First time cruise with Royal Caribbean - Navigator of the Seas 16/09/18

Hello to one and all....

Unlike my most folks on the forum...we are Cruise newbies, but have been bitten by the Cruise bug!!!

We are a mid forties couple, and have tried most holiday types. We went on our first cruise last year around the Baltic with NCL on the Getaway, we loved it.

We booked another cruise straight away, this time with Royal Caribbean on the Navigator of the Seas for two weeks around the Mediterranean. Already looking at next year too with Royal Caribbean again sailing from New York, but waiting to see how this cruise goes first.

Was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice for the Navigator of the seas. Or any other advice that may differ from NCL.

We love the relaxed dining and dress that NCL does, we’ve only just realised that Royal Caribbean will have formal nights etc dohhhhnn,

Thanks in advance

Matt

Thanks for advice....very much appreciated!!!

May I ask a couple of other questions..

Buying the deluxe drinks package, which indicates that drinks up to $12 are included, that said I noticed a lot of drinks on the Navigator start at $14??? Seems a little unfair... is that right??

Just a little nervous of sailing on a smaller and older ship than our first cruise last year....does anyone else have experience of this???

Big thanks

M

Edited by Shrewsbury on Tour

Thanks for advice....very much appreciated!!!

May I ask a couple of other questions..

Buying the deluxe drinks package, which indicates that drinks up to $12 are included, that said I noticed a lot of drinks on the Navigator start at $14??? Seems a little unfair... is that right??

Just a little nervous of sailing on a smaller and older ship than our first cruise last year....does anyone else have experience of this???

Big thanks

M

Drinks on European cruises include the tip, therefore $12 drinks are $14. I believe that the limit is raised to $14 for European cruises (not positive as I never do the Drink Package).

Navigator is not a small ship so don't worry.

Yes, she’s smaller than the newest ships, but had a very extensive refit a few years ago, and when launched initially she was the largest ship in the world (at the time). There’s plenty to do on her. Flowrider, rock wall, ice skating rink, plenty of restaurants (both included and free). The ice shows and theater are usually good. Our (my wife and I) first two cruises were on the Navigator and we loved her both times.

I can’t speak much to the drinks pricing as we don’t drink a whole lot, but there are a lot below $12. A lot of restaurant menus will advertise their “specialty” or unique drinks, and those can be a little higher than the run of the mill drinks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't miss the peek-a-boo bridge and ice skating show,

Has the peek-a-boo bridge been open on other recent sailings? On the 1/19 sailing, the blinds were pulled close on the windows every time that we went to check on it.

We just returned from a 9 day cruise and had a great time. A few differences between NCL and RC but very similar. I think the My Time Dining for NCL is easier - you don't need reservations. You can just walk up on RC too but the wait might be awhile. I think there are more activities on RC.

There is a large hot tub in the gym that was a nice temp (not luke warm). I also like the fact that the sauna and steam room in the gym are free.

Be aware that room service is $7.95.

I like to walk outside on Deck 4 (3 laps around is 1 mile). Can go up the stairs on the bow to the helipad.

Café promenade is open 24 hours. In the evening the WJ has themed nights. They are listed in the cruise compass. We like Mongolian night. If you like Indian food - they have some good curries in the WJ. For breakfast in the WJ, there are 3 omelet stations (one in the back and one on each side). The MDR breakfast and lunch menus are available to look at in the MDR on Deck 3. Lunch took us about 1 hour. We didn't eat breakfast there this time.

You will see different clothing items on formal night from tuxes and evening gowns to dress pants and shirts (with and without ties) for men and dresses or pants for women. No shorts in the MDR but you can wear shorts and T-shirts in the WJ. Not sure how much they enforce the rules because people were wearing shorts during lunch in the MDR.

Good views from the Cosmopolitan Club. Use aft elevators to go to Deck 14.

I missed having the large BBQ's at the pool and outside dining areas.

Have fun on your cruise!!

There is a large hot tub in the gym that was a nice temp (not luke warm). I also like the fact that the sauna and steam room in the gym are free.

Thanks for mentioning this. We love those features on the Freedom class of ships and will be on the Navigator in 3 weeks for the first time. We often used the sauna, steam room, and larger showers to get ready in the evenings for dinner (sharing the cabin with 3 women).

We like Mongolian night. If you like Indian food - they have some good curries in the WJ. For breakfast in the WJ, there are 3 omelet stations (one in the back and one on each side).

Do they offer a crepe station in the buffet like they do on the Freedom every second night?

You will see different clothing items on formal night from tuxes and evening gowns to dress pants and shirts (with and without ties) for men and dresses or pants for women. No shorts in the MDR but you can wear shorts and T-shirts in the WJ. Not sure how much they enforce the rules because people were wearing shorts during lunch in the MDR.

I too was going to mention this for the OP. Just because it is a formal night, not everyone will dress up. You will see all sorts of attire in the MDR.