A Video: What I Hated and What I Loved About MSC Seaside

Spaniel Lover

It's been three weeks since I've been back from my cruise on MSC Seaside, and after looking through all the video clips I shot onboard, I realized that I had more than enough material to create a video review of our cruise.

If you thought my full printed review was too long and too detailed, I think you'll enjoy the more concise format of a video review.

Here's the small-screen version:

hAXe8i2Tz3c

If you'd rather watch it full-screen or in HD,

to view it on YouTube.

Let me know what you think about the video... what things you agree with me on, and what things you think I'm a complete idiot for saying! Go ahead, I'm used to it! My family actually has to tell me I'm an idiot so frequently that we've developed an acronym to simplify. We just say "JYI"... which stands for "Jim, you idiot!" :D

Great video....really enjoyed seeing the ship. Used you tube for larger screen....one favor please, can you or anyone else suggest the best outdoor spot on a higher deck for a drinks and a great ocean view, shade would help too..😎😎😎

Can you or anyone else suggest the best outdoor spot on a higher deck for a drinks and a great ocean view, shade would help too..😎😎😎

Definitely yes, I can recommend such a spot!!!

I really liked the Miramar Bar up on deck 19. It has a fantastic view overlooking the Miami Beach pool and also has a panoramic view of the ocean and everything around the ship. I liked that view from that spot so much that I went up there on Day 7, when everyone else was off the ship in Nassau, to shoot video for what I originally envisioned as my YouTube video review of the MSC Seaside. Instead of reading the soundtrack off camera, announcer style, like you saw on the video you just watched... my original concept for the video was that I would be in front of the camera for some parts of the video. I needed a nice spot with a visually interesting backdrop... and walked the entire ship looking for such a place. I ended up choosing the Miramar Bar on deck 19.

Nassau%20-%20YouTube%20Video.jpg

However, in the end, all of the footage I shot up there ended up on the cutting room floor... as there was a little bit of wind noise in the soundtrack (I forgot to bring the windscreen for the microphone) and also there were a couple of points where people who stayed onboard the ship walked behind me and ended up in the shot... which looked awkward.

So, I threw out that original idea for the video review, in favor of the approach I used in the video you did see.

That was a much longer answer than it needed to be! Miramar Bar, deck 19, is the short answer. Sitting at those tables you see behind me in that photo... you'll have a great view. To get to the Miramar bar... go to the Miami Beach pool and then walk up two flights of stairs.

Thanks for the new video, Jim. I agree with you that MSC has a long way to go in customer service and doesn't really understand that many Americans enjoy having a casual but nice self serve dinner in a ship's buffet at a time of their choosing but do want lots of good food and choices.

The seafood night in the buffet on the NCL Escape comes to mind as a memorable example.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Great video! I hope they iron out any problems they can week by week. I'm really not happy with the reports on the buffets. Why do they think that some lettuce, tomato, onions and corn are suitable for salads and satisfying especially on a cruise? Hot dogs, nuggets, and hamburgers? Does MSC think this a floating elementary school cafeteria. I hope they read some of these comments and complaints. They are going to face a lot of one-and -dones with MSC with some of these decisions.

I think part of the problem with the Biscayne Bay buffet on deck 16 is that MSC is locked in to thinking of this as the kids buffet. It is located very near the kids clubs and the kids waterpark. I think the original idea was that the Biscayne Bay buffet would be the "family buffet" and the Marketplace buffet would be the "real buffet".

What they need to do is re-align their thinking regarding dinner at the Biscayne Bay buffet. They need to think of it as a place where people can get the exact same food that is served in the main dining rooms that night, but just quicker and more casually. If they would view it that way, and make all their choices about what to serve based on that viewpoint, they would solve their dinner buffet problem.

And as far as dinner goes, I think a two hour dinner that is a true social event is a crucial part of the Italian culture... to the point that they think that almost every passenger on the ship is going to want to eat dinner at one of the restaurants, not in the buffet.

On some cruise lines, you can get exactly the same food in the buffet that they are serving in the main dining rooms that night. You can have a nice meal in 30 minutes, where it would take you two hours in the main restaurant... and that means you have 90 extra minutes to enjoy the evening's entertainment, or whatever you like to do.

Also, in the buffet, you have control over the portions. Maybe you'd like a little of this but a LOT of that. Or perhaps you'd like to sample a little bit of three different things that look like they might be good... and then go back and get more of whichever one is best.

Also, in the main restaurant, the waiters have a nasty tendency to mess up your orders. This is a problem we never have in the buffet.

But, to each his own. You cruise your way, I'll cruise my way.

Thanks for sharing! I always appreciate when people take the time to go into detail about their experience, while we all cruise differently,it’s nice to read about a cruise from various perspectives.

MSC does things in ways that other lines don’t, while that’s refreshing to some, it might be a dealbreaker to others.

It seems many read a review and if it’s not glowing, think the reviewer, is unrealistic or too picky. Yet, if the person gives a overly positive review they have “the right attitude “

Just because someone didn’t enjoy every aspect of their cruise, doesn’t have any impact on your upcoming cruise, but at least you were forewarned about the experience and can make an informed decision of what to expect.

I do disagree with you about the self serve laundry. We don't go on vacation to do our own laundry. We send it to the cruise ship laundry and let them do it.

Let's say it's formal night and you notice that your trousers got all wrinkled in your suitcase. Wouldn't it be great if you could just walk down the hall and use the iron in the self-service laundry to fix the problem in 5 minutes? Or how about if you're a woman and you've got some super-expensive clothing item that you literally do not trust anyone else to launder? Wouldn't it be nice if you had a self-service laundry facility available to you?

The only reason that some cruise lines don't offer them is that they take up space that could be used for cabins instead. The more cabins, the more income the cruise line generates with each cruise. Multiply that by 52 cruises a year over the lifetime of the ship, and they lose a lot of potential income by putting in self serve laundry facilities. But, they're making the decision based on what makes them more money, not by what is convenient for their passengers.

I always find it funny that everyone else knows what MSC needs to do! what people need to do is accept that MSC is not and will never be an American cruise line and that they do things different, travel agents need to be realistic with their customers and ensure that they know what they are buying into and making sure that they understand that they are not sailing with Carnival or NCL or Princess and that their expectations need to be different.

That way there will not be customers who are annoyed that they did not know what they were getting, a good place for them to start would be giving customers a good explanation of the various experience levels and what comes with them. From the reviews this issue stands out quite clear.

MSC might need to tweek a few things here and there but to make major changes just to suit a few people would be a step in the wrong direction.

If MSC is not for you then you have plenty of other choices.

What people need to do is accept that MSC is not and will never be an American cruise line and that they do things different, travel agents need to be realistic with their customers and ensure that they know what they are buying into and making sure that they understand that they are not sailing with Carnival or NCL or Princess and that their expectations need to be different.

I completely agree with you on this. In fact, this has everything to do with why I'm making an effort to get the word out on YouTube and CruiseCritic and Facebook that all the stuff about this being a cruise ship designed for North Americans was a load of marketing hype.

As you said, this is not an American cruise line and will never be an American cruise line. They do things different. People need to understand that a cruise on MSC is going to be fundamentally different than a cruise on Princess or Carnival or Norwegian or Royal Caribbean. And that's the message I'm making an extra effort to spread... including the details on exactly what is so different, so that people can make up their own minds.

The differences were a negative for me, but for some they would be positives. Putting the word out there about what exactly the differences are... rather than just saying "it's great" or "it sucked" is exactly what I'm trying to do.

And CruiseCritic is the perfect forum for a discussion like this! Thank you to CruiseCritic for giving us all this chance to talk about cruising with each other!

Jim ... I don't think MSC were wrong in saying the ship was designed for the USA, in fact they are correct that it was designed to sail from Miami.

I think that many people misread or misinterpreted this to mean that the Seaside would be just like the other American owned lines sailing from Miami.

Let's say it's formal night and you notice that your trousers got all wrinkled in your suitcase. Wouldn't it be great if you could just walk down the hall and use the iron in the self-service laundry to fix the problem in 5 minutes? Or how about if you're a woman and you've got some super-expensive clothing item that you literally do not trust anyone else to launder? Wouldn't it be nice if you had a self-service laundry facility available to you?

The only reason that some cruise lines don't offer them is that they take up space that could be used for cabins instead. The more cabins, the more income the cruise line generates with each cruise. Multiply that by 52 cruises a year over the lifetime of the ship, and they lose a lot of potential income by putting in self serve laundry facilities. But, they're making the decision based on what makes them more money, not by what is convenient for their passengers.

Sorry, but I'm not convinced. My wrinkled stuff gets steamed in the bathroom with the shower on hot. I can't imagine a lady with an expensive garment using a self serve laundromat. Or hardly anyone else hanging around the laundromat waiting for their stuff to be done. And how many self serve laundries would a ship have to have for one to be right down the hall? One on each deck?

I like the NCL approach where you can send a bag of dirty stuff out for a set price regardless of what you put in it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Definitely yes, I can recommend such a spot!!!

I really liked the Miramar Bar up on deck 19. It has a fantastic view overlooking the Miami Beach pool and also has a panoramic view of the ocean and everything around the ship. I liked that view from that spot so much that I went up there on Day 7, when everyone else was off the ship in Nassau, to shoot video for what I originally envisioned as my YouTube video review of the MSC Seaside. Instead of reading the soundtrack off camera, announcer style, like you saw on the video you just watched... my original concept for the video was that I would be in front of the camera for some parts of the video. I needed a nice spot with a visually interesting backdrop... and walked the entire ship looking for such a place. I ended up choosing the Miramar Bar on deck 19.

Nassau%20-%20YouTube%20Video.jpg

However, in the end, all of the footage I shot up there ended up on the cutting room floor... as there was a little bit of wind noise in the soundtrack (I forgot to bring the windscreen for the microphone) and also there were a couple of points where people who stayed onboard the ship walked behind me and ended up in the shot... which looked awkward.

So, I threw out that original idea for the video review, in favor of the approach I used in the video you did see.

That was a much longer answer than it needed to be! Miramar Bar, deck 19, is the short answer. Sitting at those tables you see behind me in that photo... you'll have a great view. To get to the Miramar bar... go to the Miami Beach pool and then walk up two flights of stairs.

Thanks, looks like a great spot..

Jim ... I don't think MSC were wrong in saying the ship was designed for the USA, in fact they are correct that it was designed to sail from Miami.

I think that many people misread or misinterpreted this to mean that the Seaside would be just like the other American owned lines sailing from Miami.

In an interview with the editors of CruiseCritic, posted on December 3rd, MSC's Chief Executive Officer, Gianni Onorato discussed the fact that MSC Cruises has historically received low marks from North Americans in the areas of food and service, and said that the line is working hard to address both. He said that MSC now has a dedicated team for North America -- covering everything from marketing, public relations and human resources to hotel operations and sales -- and it had worked diligently to get a better feel for American tastes. At the christening of the ship in Miami, he actually said U.S. cruise passengers no longer are an afterthought for the brand, but an essential market. “We know what North American guests are looking for, and we deliver,” Onorato said.

Pierfrancesco Vago, executive chairman at MSC, said that only 40% to 50% of MSC Divina's passengers were from North America and that with the arrival of Seaside, MSC hopes to boost that number to 80%.

So, I disagree with your assessment that MSC did not try to design things to appeal to Americans and Canadians. Based on the comments from those two senior executives, I think what we've seen on MSC Seaside is what they seriously believe will appeal to North Americans. They said flat out that the goal is to fill it with 80% North Americans. Therefore, I have to conclude that what we're seeing is what they think is going to do that.

The two people you mention made other speeches about the ship one of which was reported in a cruise paper re the Aft lifts and another that you would be able to go all the way around the ship which we know not to be true.

Those who are supposedly running the US operation appear to have gone to ground and as far as I can see have not said one word about any of the issues raised so far either about the ship or food or service.

In an interview with the editors of CruiseCritic, posted on December 3rd, MSC's Chief Executive Officer, Gianni Onorato discussed the fact that MSC Cruises has historically received low marks from North Americans in the areas of food and service, and said that the line is working hard to address both. He said that MSC now has a dedicated team for North America -- covering everything from marketing, public relations and human resources to hotel operations and sales -- and it had worked diligently to get a better feel for American tastes. At the christening of the ship in Miami, he actually said U.S. cruise passengers no longer are an afterthought for the brand, but an essential market. “We know what North American guests are looking for, and we deliver,” Onorato said.

Pierfrancesco Vago, executive chairman at MSC, said that only 40% to 50% of MSC Divina's passengers were from North America and that with the arrival of Seaside, MSC hopes to boost that number to 80%.

So, I disagree with your assessment that MSC did not try to design things to appeal to Americans and Canadians. Based on the comments from those two senior executives, I think what we've seen on MSC Seaside is what they seriously believe will appeal to North Americans. They said flat out that the goal is to fill it with 80% North Americans. Therefore, I have to conclude that what we're seeing is what they think is going to do that.

Your point is really well stated, but I personally don't see how their 80% North American passenger makeup, of Seaside will ever happen. Do the American executives have any real power: I say this based on my Divina expereince, where all little burocratic desition, had to go through Genoa.

The cabin design needs great improvment, especially (as you reported) the bathrooms and storage. Has MSC ever heard of a double vanity, for suites? The staffing levels on this ship needs to be increased, along with training and overal professional conduct standards. Perhaps MSC should hire Disney University (yes it exists in Lake Buena Vista, for corperations) to provide propper staff and management training.

MSC needs to strive to make the Seaside a reflection of an Itlaian, Celebrity Cruises ship. The Miami market is increasingly compedative and they have just really one chance. I don't understand their lack of entertainment spending, $$$$$ is needed to complete against, NCL, RCL, and Carnival.

I really don't undertand how the best suties on the ship, get so little, with Seaside? The Duplex Suites on Royal, are Star Class (Haven on NCL) and have their own dining room and other VIP benefits. Celebrity & Cunard, practically invented this concept. Yet, your expierence was NOT VIP, even though, you were in a jacuzzi suite? This makes absolutly no since and really shows MSC has no basic understanding, of the American market, whatsoever!

Also, I should note, the quality of furnishings in the non-YC suites is substanderd to other lines, in the Florida market. No special enhansed room service menu for suites: even Royal Caribbean does that. Why no couch for the Inside YC Suites; Holland America and Celebrity, have them for their cheapest inside cabins? Why only one small chair per room?

The chearleaders can say European, European, European, all they want: this still does not change the fact, that MSC is not meeting its stated public goals, with the US market. People happly pay for Holland America and Princess (both European lines), yet they expect high quality in return. MSC can't outdo Walmart and being Walmart; nor can it outdo Carnival/Costa at being themselves!!

Yet, Carnival is much better (non-YC) than MSC in this market and Costa has (I guess) not even tried. I mean, after ten years and three ships in our market, this is really the best MSC can do: this is really very sad?? They must do MUCH better, or they will loose!!

The same old nonsense of MSC must do this or must do that! No, MSC do not need to do anything different than they are doing now apart from a few minor things.

If you want more Americanism you have enough ships to choose from, why should MSC change just so you can have another ship just the same.

People happily pay for Holland America and Princess (both European lines), And both owned by Carnival!

The same old nonsense of MSC must do this or must do that! No, MSC do not need to do anything different than they are doing now apart from a few minor things.

If you want more Americanism you have enough ships to choose from, why should MSC change just so you can have another ship just the same.

People happily pay for Holland America and Princess (both European lines), And both owned by Carnival!

They are a failure in the North American market, just like they have been for the last ten years! Their pricing on this new "ship of the year" proves it. Oasis of the Seas, had a premium pricing level, for years, yet Seaside is bargain basement, from the very beginning? Yet you say, MSC is doing everything right, and don't need to do anything different: are you completely crazy?

Is the ship sailing with passengers on it ? Have people stopped sailing on Divina ? No, so they are not a Failure as you like to claim.

If they were a Failure they would pull the ships out of Miami and sail them elsewhere, if they are sailing this time next year with half empty ships then I may be tempted to believe you.

The fact that they will be sending a 3rd ship shows that there is a market for it.