Pub/restaurant/bar suggestions near Waterloo Station

NoWhiners

Hi all

We will be staying at the Premier Inn Waterloo (on York Rd) for a week after our cruise. I have been searching Google maps for nearby pubs or restaurants for a place we could use as our 'go to' spot for an occasional dinner or before/after dinner drinks. We'd like it to be reasonably priced, which I realize is a bit difficult in that part of London, but there must be some value priced places nearby? Anyone have any experience to share?

I found one pub called Hole in the Wall--looks interesting and could do the trick. Anyplace calling themselves Hole in the wall must be good, right? :D

Thanks for any advice/help

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
typos

I remembered seeing a rather pretty pub opposite Waterloo station last time we were there. Looking it up on Google Maps, it is The Wellington Hotel and Public House: http://www.wellingtonhotelwaterloo.co.uk/. And as a bonus, it appears that when you sign up for their emails, you get a coupon for a free drink - which I just did, as we will be back in March. So thanks for making me look it up... :D

What do you consider to be good value?

The following are nice places to eat in the local area and you have he usual chains around too (pizza express, Wagamama, all bar one etc).

You will need reservations for most of the following:

http://www.blackandbluerestaurants.com/our-restaurants/the-archduke/

The terrace restaurant in the National Theatre serves good food, with nice river views. You don’t need to be seeing something at the theatre to gain entrance.

https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/your-visit/food-and-drink/terrace-restaurant

And ditto for skylon at the royal festival, you can also eat at the bar there for a cheaper option.

http://www.skylon-restaurant.co.uk/

It is a while since I have eaten there but this is a nice gastro pub.

http://www.anchorandhopepub.co.uk/

This is a Gordon Ramsey local restaurant, which is pretty good, the bar in the basement served fab cocktails too!

https://www.gordonramsayrestaurants.com/union-street-cafe

Reservations not necessary:

You will be a 10-15 min walk away but this is a fantastic place to visit - lots of foodie stalls in a market place with fabulous food. Also the large deli would be a nice place to shop for provisions for your room:

http://www.mercatometropolitano.co.uk/find-us/

And in the other direction next to London Bridge, you have London’s favourite foodie place - borough market. There are food stalls here selling cooked food, with a different part of the market selling fresh foods, meats, cheeses, bread, veg and fruits.

Etc.

Around the market are loads of fab restaurants and pubs. Definitely worth the walk!

http://boroughmarket.org.uk/

If none of these hit the mark then let me know and I will try and think of some other options. You certainly won’t be short of options in the area but you should also get out a bit further afield, just hop on a bus or pop on the underground and you have the whole of London at your feet!

I remembered seeing a rather pretty pub opposite Waterloo station last time we were there. Looking it up on Google Maps, it is The Wellington Hotel and Public House: http://www.wellingtonhotelwaterloo.co.uk/. And as a bonus, it appears that when you sign up for their emails, you get a coupon for a free drink - which I just did, as we will be back in March. So thanks for making me look it up... :D

Yes, i saw this and it gets some decent reviews. We are going to give it a try. I didn't know about the emails, so I'll do that too :D

Thanks and you're welcome!

ML

What do you consider to be good value?

The following are nice places to eat in the local area and you have he usual chains around too (pizza express, Wagamama, all bar one etc).

You certainly won’t be short of options in the area but you should also get out a bit further afield, just hop on a bus or pop on the underground and you have the whole of London at your feet!

Soapbox

Wow, thanks this is terrific! I read about some of those places, and we may try to get into Gordon Ramsey's Cafe nearby, maybe just for a snack and a drink. the closest we'll ever get to a Gordon Ramsey place :D

Thank you for separating them into with & without reservations, that is very helpful. Love the idea of going to the foodie stalls and deli, and the Borough market. We plan on eating all around London (especially the Bloomsbury area, where I stayed last time I was in London, lots of good choices there). So any ideas for that area would be welcome, as well as your thoughts on good Indian food, anywhere accessible by tube.

Thank you for your help

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

Yes, i saw this and it gets some decent reviews. We are going to give it a try. I didn't know about the emails, so I'll do that too :D

Thanks and you're welcome!

ML

Tip: Just got my email, and the coupon needs to be used within 3 weeks - so wait until just before you go to sign up.

You are very welcome!

There are two main areas in London for Indian Restaurants, the most famous is Brick Lane, which runs just a bit East of the City, in a trendy area behind Spitalfields market.

Also there is a road with a number of Indian restaurants very near Euston station, called Drummond Street.

Pretty much any of the restaurants in those areas will be good!

I will put my thinking cap on about Bloomsbury - I worked there for a few years so used to know the area well!

You are very welcome!

There are two main areas in London for Indian Restaurants, the most famous is Brick Lane, which runs just a bit East of the City, in a trendy area behind Spitalfields market.

Also there is a road with a number of Indian restaurants very near Euston station, called Drummond Street.

Pretty much any of the restaurants in those areas will be good!

I will put my thinking cap on about Bloomsbury - I worked there for a few years so used to know the area well!

I walked thru Spitalfields area when I took a Ripper tour there and Euston Station was near my hotel last time. Thanks, these are great tips.

Don't hurt your head, but if you think of other places in Bloomsbury, I'm all ears :D I loved Bloomsbury, I even bought a poster supporting the local businesses when I was there. Had pix of many of the places I walked by each day. Still hanging in our living room!

Thanks again

ML

I can personally recommend Chutneys on Drummond Street - first went there for their lunch buffet over 20 years ago, and returned in the summer of 2016, and it was still just as good.

Tip: Just got my email, and the coupon needs to be used within 3 weeks - so wait until just before you go to sign up.

I can personally recommend Chutneys on Drummond Street - first went there for their lunch buffet over 20 years ago, and returned in the summer of 2016, and it was still just as good.

Thanks for both of these tips. I was going to wait anyway on Wellington, now I have a time period in mind. We will definitely try Chutney's.

ML

We'd like it to be reasonably priced, which I realize is a bit difficult in that part of London ...
It shouldn't be difficult at all if you're prepared to walk for about 10 minutes or so. Head to the junction of Waterloo Road and The Cut. There are a lot of reasonably priced restaurants of all kinds near that junction and then along The Cut.

Off the top of my head, and in a pretty random order:-

• Wahaca - a branch of a chain Mexican (real Mexican, not Tex-Mex) which we really like and go to often
  • Gourmet Burger Kitchen - a branch of possibly the first real "posh burger" chain in the UK, albeit started by a Kiwi
  • Byron - another "posh burger" chain, probably one of the best
  • The Fire Station - I've not been here since its latest revamp, but it was always popular but noisy
  • Waterloo Bar and Kitchen - a great favourite for a proper sit-down meal (it's worth going just after curtain up time at the Old Vic, because the restaurant suddenly gets a lot less busy at that time)
  • Tas - Turkish (specifically Anatolian, I think)
  • The Cut Bar and Restaurant - aka the cafe in the Young Vic theatre, very casual drop-in place in the foyer
  • Meson Don Felipe - excellent tapas
  • Masters Superfish - one of the best fish and chips places in London

I would eat at all of these, and have done.

If you're looking for good value places, then (to be frank) Skylon, the Anchor and Hope and the Union Street Cafe are unlikely to deliver. IMHO, they are all a bit overpriced - in the case of the latter two, partly because they are so "fashionable". And if Gordon Ramsay's association with the Union Street Cafe is anything like his association with his gastropub near Canary Wharf, you simply wouldn't know from eating there if his name wasn't prominently mentioned; it does not promise anything special.

If you are prepared to walk over to Borough Market, then before you get there you may come across The Table on Southwark Street.

Fully endorse Globaliser's comments above - I have eaten in all of them. There's also a Black & Blue steakhouse opposite the main entrance to Waterloo - I'll probably be eating in the sister restaurant in Borough tonight.

The Hole in the Wall is, er, interesting. It's a throwback to the 70s/80s and not as a designer thing - it just hasn't changed. Been there many times, and the beer is usually pretty good, but not sure I'd recommend it to visitors. Stick your head in and see what you think, perhaps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It shouldn't be difficult at all if you're prepared to walk for about 10 minutes or so. Head to the junction of Waterloo Road and The Cut. There are a lot of reasonably priced restaurants of all kinds near that junction and then along The Cut.

If you are prepared to walk over to Borough Market, then before you get there you may come across The Table on Southwark Street.

Thanks Globaliser, I will add this list to my notes. We looked at a couple of these places, they all are just what we are looking for. I clicked on Masterfish and they have great reviews and it looks like you can get a salad or grilled fish too. I also found the junction of Waterloo and The Cut--very close to us and lots of options,

We will definitely make a stop at Borough Market, that will be a nice late afternoon activity. Thanks also for the tip on Union St Cafe--maybe we won't make that a priority now :).

Edited by NoWhiners

Fully endorse Globaliser's comments above - I have eaten in all of them. There's also a Black & Blue steakhouse opposite the main entrance to Waterloo - I'll probably be eating in the sister restaurant in Borough tonight.

The Hole in the Wall is, er, interesting. It's a throwback to the 70s/80s and not as a designer thing - it just hasn't changed. Been there many times, and the beer is usually pretty good, but not sure I'd recommend it to visitors. Stick your head in and see what you think, perhaps!

Thanks Cotswold Eagle

Is Black and Blue casual? DH doesn't want to have to dress up for dinner (he hates going back to the hotel to change when we can just stop somewhere along our way).

Can you say a bit more about Hole in the Wall? It won't be dangerous or anything, right? We will just stand out as Americans? This sounds like the kind of place DH would like. And we are trying to find a good pub to watch the FA Cup final our last day in London. We thought Hole in the Wall might be it. Any advice?

BTW, we will be going to Cotswold for a tour and pub lunch after our cruise. We are booking with International Friends for the tour and then drop-off at our hotel. Any suggestions on what we should try to see as we walk about?

ML

Thanks Cotswold Eagle

Is Black and Blue casual? DH doesn't want to have to dress up for dinner (he hates going back to the hotel to change when we can just stop somewhere along our way).

Smart-ish casual by ambience, I’d say, but I don’t know if they actually have a dress code. But not dressy.

Can you say a bit more about Hole in the Wall? It won't be dangerous or anything, right? We will just stand out as Americans? This sounds like the kind of place DH would like. And we are trying to find a good pub to watch the FA Cup final our last day in London. We thought Hole in the Wall might be it. Any advice?

Oh, nothing like that (30 years ago, maybe). It’s a mixture of locals, people passing through the station and tourists. It has smartened up a bit in recent times and they may have the football on in the “garden” out the back, as well as the screens in the big room. It’s not a traditional Victorian pub, if that’s what you have in mind - more of a social club decor, if that means anything! Could be busy for the final, but that will be true anywhere.

BTW, we will be going to Cotswold for a tour and pub lunch after our cruise. We are booking with International Friends for the tour and then drop-off at our hotel. Any suggestions on what we should try to see as we walk about?

ML

Not quite sure what this means. The Cotswolds cover an area of 90 x25 miles, so really depends where you are - does your itinerary say?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Smart-ish casual by ambience, I’d say, but I don’t know if they actually have a dress code. But not dressy.

Thanks, this is good to know. We can check it out. I love a good steakhouse

Oh, nothing like that (30 years ago, maybe). It’s a mixture of locals, people passing through the station and tourists. It has smartened up a bit in recent times and they may have the football on in the “garden” out the back, as well as the screens in the big room. It’s not a traditional Victorian pub, if that’s what you have in mind - more of a social club decor, if that means anything! Could be busy for the final, but that will be true anywhere.

Well, being an American, I don't think of a pub as Victorian or not but more like a bunch of people enjoying a drink together. Social club decor sounds right. Have to find a nice pub to watch the final, but not get mixed up in any hooliganism.:) I do like the sound of the outside area, if it's a nice day.

Not quite sure what this means. The Cotswolds cover an area of 90 x25 miles, so really depends where you are - does your itinerary say?

Yes, that was silly of me to post so generally :o. Description says:

"From the Port, we edge westwards into Mendip Hills down the valley road into Bath, a city that has welcomed tourists for over two thousand years owing to its hot thermal springs that attracted both Celtic Kings and a while later, Roman aristocracy. On arival there will be a full tour followed by optional entry to The Roman Baths...After a full tour of the city and some free time we depart for The Cotswolds and pass through some delightful hamlets and villages with a lunch break in Lacock...you will be given an eye-opening guided walk of the village, including it's ancient Tithe Barn and lock-up after a delicious homemade lunch at the ancient George Inn (or alternate venue if George Inn not available). After our post lunch stroll we will make our journey onwards to your chosen destination of...central London hotels"

Does that help at all? Any tips on must sees/don't miss shops or places of interest? Might still be too broad a question, but anything you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks

ML

Lacock is the other end of the Cotswolds to me (and strictly speaking, I think it is just outside the Cotswolds...), so I don’t know it well. Doesn’t sound as if you’ll have much free time, but most of the attractions are National Trust - there’s the Abbey (actually a country house) and the Fox Talbot Museum of Photography (he was born there, I think) in addition to the things mentioned in your tour description.

See this link for a lot more info (there’s a useful map through one of the links) https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lacock-abbey-fox-talbot-museum-and-village

Lacock is the other end of the Cotswolds to me (and strictly speaking, I think it is just outside the Cotswolds...), so I don’t know it well. Doesn’t sound as if you’ll have much free time, but most of the attractions are National Trust - there’s the Abbey (actually a country house) and the Fox Talbot Museum of Photography (he was born there, I think) in addition to the things mentioned in your tour description.

See this link for a lot more info (there’s a useful map through one of the links) https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lacock-abbey-fox-talbot-museum-and-village

OK, thanks. I am looking forward to this tour, sounds really nice. We aren't using the baths at Bath though :D