ALASKA Cruise Tour luggage

lakes123

I am trying to figure out how many and what size suitcases we need for an 11 day cruise tour starting with the land portion. There are 4 of us - my wife and I and 2 teens who wear adult clothes. We each plan on having a travel back pack for planes and trains. I am also posting on the Alaska ports of call section.

Remember that booking a Princess cruisetour you leave your "on the ship" luggage with them and don't have to cart it along on the land portion. They also ship your land luggage ahead to each lodge so all you ever have to deal with is your small carry-on bag.

Alaska can be cold, wet, mild, dry, etc. There's no good way to tell. We didn't take cold weather stuff with us on our cruisetour (it was in June) and I finally bought a lightweight sweatshirt in Talkeetna so I'd have something warmer for Glacier Bay. We've cruised Alaska twice - September and June - and both times had tee shirt weather. We camped through Canada and Alaska last year and it rained a lot. One just never knows.

At the first hotel/lodge of your land tour you are given tags for your luggage.

You may each have one suitcase accompany you on the land portion of the tour (although it will usually not be on the bus/train you are on, going separately by truck). Of course this is in addition to the small backpack or other small item you may have with you on the bus/train.

The other suitcases will be tagged to meet you on board the ship. Be sure to also attach the regular ship luggage tags that have your cabin number on them.

We did the 14 day Yukon/Denali cruise tour last Summer. The wife and I each had only a carry on each. They gave us golf claps at the transportation desk.(y)

We wore our coats and heavier shoes on the plane. Our cloths were of the hiking style that had wicking capabilities so they could easily be washed out and dried quickly when we were in a stop for two days.

We were also on the Neuw Amsterdaam which didn't have formal nights so we didn't have to pack that.

It worked nicely for us but we were the only ones in our group who packed so light.