TWILIGHT HIGHLIGHTS & CRAIGDARROCH CASTLE yay or nay

3G_cruisers

Booked on a Carnival cruise for mid May, limited time in Victoria 7:30pm-11:59pm has anyone done the "Twilight Highlights & Craigdarroch Castle" tour. The tour is a little pricey but it is the only way to see the "castle". Reading a few reviews it seems it is more of an elegant mansion than castle which isn't a biggie my concern is having an 80 year old with us, and the stairs and long walk. Mom is mobile but a little concerned about the amount of stairs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, TIA

There are a lot of narrow stairs, plus the walk from the bus up to the mansion would be a concern for your mom. I did this excursion with Princess, and their bus left us on the main street. We had to walk uphill for a couple blocks.

Once you are inside, you get a pamphlet, and you’re on your own — There are a few people to answer questions, but no organized guide or tour. On the night we were there it was very crowded. We left a little late from the dock, and by the time we got there, we had to rush before the castle closed and another walk back down to the bus in the dark.

The bus ride and narration to and from the castle were nice. We made a stop for pictures on the way.

Although once inside the castle the furnishings and history were very interesting, I probably wouldn’t do this trip again.

If you don’t want to do Butchart Gardens ( lots of walking involved but they do have wheelchairs ), you might consider one of the bus or horse and buggy tours around Victoria, or even take the shuttle to the harbor just to walk around. It really is a lovely city.

I agree I would not go to the castle, they make you walk up a hill through the neighborhood first before seeing the castle. once inside then there is the stairs to contend to. Inless you are in decent shape I would skip that excursion for sure.

Buschart gardens would be doable in a wheel chair, they have a chair wheel path on that looks down into the garden that would still give to some good views. We were ther in late May and the rose bushes weren't out yet, I blieeve we missed it by a week or 10 days.

Jimbo:)