Juneau Alaska Whale watching

remharri

I find the best time for whales is starting in around late June - early July. In May some of the mothers and calves are still on their way from Hawaii. Basically, they don't eat anything for the 6 months they are in Hawaii and when they arrive are pretty much feeding 24/7. Bubble net feeding is usually done in July - August. I personally find that they are more "watchable" later in the season when they have gained back some of the weight lost over the winter and have time to hang out on the surface more and congregate in larger groups.

Thanks, wolfie. Our cruises are Aug 1-15, so we've got good timing (for once!).

• 1 month later...

I woukd just keep what you have booked. No matter who you pick someone is going to recommend someone else. I booked two excursions for my trip in June. This is our first and probably only cruise to Alaska so I’m sure everything will be great because we don’t know anything differentEnjoy

Darn. Now I am torn as I booked with Jayleen due to the positive posts on this board. But if Steve is that much better I better change...... ;p

We booked with Jayleen twice last summer and have two more excursions booked with her in May. What makes you believe that Steve is that much better than Jayleen? Besides what you see on the Cruise Critic board, I would also tell you to take a look at Jayleen's reviews on Trip Advisor as it might ease your comment about second guessing yourself.