Snorkel Gear?

4olivers

We are cruising in late April/early May and will be snorkeling at three of our ports. We have snorkeled before at all-inclusive resorts and just used the gear provided. What is recommended… Should we splurge and get our own snorkel gear?If so I’m looking for recommendations! It will be my husband and myself along with our two teenage sons.

My suggestion is to get your own gear, especially if doing as much snorkeling as you plan. Pros: your mask and snorkel mouth piece and find will fit. You're the only person using the gear, so it's clean or just your germs. Cons, lugging around the gear. No discount on excursions for having own gear.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I have my own gear and it is the first thing packed every cruise. I think I have about $40 in each set and we've also purchased snorkel vests to add to our kits in the past few years (got them on Amazon).

But the one thing I DO NOT RECOMMEND is the full face snorkel mask. It has been involved in quite a few snorkeling deaths in the past couple of years and is under investigation currently in Hawaii. Until they rule out that this was the cause, I will stick to my tried and true ordinary old skool style snorkel and mask.

I would not use another a stranger's toothbrush, the idea of using a public snorkel in a third world country makes my teeth itch.

I have my own gear and make room in my carry on bag, I will occasionally leave my fins at home and rent them.

We have our own gear, but have found it is too big of a hassle to pack and carry around with us at the ports. There is no discount on most excursions for bringing your own and we can rent reasonably in ports where we may snorkel from shore.

Also, I would NOT recommend the full face snorkel masks. There have been too many accidents and even deaths. Just Google Full Face Snorkeling Mask Risks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums