Why no ships based in Australia

DT1304

The Australian market was (not sure if it still is) one of the fastest growing cruise markets in the world.

Carnival just announced their 3rd ship that they have permanently based in Australia.

It got me wondering why RCCL have not chosen to base a ship in Australia doing cruises all year from Australia. Surely there would be value to the company to have a ship here year round, I reckon they would fill one of their ships on almost every cruise, especially if it one of the "smaller" ships.

They only have so many ships and they send them to the places where they can make the most profit.

Of course. I understand that.

What I am saying is that I think it would be a very good business decision as they will make a profit here.

Carnival is a perfect case study. They started just a few years ago with one ship based here, and now are adding their 3rd.

What I am saying is that I think it would be a very good business decision as they will make a profit here.

Carnival is a perfect case study. They started just a few years ago with one ship based here, and now are adding their 3rd.

I'm pretty sure they would make a profit too. However, they feel they can make more profit elsewhere during certain times of the year.

Have you tried asking the cruise line?

The Australian market was (not sure if it still is) one of the fastest growing cruise markets in the world.

Carnival just announced their 3rd ship that they have permanently based in Australia.

It got me wondering why RCCL have not chosen to base a ship in Australia doing cruises all year from Australia. Surely there would be value to the company to have a ship here year round, I reckon they would fill one of their ships on almost every cruise, especially if it one of the "smaller" ships.

They go where the market demands. I'm sure if they thought they could make more money with a ship home ported in Australia then they do with their current deployment, they'd do it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Agree. That about says it all...

Agreed. They head out of Aust to other markets which peak in our Winter, where it's their Summer.

Plus things aren't as rosy here in Aus over Winter - it's not as straightforward as implied above. Carnival sent the 2nd ship away when it didn't so well in Winter.

Plus the 3rd has already been intended to come before but got cancelled. If it even happens this time it has also been suggested that it may replace a year round P&O ship.

So basically they leave during our quiet season, and even lines that are here then send theirs away at that time.

Maybe they cannot bunker enough beer for the Aussis for a 7-day cruise?

You're on to something here. Both cruises I've been on and the entire ship has run out of Gentlemen's Jacks both times with almost two full days at sea to go.

Doesn't bother me as a scotch drinker, but a lot of people were not so happy

Ovation, Radiance and Explorer next winter. 3 very different ships - not a bad deal. As for year round, only Asia and Caribbean have year round ships. It is about maximizing profit, as Host Clarea said.

Perhaps one reason is that many aussies are quite prepared to travel long distances to other countries in our 'winter' and cruisers from other countries see no reason to travel so far in their summer. We often travel to the northern hemisphere in Aug/Sept/October and we are used to long haul travel but we meet a lot of people who think Australia is too far (LOL).

Ovation, Radiance and Explorer next winter. 3 very different ships - not a bad deal. As for year round, only Asia and Caribbean have year round ships. It is about maximizing profit, as Host Clarea said.

Also RCI keeps Celebrity Solstice (and Azamara Quest too) there doing AUS and NZ cruises in our North America winter season, but then relocates it to Alaska as well each year.