Honeymoon Pre-Cruise Lodging FLL

My son is getting married in Oct. We bought the couple a flight to FLL and am trying to find a nice hotel ($200 or less) that will either have a shuttle to/from airport AND the port. They will be 19 years old, so completely unseasoned for knowing what to do so I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for them. I have been looking at Pier 66 and Hilton Marina as I'm sure they would love looking at all the yachts, etc while there. Any recommendations would be awesome. Thank you.

19 years old, getting married, and they can't figure out how to take a shuttle or Uber to a cruise port? Maybe it's time to cut them loose a little bit?

Any of the hotels near the cruise port will be great. Also consider Riverfront Hotel on Las Olas. It's a more interesting location.

www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area hotel and tourist info.

Embassy Suites or other nearby hotels in the downtown/17th street area would be my suggestion - lots of dining & shopping options within walking distance. If the hotel does not offer a shuttle a taxi from FLL will be about $15 and another $10-15 cab will get them to the ship the next day.

Congratulation on your son's wedding! :D

What are you asking?

If it's a hotel you are looking for just go to one of the well known travel sites and check out the location etc. this should be very easy for you as the full fledged adult. Once you find a good one just book it for them if your aim is to gift them that as well. If it's not your aim still book it for them and have them reimburse you

I never book non refundable btw I always book refundable as the cost differential isn't worth it to me

As for transport since you are doing the booking just look for a hotel with a shuttle but if you find one I advise you to call the hotel a few days before the happy couple arrives and make sure the hotel knows they need 2 seats on it

As for any other transport even though your kids don't know about uber they should know that taxis exist. The hotel front desk can call one for them.

I've raised 4 kids and even smart ones need guidance the 1st time around navigating stuff but fwiw any 19 yo getting married had better know to handle all of this stuff on their own. They are not your typical 19yo by any means. Typical 19 yo are working part time and going to school in my book but these two are not kids they are taking on adult responsibilities.

It sounds like these 2 will be getting way too much help...advice...and dare I say it...hovering...from their parents however my unsolicited advice is to get them through this trip because they may really mess up things if you don't help them...but then...cut them loose...but first remind them that rent...food..transportation are the 1st things they need to pay for going forward. Their carefree youth is gone sorry to say.

They are too young to marry in my opinion but I digress and then again I'm from the school of thought that it's college...good job...then marriage...then kids....in that order

But I also know it's different stokes for different strokes and your geography/religion/social environment may have something to do with this early marriage

Lots of luck to them..I guess

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by maggie cruises

What are you asking?

If it's a hotel you are looking for just go to one of the well known travel sites and check out the location etc. this should be very easy for you as the full fledged adult. Once you find a good one just book it for them if your aim is to gift them that as well. If it's not your aim still book it for them and have them reimburse you

I never book non refundable btw I always book refundable as the cost differential isn't worth it to me

As for transport since you are doing the booking just look for a hotel with a shuttle but if you find one I advise you to call the hotel a few days before the happy couple arrives and make sure the hotel knows they need 2 seats on it

As for any other transport your kids should know all about uber so make sure they have the app on the know...and make sure these 2 have battery backup for the phones as well

I've raised 4 kids and even smart ones need guidance the 1st time around navigating stuff but fwiw any 19 yo getting married had better know to handle all of this stuff on their own

It sounds like these 2 will be getting way too much help...advice...and dare I say it...hovering...from their parents

They are too young to marry in my opinion but then again I'm from the school of thought that it's college...good job...then marriage...then kids....in that order

But I also know it's different stokes for different strokes and your geography/religion/social environment may have something to do with this early marriage

Lots of luck to them..I guess

Guess you are having a bad morning. :( OP was not asking for marriage advice, just travel suggestions. Maybe not everyone is an experienced world traveler like some on these boards. Please lighten up. :*

Guess you are having a bad morning. :( OP was not asking for marriage advice, just travel suggestions. Maybe not everyone is an experienced world traveler like some on these boards. Please lighten up. :*

Lol....any 19 yo getting married needs to become a savvy adult very fast.

Fwiw...the op should have left out their ages...

Better to say...my son is getting married in oct and in addition to gifting them the airfare I'd like to book a great hotel with a shuttle for them...any suggestions?

Adding the fact they are 19yo only hurts things plus no need for anyone to know that is there? Also by calling this couple "unseasoned" she has put them down even more. Even the mom knows they are not capable of this stuff on their own.

Wow, surprised by some comments! Sunshine Girl on a cruise, Hyatt Place and Embassy Suites are our favorites. You do have to Uber or taxi to hotel but it’s very close to airport and relatively inexpensive. Both hotels offer a nice breakfast and are within walking distance to a beautiful shopping center with a Publix and all kinds of restaurants. The port is about 5-7minutes away and they can shuttle there for $7 a person from hotel or again take an Uber. We have found Uber is much cheaper and easier than getting a taxi or getting on shuttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some replies...

Our town has one or two taxis (they are personally owned cars) but we don't use them as we have our own vehicles for transportation.

I'm not a hovering parent, but am involved and want to make this PRESENT as smooth as possible for them since life will throw enough curve balls at them soon enough.

I'm proud of my son who graduated high school AND got his Associate's Degree in just 4 years. After the Honeymoon he is enlisting in the Air Force as he intends to fly in the service and a career. Right now he does 911 dispatch until then.

As for marrying at 19? How can I say he's too young when I married at 19 and his future mother-in-law married at 17 and we have both been married to our only spouses for over 32 years. Can't fight that battle when it is working for us.

Thank you for the recommendations, as I'm taking notes on everything. Keep them coming. :)

Lol....any 19 yo getting married needs to become a savvy adult very fast.

Fwiw...the op should have left out their ages...

Better to say...my son is getting married in oct and in addition to gifting them the airfare I'd like to book a great hotel with a shuttle for them...any suggestions?

Adding the fact they are 19yo only hurts things plus no need for anyone to know that is there? Also by calling this couple "unseasoned" she has put them down even more. Even the mom knows they are not capable of this stuff on their own.

Wow, you are really harsh. My "unseasoned" remark was for people to know that they have never traveled on their own...nothing more. And the age was a reflection of that, as well. How would it look if you thought they were 30 and I was trying to get answers to what you think are SIMPLE questions? Just don't comment anymore, as it's clear you have issues. I welcome others helpful remarks.

Wow, you are really harsh. My "unseasoned" remark was for people to know that they have never traveled on their own...nothing more. And the age was a reflection of that, as well. How would it look if you thought they were 30 and I was trying to get answers to what you think are SIMPLE questions? Just don't comment anymore, as it's clear you have issues. I welcome others helpful remarks.

19 or 30 it's wonderful you want to gift them this but age is irrelevant. You could have just said my not very well traveled kids

And yes military do tend to marry very young I know that

My only issue was that you calling them unseasoned sounded like they were also incapable of figuring stuff out for themselves

Personally I prefer it when my kids say they can handle stuff on their own.

Hey Sunshine, please call any hotel you book and explain the situation because many hotels do not allow anyone under the age of 25 to book a hotel without adult supervision.

FLL had issues with Spring Break years ago so many hotels do enforce this policy.

Make sure you call so this is not an issue.

Hey Sunshine, please call any hotel you book and explain the situation because many hotels do not allow anyone under the age of 25 to book a hotel without adult supervision.

FLL had issues with Spring Break years ago so many hotels do enforce this policy.

Make sure you call so this is not an issue.

Ooh, thank you. I actually forgot about that possible road block. He was only able to book his cruise if he shows them his marriage certificate upon boarding so maybe the hotel would do the same thing.

Hi Sunshine...as mentioned above, call the hotel to find out if they can rent a room at age 19. My kids are 19 and 22 so I’m pretty up on hotels and rental cars at this age. Hotels usually rent to 18 and above if there is not a bar/lounge on the premises (state laws in most areas). Otherwise it’s usually 21. Rental cars are usually 25. Once he is actually in the military a lot of these restrictions relax (my son went in at 18). I would call whatever hotel you choose (they can tell you Florida state laws on the issue). Good luck to your kids.

(they can tell you Florida state laws on the issue). Good luck to your kids.

It isn't any kind of law here. It is up to the hotel's discretion so it varies according to property.

It is usually noted in the small print when you are checking out online during booking.

Some of these people are just rude and not helpful. I would have them get hotel that does shuttles. Just for the fact that alot of the taxi drivers not all try to rip off customers by adding cost on or driving them a longer distance. That has happened to me. It didn't work in there favor as I know the cost and the way to where I am going. lol. So I would recommend Hyatt Place near 17th street, or Embassy on 17th street but that one is usually pricey.

Also to the ones who mention Uber, it doesn't matter your age it is confusing to anyone who is doing Uber for the first time. I am 53 and doing Uber this April for first time. Thankfully my daughter knows how to do all that. I will just watch and learn from her.

Good luck to you Sunshinegirl. From one mother to another. I understand the concern and wanting to make it a smooth process for your son. :)

Some of these people are just rude and not helpful. I would have them get hotel that does shuttles. Just for the fact that alot of the taxi drivers not all try to rip off customers by adding cost on or driving them a longer distance. That has happened to me. It didn't work in there favor as I know the cost and the way to where I am going. lol. So I would recommend Hyatt Place near 17th street, or Embassy on 17th street but that one is usually pricey.

Also to the ones who mention Uber, it doesn't matter your age it is confusing to anyone who is doing Uber for the first time. I am 53 and doing Uber this April for first time. Thankfully my daughter knows how to do all that. I will just watch and learn from her.

Good luck to you Sunshinegirl. From one mother to another. I understand the concern and wanting to make it a smooth process for your son. :)

Uber is not confusing. You literally type in where you want to go and press to get picked up. It couldn't be easier, even for a first timer. Anyone who can't figure out Uber should probably not be out in public.

Uber is not confusing. You literally type in where you want to go and press to get picked up. It couldn't be easier, even for a first timer. Anyone who can't figure out Uber should probably not be out in public.

Like I said there is always someone who just can't help being rude and insulting.

Nice of you to do this for the kids. We did the same for all three of ours. They traveled some with us, but not much after leaving the nest as still struggling kids.

I am Hilton brand loyal so we usually stay at the Gallery One Doubletree or the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort. Depending on what's going on you can find rooms in that price range. I don't think either has a free shuttle.

I am a little OCD (OK, a lot), and have booked travel for our kids in the recent past when we are doing a family vacation. I make all the reservations and print it all out. Then I do a cover sheet with a recap of all the RSVP #'s, flight #'s, contact #'s, etc. It works great and takes some of the stress out of traveling.

UBER works well just have them download the app before and they can practice at home. I usually book a car service via limos.com at a pretty reasonable price. Last time we had the driver do an inside (FLL) "meet & greet" and help with the kids with luggage. It was $20 extra and worth it to have guy with your name on a sign at the bottom of the escalator when you get off the plane.