Sea Kayaking

Traveler1524

We have done sea kayaking in Juneau, Homer, and Ketchikan. We booked all independently.

Homer was the best, IMO, with an all day kayak with St. Augustine.

http://homerkayaking.com/

In Juneau, we did the kayaking in Auke Bay two times with Above and Beyond Alaska, but looking at their web site, I think they no longer offer the same trip. We paddled about nine miles and saw many whales, but it was strictly kayaking and no glacier walks or hikes.

In Ketchikan, we went with Southeast Sea Kayak on a longer tour than the ship offered at the time.

http://www.kayakketchikan.com/

I think that basically the ship tours are going to be shorter and less strenuous in order to appeal to a greater number of people. The scenery is amazing no matter which one you choose. All our guides were great.

DH and I were complete novices on our first trip in Homer, but made it a point to kayak at one of the ports on every Alaska cruise since. You will love the experience.

I looked at their web site, and it seems like the one we did. I know we had only three kayaks along with the guide. We stopped to look at the starfish on the rocks and maybe a couple eagles, but I don’t recall seeing other wildlife the day we went.

In Homer, we paddled around a bird rookery and saw lots of otters and had a harbor seal swim with us for awhile.

In Juneau we saw several whales.

Even if you don’t see much in the way of wildlife, the scenery is gorgeous.

I looked at their web site, and it seems like the one we did. I know we had only three kayaks along with the guide. We stopped to look at the starfish on the rocks and maybe a couple eagles, but I don’t recall seeing other wildlife the day we went.

In Homer, we paddled around a bird rookery and saw lots of otters and had a harbor seal swim with us for awhile.

In Juneau we saw several whales.

Even if you don’t see much in the way of wildlife, the scenery is gorgeous.

Thanks! Think we will go with that, DW didn't particularly want to freeze snorkeling anyway.

We have done sea kayaking in Juneau, Homer, and Ketchikan. We booked all independently.

Homer was the best, IMO, with an all day kayak with St. Augustine.

http://homerkayaking.com/

In Juneau, we did the kayaking in Auke Bay two times with Above and Beyond Alaska, but looking at their web site, I think they no longer offer the same trip. We paddled about nine miles and saw many whales, but it was strictly kayaking and no glacier walks or hikes.

In Ketchikan, we went with Southeast Sea Kayak on a longer tour than the ship offered at the time.

http://www.kayakketchikan.com/

I think that basically the ship tours are going to be shorter and less strenuous in order to appeal to a greater number of people. The scenery is amazing no matter which one you choose. All our guides were great.

DH and I were complete novices on our first trip in Homer, but made it a point to kayak at one of the ports on every Alaska cruise since. You will love the experience.

Thank you! This is so helpful!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can't help with a review, but we are currently debating between snorkeling or kayaking Orca Cove in Ketchican, both private tours.

My daughter and I went snorkeling in Ketchikan 13 years ago on our first Alaskan cruise. We were given very thick wet suits which kept us warm throughout the trip. We saw different varieties of sea star, sea urchins, jellyfish, and several varieties of small fish. We really enjoyed the excursion and received a t-shirt that said ‘I snorkeled Alaska!’

Sent from my iPad using Forums