Random thought

jscott792

I just had a bid accepted for an upgrade from OV to Balcony. When I shared with a few folks what my bid was, some were upset when their bid that was higher in dollar amount hadn’t been accepted yet. My random thought is that maybe NCL takes into account what you originally paid for your booking as well as what you have bid for the upgrade. For example: if I originally paid 1200.00 pp for an OV and you originally paid 1000.00 pp for an OV and both parties bid 100.00 pp for a balcony upgrade, NCL could be more likely to accept the bid for the couple that will end up spending 1300.00 pp for the balcony.

I haven’t really seen any in depth discussions regarding the bidding process, so I was wondering if others had any ideas on how or why it all works the way it does. Just curious....

Jenn

Myrtle Beach[emoji267]

I just had a bid accepted for an upgrade from OV to Balcony. When I shared with a few folks what my bid was, some were upset when their bid that was higher in dollar amount hadn’t been accepted yet. My random thought is that maybe NCL takes into account what you originally paid for your booking as well as what you have bid for the upgrade. For example: if I originally paid 1200.00 pp for an OV and you originally paid 1000.00 pp for an OV and both parties bid 100.00 pp for a balcony upgrade, NCL could be more likely to accept the bid for the couple that will end up spending 1300.00 pp for the balcony.

I haven’t really seen any in depth discussions regarding the bidding process, so I was wondering if others had any ideas on how or why it all works the way it does. Just curious...additional revenue offered, not past revenue paid.

Jenn

Myrtle Beach[emoji267]

From a revenue-maximizing perspective, it would only make sense for NCL to only consider additional revenue offered, not past revenue paid.

From a revenue-maximizing perspective, it would only make sense for NCL to only consider additional revenue offered, not past revenue paid.

I would think to maximize revenue, they would want to take the bid with the higher total amount (amount already paid + amount on the bid)

Jenn

Myrtle Beach[emoji267]

I would think to maximize revenue, they would want to take the bid with the higher total amount (amount already paid + amount on the bid)

The original booking $ are irrelevant. If both parties bid the same amount to upgrade, then the total revenue would be the same regardless of which bid is accepted.

The original booking $ are irrelevant. If both parties bid the same amount to upgrade, then the total revenue would be the same regardless of which bid is accepted.

Ok, I understand what you are saying. What if the bids are different though? Is it possible that they would take the bid of the party that would end up paying more overall over the party that bid a higher amount for the upgrade?

Example:

Party # 1- Pays 1200.00 pp for an OV room and bids 100.00 pp for a balcony upgrade for a total of 2600.00

Party # 2- Pays 1000.00 pp for an OV room and bids 150.00 pp for a balcony upgrade for a total of 2300.00

Jenn

Myrtle Beach[emoji267]

I think the bidding process is far more complex than just the bid itself.

Lots of variables can and likely are takin into account.

As I understand, not everyone even gets the option to bid.

Then take into account the price of bid, locations of the cabins, even the people bidding (past cruises, latitude points, etc).

Plus a big list of things I can't even think of for the upgrade bid process.

One thing I see in it.

Book a room you will be happy with and a price you are going to be happy with. Then if given the option to bid, bid what you are comfortable with bidding for what you gain if you win.

Remember, there are risks too. Cabin placement you get to book into a particular room unless doing a sail away.

If you win a bid, it could be anywhere.

Remember also you won't get additional perks with the bid win so if you book with 1 perk, you only keep that 1 even if current price includes 2 on the other room.

Say you bid on a BA from OV. You picked a OV with particular reason for placement on ship, the balcony could be anywhere in the category.

Not guaranteed to get the prime location, frankly more likely a poor location IMO unless you are bidding into a category that doesn't really have a down side like HAVEN rooms.

Also compare what it would cost to just upgrade to the higher room vs what your bid is. Don't forget you might go from 1 perk to 2 or other things included by just upgrading vs bidding.

I think the bidding process is far more complex than just the bid itself.

Lots of variables can and likely are takin into account.

As I understand, not everyone even gets the option to bid.

Then take into account the price of bid, locations of the cabins, even the people bidding (past cruises, latitude points, etc).

Plus a big list of things I can't even think of for the upgrade bid process.

One thing I see in it.

Book a room you will be happy with and a price you are going to be happy with. Then if given the option to bid, bid what you are comfortable with bidding for what you gain if you win.

Remember, there are risks too. Cabin placement you get to book into a particular room unless doing a sail away.

If you win a bid, it could be anywhere.

Remember also you won't get additional perks with the bid win so if you book with 1 perk, you only keep that 1 even if current price includes 2 on the other room.

Say you bid on a BA from OV. You picked a OV with particular reason for placement on ship, the balcony could be anywhere in the category.

Not guaranteed to get the prime location, frankly more likely a poor location IMO unless you are bidding into a category that doesn't really have a down side like HAVEN rooms.

Also compare what it would cost to just upgrade to the higher room vs what your bid is. Don't forget you might go from 1 perk to 2 or other things included by just upgrading vs bidding.

Thank you Farmer at Sea...this was very informational!

Jenn

Myrtle Beach[emoji267]

Ok, I understand what you are saying. What if the bids are different though? Is it possible that they would take the bid of the party that would end up paying more overall over the party that bid a higher amount for the upgrade?

Example:

Party # 1- Pays 1200.00 pp for an OV room and bids 100.00 pp for a balcony upgrade for a total of 2600.00

Party # 2- Pays 1000.00 pp for an OV room and bids 150.00 pp for a balcony upgrade for a total of 2300.00

Jenn

Myrtle Beach[emoji267]

No, because they already got that $1200 and $1000. No matter what, they have that money. So, if you had $2200 in the bank, would you rather get an check for $100 or $150 to add to it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, because they already got that $1200 and $1000. No matter what, they have that money. So, if you had $2200 in the bank, would you rather get an check for $100 or $150 to add to it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What would your explanation be for a higher bid for the same stateroom category to not be accepted, but a lower bid to be accepted?

I’m, just for fun (because it really doesn’t matter much in the scheme of things), trying to figure why this would happen?

Jenn

Myrtle Beach[emoji267]

What would your explanation be for a higher bid for the same stateroom category to not be accepted, but a lower bid to be accepted?

I’m, just for fun (because it really doesn’t matter much in the scheme of things), trying to figure why this would happen?

Maybe NCL thinks that they can resell the lower-bidder's original cabin for more than they can resell the higher-bidder's original cabin?

Jenn

Myrtle Beach[emoji267]

Was it rejected or just not accepted yet? Did both cabins have 2 people in them? If the bid is per person, maybe the total for all people in one room is more than the total in the other room? Or maybe it has to do with capacity- rooms that can accommodate more than 2 people can’t always have more than 2 people depending on the lifeboat capacity for that section. Or maybe they accept/reject in waves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it rejected or just not accepted yet? Did both cabins have 2 people in them? If the bid is per person, maybe the total for all people in one room is more than the total in the other room? Or maybe it has to do with capacity- rooms that can accommodate more than 2 people can’t always have more than 2 people depending on the lifeboat capacity for that section. Or maybe they accept/reject in waves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was accepted. I don’t know the folks whose bids were not accepted. I was just tossing ideas around. I’ve seen other threads where some bids were accepted and others weren’t ... I just enjoy pondering is all.

Jenn

Myrtle Beach[emoji267]

Prior to all this bidding, there were threads wondering about why some folks were upgraded or offered to buy an upgrade, while other's were not....

Some wondered if they upgraded frequent cruiser's to keep their loyalty, while other's speculated they took them for granted, and upgraded new cruiser's to earn their loyalty....

Whatever, it's all highly proprietary info, that most likely will remain so.....;)

Not following your logic or math....how could "TOTAL Revenue" (which means original booking cost + upgrade $ amt) be same if one paid less to start with?? According to the example given:

Person #1

$1000 + $100 upgrade = $1100 TOTAL Revenue to NCL

Person #2

$1300 + $100 upgrade = $1400 TOTAL Revenue to NCL

And why would the orginal booking amount be irrelevant to NCL???

Prior to all this bidding, there were threads wondering about why some folks were upgraded or offered to buy an upgrade, while other's were not....

Some wondered if they upgraded frequent cruiser's to keep their loyalty, while other's speculated they took them for granted, and upgraded new cruiser's to earn their loyalty....

Whatever, it's all highly proprietary info, that most likely will remain so.....;)

Likely so! [emoji3]

Jenn

Myrtle Beach[emoji267]

Not following your logic or math....how could "TOTAL Revenue" (which means original booking cost + upgrade $ amt) be same if one paid less to start with?? According to the example given:

Person #1

$1000 + $100 upgrade = $1100 TOTAL Revenue to NCL

Person #2

$1300 + $100 upgrade = $1400 TOTAL Revenue to NCL

And why would the orginal booking amount be irrelevant to NCL???

You have to consider the WHOLE equation...

Example #1 (person 1 gets the upgrade)

Person #1 pays $1000 fare

Person #1 pays $100 upgrade

Person #2 pays $1300 fare

Person #2 gets NO upgrade

Total to NCL: $1000 + $100 + $1300 = $2400

Example #2 (person 2 gets the upgrade)

Person #1 pays $1000 fare

Person #1 gets NO upgrade

Person #2 pays $1300 fare

Person #2 pays $100 upgrade

Total to NCL: $1000 + $1300 + $100 = $2400

NCL gets $2400 in total revenue either way. That is how "TOTAL Revenue" (which means original booking cost + upgrade $ amt) is always the same even if one paid less to start with.

The original booking amount is irrelevant to NCL because in each and every potential scenario, they already have, and will keep, the original booking amount. All they are concerned about is the ADDITIONAL revenue that comes over and above the non-changing original booking amount.