earliest scheduled boarding time is 1.30-2pm??

kingstonKouple72

Apology accepted. I was just trying to be helpful for those that aren't familiar with the new check in process. New cruisers may think that when you check in, you can automatically go onboard the ship.

Edited by RWolver672

Long beach, inspiration.

We embark monday the 12th. When I was doing my On Line Check In it gave me a 1.30-2pm check in time.

We usually are in line at 9am to be the first on the ship.

What is with this?

Answers found in this Carnival FAQ link:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3180/~/online-check-in-and-arrival-appointment

If I go early will that be a problem? I've only done one cruise with Carnival several years ago. If I show up at 9 or 9.30 will they make me wait till the afternoon?

Q: When should I arrive at the terminal?

A: You must arrive at the terminal promptly within your Arrival Appointment.

Kingston....You could check for FTTF, doubt its available but hey, stranger things have happened.....Now, whos to say, you show up at 9 or 10ish, Your documents say 1:30-2 but if one of the terminal/carnival employees takes a nice $10 or $20 in the palm when you shake their hand and let you slide on in....doesn't hurt to try, right :)

You would have 4 to 5 Carnival employees to get past in Galveston

They now occupy the whole Dome. The monies paid are being used to remodel/refurbish/restore the Queen Mary.

Previously Long Beach did not honor Staggered Check In times. After Early Check In everyone had to wait outside while the previous ship cleared.

My understanding now is that, all check in will be inside and there is a waiting area like other ports. Even the Captains Lounge is inside. The doors have been reconfigured allowing for both ingress and egress at the same time.

Unfortunately, I haven’t read on here or FB from anyone not having priority checkin so no info on hoe it is for the nonPriority folks. Hope to have more info tomorrow.

Problem with arriving at 9, if you’re driving, is the parking structure is a madhouse. With the Splendor having 1,000 more pax than the Miracle many will be parking over by the Queen Mary.

Thanks! I hated the way they had checkin at Long Beach. It sounds like this will be a big improvement. Now if they could get the parking situation fixed. Way too crowded and way too expensive!

Long beach, inspiration.

We embark monday the 12th. When I was doing my On Line Check In it gave me a 1.30-2pm check in time.

What is with this? If I go early will that be a problem? I've only done one cruise with Carnival several years ago. If I show up at 9 or 9.30 will they make me wait till the afternoon?

You will not be allowed in the terminal until 1:30 (and this is enforced). Purpose being to cut down on everyone arriving early and causing horrendous lines and waiting times. Staggering them will make the boarding time much smoother. These new rules will allow you to go through the boarding process much quicker and smoother. Also, your cabin will be ready for you by that time as well.

Kingston....You could check for FTTF, doubt its available but hey, stranger things have happened.....Now, whos to say, you show up at 9 or 10ish, Your documents say 1:30-2 but if one of the terminal/carnival employees takes a nice $10 or $20 in the palm when you shake their hand and let you slide on in....doesn't hurt to try, right :)

The terminal employees kinda like telling pushy cruisers to wait their turn. You would need to bribe numerous Port non Carnival Employees, one of whom is gonna to walk you outside to wait your time.

OP here.

To qualify,

Generally we arrive at the terminal around 9am(ish) to go through security and check in, avoiding the long disney-lines to check in...... then we get told to wait in the big room as it fills up with other passengers. Around 11am (generally) boarding starts.

This is exactly what we did last month in Miami.

Again.. I haven't been on a Carnival cruise for a number of years. I consider my vacation started when I get on the ship. I'd much rather get on the ship at 11(ish) than wait until 2. Especially considering this is a short 4 night vacation. Besides, sitting in the "waiting room" gives me time to meet more people!

But thanks for the info all. Much appreciated

Different cruise lines, different procedures. More are moving to enforced, staggered check in procedures due to people arriving as people are leaving creating people jams. There are few amenities outside most terminals and the start time of boarding is never guaranteed. I have been stuck in line until after 1 pm due to some delay, outside in the Miami heat, watching people hammer at port personnel trying to get onboard a ship that hadn't started any boarding.

On my last cruise the people who arrive before their assigned boarding time were not let into the building until that time slot opened. The only way around it is to be Diamond, Platinum, FTTF or have a suite which gives you VIP boarding. My friends thought they could board early and had the 1:00 time slot arrived at 10:30 and were made to wait outside of the building until 1:00.

Spoke to some of the check in people in Long Beach. Staggered Check In is still just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sadie, interesting that LB port staff are saying check in time is just a suggestion. Really unfortunate that Carnival is so inconsistent as that undermines their processes of check in, including for passengers with priority check in and FTTF purchased check in and boarding.

Sadie, interesting that LB port staff are saying check in time is just a suggestion. Really unfortunate that Carnival is so inconsistent as that undermines their processes of check in, including for passengers with priority check in and FTTF purchased check in and boarding.

It’s been this way from the beginning of Staggered Check In in Long Beach.

The first check in time is noon. Makes no sense, especially when Early Check In has always started at 9:30.

Just got off the Splendor; I think getting there at 9am seems like serious overkill since the last group called off the ship was at 11am. There were a lot of staff helping guide everybody through the new debarkation process so I can't imagine they would have enough staff to be doing that and checking people in at the same time. It's my only time sailing out of Long Beach though, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

We arrived at our allotted appointment time, between 1-1:30pm. Again, there were a LOT of staff helping guide passengers. The porter told us that day was their 'grand opening' day. When we got to the building, there were two lines where they were checking our boarding passes. One line marked 'too late/too early' and one line marked 'on time'. We were sent to the 'on time' line and there was nobody in line and check in was a breeze--probably less than 10 minutes from dropping our bags off outside to walking into the lobby of the Splendor. The 'too late/too early' line looked rather long. So they are at least somewhat enforcing appointment times, or at least they did last Saturday.

Edited to add: When we got off at 8:30ish, we saw a large group of people with bags across the street that looked like they were being held up by personnel there. I remarked to my husband that I bet they were waiting to be allowed to check in. No idea when they were actually let in the building.

• 2 months later...

Long beach port staff are not Carnival employees.

so my family of 4 has FTTF. inlaws no. I am driving my inlaws due to my fIL's health. so they wll have to wait to board, we can go early (even though our time is 12:30)

FTTF has no baring on boarding time given.

That is correct FTTF allows you to board anytime you want assuming boarding passengers is open

Your in laws will have to wait til their checkin time

so my family of 4 has FTTF. inlaws no. I am driving my inlaws due to my fIL's health. so they wll have to wait to board, we can go early (even though our time is 12:30)

FTTF has no baring on boarding time given.

Or,,,,, you can just wait with your FIL

The Dome construction has finished and the process in Long Beach is changing.

Before we would arrive around 11:30 when boarding started and we’d be onboard within 20 minutes of arriving. Now it’s anybody’s guess how it’s being done.

You could arrive at 9, fight the parking lot crowds and wait. Or arrive a bit later and have less of a wait. Only reviews so far have been from people with some sort of priority check in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We didn't have any sort of priority check-in. We arrived at the terminal at 11:20 or so. Our check-in time was 12:30. When we got in the building we went to the early/late check-in, which had no line. In fact there were no lines to be found. We were on the ship, even at our very slow moving walking pace by 11:45.

I'm guess that any time after 11 would be good for the original poster, as long as nothing has gone funky at the terminal causing a back-log getting on the ship.

Wow! I have never been in line at 9 am. People are still in the middle of getting off the ship, so that would surely put you in someone's way.

But I suppose you can still get in line early if you want, you just will have a longer wait. Carnival decided they want to sell something that used to be free, so people can just pay for something and not have to put themselves out! I think it is silly.

Just come later.

We didn't have any sort of priority check-in. We arrived at the terminal at 11:20 or so. Our check-in time was 12:30. When we got in the building we went to the early/late check-in, which had no line. In fact there were no lines to be found. We were on the ship, even at our very slow moving walking pace by 11:45.

I'm guess that any time after 11 would be good for the original poster, as long as nothing has gone funky at the terminal causing a back-log getting on the ship.

Thank you for your non-priority check-in report, it was very helpful!!