour-nevis-sail-away/

PS

If a full charter is not in your price point, they could offer price per person.

Thank you for your feedback. We are doing boat charter in another port so not interested here. We want to do a beach day.

Thank you for your feedback. We are doing boat charter in another port so not interested here. We want to do a beach day.

Cockershell and those in the East will be busy, also by the time you arrive South Friars will probably be a building site, so suggest you hit Vibes. Think they offered a free shuttle in the past, but contact them via their website, to ask all questions and book, so you have all your beds together in the front seaview row.

Cockershell and those in the East will be busy, also by the time you arrive South Friars will probably be a building site, so suggest you hit Vibes. Think they offered a free shuttle in the past, but contact them via their website, to ask all questions and book, so you have all your beds together in the front seaview row.

I wasn't familiar with Vibes. I see that it's on south Frigate Bay close to where I went last time (but wasn't open then). Thank you for that input.

I'm following. We will be there end of Feb 27th so who knows what South Friars will be. I plan to do Carumbola...hopefully unaffected by construction. I read the bars have to be out by "the end of February"...so maybe I will get lucky and they will start construction on Monday ;)

I'm following. We will be there end of Feb 27th so who knows what South Friars will be. I plan to do Carumbola...hopefully unaffected by construction. I read the bars have to be out by "the end of February"...so maybe I will get lucky and they will start construction on Monday ;)

Sadly, one thinks you may be dissapointed.

For a large group of women Carambola is pretty nice. Pretty busy very clean and lots of cabs.

When we were at South Friars they were actually expanding down toward Discovery. Sounds like Discovery and Shipwreck will be gone soon but it they are still open you can walk down there from Carambola. Only a few hundred yards.

We really enjoyed Cockleshell about 4 years ago but it is a much longer drive. For sure more rustic but it was fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For a large group of women Carambola is pretty nice. Pretty busy very clean and lots of cabs.

When we were at South Friars they were actually expanding down toward Discovery. Sounds like Discovery and Shipwreck will be gone soon but it they are still open you can walk down there from Carambola. Only a few hundred yards.

We really enjoyed Cockleshell about 4 years ago but it is a much longer drive. For sure more rustic but it was fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for that input. I have been seeing some things about Shipwreck not being there any longer so I guess that is helping narrow down my options. Have you heard if Carambola will be affected, as well, or just Discovery and Shipwreck? We are in port for over 8 hours so the longer drive isn't an issue if Cockleshell is the best option.

Thank you for that input. I have been seeing some things about Shipwreck not being there any longer so I guess that is helping narrow down my options. Have you heard if Carambola will be affected, as well, or just Discovery and Shipwreck? We are in port for over 8 hours so the longer drive isn't an issue if Cockleshell is the best option.

From what I've seen mentioned in a few articles regarding the South Friar's Bay/future development, Carambola probably won't be affected since they own the piece of land they are located on, whereas Shipwreck/Discovery lease. The land Shipwreck/Discovery lease is being sold by owner for development.

We spent most of our day at Shipwreck (opposite end of South Friars Bay from Carambola) on our most recent cruise (2 years ago) and really loved it. The beach at Shipwreck/Discovery is black sand. ALL of South Friar's Bay (Shipwreck, Discovery, and Carambola) have great views over toward Nevis. We've also been to Cockleshell our first time in St. Kitts and enjoyed it too. We just wanted to try something different and had heard a lot about Shipwreck. St. Kitts isn't a large island, so the drive to Cockleshell really isn't that bad. It was only about a half hour.

Just returned from a cruise that stopped in St. Kitts, and can say Shipwreck is alive and well. We had an awesome day there, enjoyed the black sand and monkey sightings, food and beverages, etc. The restrooms are fairly primitive but not bad at all. If you like a laid back atmosphere with very few people/little to no crowds - this is your place! I loved it personally!