Britannia Freedom Dining

AllieBallie

We are on Britannia for the first time next month and we’ve opted for Freedom Dining. Can we choose and alternate between either the Peninsular or the Meridian or will we be allocated one? We’ve only sailed on Arcadia before where there is one Freedom dining restaurant. More recently we’ve been on Cunard with set dining.

We’re looking forward to trying out all the different dining options on a bigger ship. Enjoying good food is a big part of our holiday experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are allocated one or the other, but I have seen passengers turn up at the ‘wrong’ restaurant and still be seated.

That hasn't been my experience on P&O ships with two Freedom restaurants (I admit I haven't been on Britannia).

On the other ships you were allocated to one of the Freedom restaurants, but that was only for the first night. After that you could use either.

That hasn't been my experience on P&O ships with two Freedom restaurants (I admit I haven't been on Britannia).

On the other ships you were allocated to one of the Freedom restaurants, but that was only for the first night. After that you could use either.

We found the opposite last year on Ventura, one night we miscounted what floor we were on and went to the ‘wrong’ restaurant. After a few minutes of confusion,we were told that we were on the wrong floor and we had to go down a level to our allocated restaurant. My wife and daughter laughed at me cos I was sure I was on the right level.

We are on Britannia for the first time next month and we’ve opted for Freedom Dining. Can we choose and alternate between either the Peninsular or the Meridian or will we be allocated one? We’ve only sailed on Arcadia before where there is one Freedom dining restaurant. More recently we’ve been on Cunard with set dining.

We’re looking forward to trying out all the different dining options on a bigger ship. Enjoying good food is a big part of our holiday experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure that "enjoying good food" is synonymous with eating in the mdr. Food is OK, but you will need to use the pay for dining options for a better dining experience.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

I’m pretty certain that the restaurant allocation is intended to be for the duration of the entire cruise and not just for the first night, but as to whether or not it is enforced beyond the first night is another matter. From the experiences of several of us, it would seem that it varies. They obvioulsy rely on the fact that us Brits are a mostly compliant lot and will do as we are told. I haven’t ‘rebelled’ yet but may do so, as we prefer the ambiance of the Meridian restaurant over the Peninsular restaurant on Britannia.

Not sure that "enjoying good food" is synonymous with eating in the mdr. Food is OK, but you will need to use the pay for dining options for a better dining experience.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

We’ve done 3 cruises on Britannia and have found the MDR’s (Freedom Dining) to be pretty good, particularly on Black Tie evenings when the Marco Pierre White or Chaines des Rotisseurs menus appear. The Select dining restaurants are of course better and you do get what you pay for, but you could dine in the MDR every night and still enjoy the food IMO.

For the benefit of the OP, we find that the Select Dining restaurants on Britannia are far better than their peers on the other ships, with the exception of the Glass House.

Epicurean - The version on Britannia is our favourite restaurant at sea, bar none. Service and food are exemplary. The one on Ventura was nowhere near as good from a service perspective.

Sindhu - Asian fusion food. I don’t like it as much as my wife and daughters as it’s very different to the style of Asian food that I enjoy so much at home, but the ambiance is great and service is excellent. We love Aurora, but the Sindhu on that ship is a very poor relation in comparison to Britannia.

Live Lounge - The acts can vary (Darren Day excellent, Clare Sweeney poor, Eric & Ern apparently good) but the food is excellent. Service is less personal than in Epicurean or Sindhu, but it’s a different experience.

Beach House - Fantasic steaks on Lava Stone, sizzling platters, seafood skewers etc. A really nice change from the MDR and particularly popular with younger adults who perhaps find the MDR’s a little too formal.

Glass House - Probably the only restaurant that doesn’t surpass its peers on other ships. Due to its location (atrium) it is heavily used and, as a result, it can be difficult to get a seat and waits for order taking and food delivery can be unacceptably long. Food is great when you (eventually) get it.

So, if enjoying good food is important for you (as it is for us) then Britannia is the right ship for you. Enjoy!

Then there is the issue of club diners trying to sneak into the freedom dining rooms so I presume they check your cabin number as you enter?

Yes, they do always ask for your cabin number as you enter. What I don't know is whether or not they tally that against your allocated restaurant, though logic says that they would.

We’ve done 3 cruises on Britannia and have found the MDR’s (Freedom Dining) to be pretty good, particularly on Black Tie evenings when the Marco Pierre White or Chaines des Rotisseurs menus appear. The Select dining restaurants are of course better and you do get what you pay for, but you could dine in the MDR every night and still enjoy the food IMO.

For the benefit of the OP, we find that the Select Dining restaurants on Britannia are far better than their peers on the other ships, with the exception of the Glass House.

Epicurean - The version on Britannia is our favourite restaurant at sea, bar none. Service and food are exemplary. The one on Ventura was nowhere near as good from a service perspective.

Sindhu - Asian fusion food. I don’t like it as much as my wife and daughters as it’s very different to the style of Asian food that I enjoy so much at home, but the ambiance is great and service is excellent. We love Aurora, but the Sindhu on that ship is a very poor relation in comparison to Britannia.

Live Lounge - The acts can vary (Darren Day excellent, Clare Sweeney poor, Eric & Ern apparently good) but the food is excellent. Service is less personal than in Epicurean or Sindhu, but it’s a different experience.

Beach House - Fantasic steaks on Lava Stone, sizzling platters, seafood skewers etc. A really nice change from the MDR and particularly popular with younger adults who perhaps find the MDR’s a little too formal.

Glass House - Probably the only restaurant that doesn’t surpass its peers on other ships. Due to its location (atrium) it is heavily used and, as a result, it can be difficult to get a seat and waits for order taking and food delivery can be unacceptably long. Food is great when you (eventually) get it.

So, if enjoying good food is important for you (as it is for us) then Britannia is the right ship for you. Enjoy!

Think you mean The Limelight Club those acts do not appear at the Live Lounge which is at the aft of deck 7 and does not serve food.

Yes, they do always ask for your cabin number as you enter. What I don't know is whether or not they tally that against your allocated restaurant, though logic says that they would.

As I mentioned before, when I have been on ships like Ventura they have never questioned or blinked an eye at going to the 'wrong' restaurant.

The only issue is if you asked for a part bottle of wine to be put aside it is now in the other restaurant, so takes a bit more time for the wine waiter to retrieve it.

On our last cruise on Britannia we were allocated a restaurant for the cruise,we both thought the food in the MDR was really good but the old spectre of being seated too close to an 'idiot',even though we had a table for two,they are so close you wouldn't know it,on 2 occasions had us dining elsewhere,we didn't have any problems getting into the Glass House but,apart from our first night when we really enjoyed it,we just couldn't get into the Beach House,often a 2 hour wait being quoted.

Then there is the issue of club diners trying to sneak into the freedom dining rooms so I presume they check your cabin number as you enter?

Yes they do ask for your cabin number as you enter. On one occasion I was told I shouldnt be there because I had a reservation at Sindhu but I explained I had changed the booking to the following evening so it looked like the original hadnt been cancelled. After he checked on the computer he 'let' us in.

Another time we were asked to go to the other freedom restaurant as they were less busy.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the insightful posts. We are used to smaller ships with less dining choice so we’re really looking forward to trying all the different speciality restaurants. We’ve got the Epicurian booked for dinner and afternoon tea, Sindhu for dinner, and The Limelight Club. The Epicurean is booked for my husband’s birthday so I’m hoping it is as good as everyone says it is. We like the idea of the Beach House so we hope to try that at least once, and I’m sure we’ll give the Glass House a try too. Then there are all the bars... [emoji851]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our last cruise on Britannia we were allocated a restaurant for the cruise,we both thought the food in the MDR was really good but the old spectre of being seated too close to an 'idiot',even though we had a table for two,they are so close you wouldn't know it,on 2 occasions had us dining elsewhere,we didn't have any problems getting into the Glass House but,apart from our first night when we really enjoyed it,we just couldn't get into the Beach House,often a 2 hour wait being quoted.

We always ask for a table for two with chairs (to avoid the banquette seating where tables seem very close).

We would have liked to try Glass House for dinner but there were always long waits. It's in completely the wrong location on this ship. I think it will be moved when the next refurb happens. It's popular and they'd be making a lot more money from a better/larger venue.

We always ask for a table for two with chairs (to avoid the banquette seating where tables seem very close).

We would have liked to try Glass House for dinner but there were always long waits. It's in completely the wrong location on this ship. I think it will be moved when the next refurb happens. It's popular and they'd be making a lot more money from a better/larger venue.

Indeed it is. IMO the original Glass Houses on Azura and Ventura work well because they have the original concept of a relaxing bar that also sells food. The later versions don't work because P&O have changed them into restaurants with very small bars.