Help me with wine mixtures....

clginal

Sorry, I know there are threads somewhere about this but, I can't seem to find the ones I've seen over the years.

I am not a wine drinker but, since they allow you to bring a bottle...I am driving myself nuts trying to figure out what type of wine and what to mix with it. I will end up purchasing a couple (at the most) of mixed drinks a day...but, wanted to take wine for those in between times.

I do like sour & sweet drinks....I lean towards peach, cranberry, watermelon, citrus flavors.

I went to the store and looked over the wines....I was thinking about trying Barefoot Red Moscato or Sweet Red Blend. But, then I saw a peach wine...and then I saw others that might work...and others and others......HELP!! :confused:

So....if you take wine & mix with soda or juices...can you share your recipes with me?

PS...we will be on Triumph so, no mini fridge in cabin :(

TIA,

Christie

Edited by clginal

Sorry, I know there are threads somewhere about this but, I can't seem to find the ones I've seen over the years.

I am not a wine drinker but, since they allow you to bring a bottle...I am driving myself nuts trying to figure out what type of wine and what to mix with it. I will end up purchasing a couple (at the most) of mixed drinks a day...but, wanted to take wine for those in between times.

I do like sour & sweet drinks....I lean towards peach, cranberry, watermelon, citrus flavors.

I went to the store and looked over the wines....I was thinking about trying Barefoot Red Moscato or Sweet Red Blend. But, then I saw a peach wine...and then I saw others that might work...and others and others......HELP!! :confused:

So....if you take wine & mix with soda or juices...can you share your recipes with me?

TIA,

Christie

Since you say you're not a wine drinker, here's some advice: Barefoot is terrible!

My favorite is Castello del Poggio Moscato, which also happens to be the brand sold on the ships. It's sweet and bubbly. (Google to see a picture.)

I recommend bringing a small pitcher with a screw top. Upon embarkation, get fresh fruit from Lido. There will be a big bowl of mixed fruit, which includes pineapple, melons, and watermelon, at the dessert station. There will also be whole oranges, apples, and pears near the salad bar. You can ask for lemons and limes, or take them from a display.

Cut up the whole fruit, put them in the pitcher. Add the moscato and your juice of choice.

Voila...instant sangria!

Since there is no fridge, ask your cabin steward for an ice bucket to keep your sangria cold.

I am a wine drinker. Moscato is very sweet (often considered a dessert wine)..It will give you a hang-over. I have never, ever heard of mixing wine with something other than club soda to make a "spritzer"......so in my opinion, mixing sweet juices with a sweet wine....MAJOR hang-over. If you don't care for wine, don't bring it!

Thanks for the replies.....see I don't know a thing about wine....and "mixing" it .....yikes....and will stay away from Barefoot. The label caught my eye.......and yes, I don't want a major hang-over.

I do like the idea of the fruit & making a sangria. I have a few weeks to go, I may test some at home.

Thanks again for the replies!!

Thanks for the replies.....see I don't know a thing about wine....and "mixing" it .....yikes....and will stay away from Barefoot. The label caught my eye.......and yes, I don't want a major hang-over.

I do like the idea of the fruit & making a sangria. I have a few weeks to go, I may test some at home.

Thanks again for the replies!!

For a good inexpensive wine...and a novice, try either Clos du bois or Santa Margarita. Both are very good.

I am a wine drinker. Moscato is very sweet (often considered a dessert wine)..It will give you a hang-over. I have never, ever heard of mixing wine with something other than club soda to make a "spritzer"......so in my opinion, mixing sweet juices with a sweet wine....MAJOR hang-over. If you don't care for wine, don't bring it!

I never had a hangover from Moscato, not from any wine.

I drink all sorts of wine (lived on the central coast of California for about 7 years near Paso Robles) and like a wide variety.

A good friend there who was a "wine connoisseur" taught me a few things and had me taste wine from his personal collection that cost over $100 bottle. Then he had me taste a $15 bottle of wine. I couldn't taste much difference.

He told me that honestly most people can't so his suggestion has always been to just try it, find what you like and don't worry about the cost.

That being said, I enjoy a wines from a wide range of prices, and can say that while it is a "cheaper" wine, I have never had a problem with Barefoot. It is what it is.

For the price, I suggest buying a bottle before you go and trying it out at home!

The Sweet Red is pretty good and Pink Moscato is not bad either!

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, my wife really likes the Villa Alena Moscato D'Asti.

Very tasty.

We have also been enjoying Malbec wines (that is a style like Moscato or Shiraz). Haven't tried one of those yet that we didn't care for.

You might even look in your area to see if there is anywhere that does tastings, so that you can try a few first.

As others said, since you like sweet stuff, a good sweet red or moscato should serve you nicely!

I concur with the champagne/sparkling wine. Since you said you're not much of a wine drinker and like fruity drinks, I can recommend one we got as a gift from a friend recently. Verdi Raspberry Sparkletini, I was surprised how very good it was, so smooth, sweet, but a lil tangy. I looked it up, it was $4.50 for a 750ml bottle at Total Wine, and they had a peach and a strawberry as well. I bet the peach would be good with OJ and/or cranberry, the raspberry is good on it's own.

My wife likes Moscato and if we're going to be in town a couple of days before our cruise, will go and buy a couple of good bottles for about 1/3 the cost of what the Castello costs onboard. The only time I would buy that brand onboard is during the 1/2 off special in the Steakhouse the first or second night of the cruise.

TIA,

Christie

We drink mostly sweet wines, so many might say we are not wine drinkers either. Other than Sangria or mixing different wines together I am not used to mixed drinks with wine. I would recommend visiting a local winery and sampling to see what you like - many have wines like apple/peach/or berry instead of grape.

I have never experienced hangovers from sweet wines/moscato, but I also don't tend to be hungover in general.

One type of wine that is used for mixed drinks is mead - a sweet wine made from honey. Some examples:

-dew mead: mountain dew and mead- very sweet and you would need to bring your own mountain dew

-dew mead hard: above with hard cider - cuts some of the sweetness, but still sweet

-snake bite: mead and cider - Carnival has Angry Orchard which is a sweeter cider; if they have Strongbow it will be a little drier (cider is priced about the same as beer)

-bee sting: mead and beer

Thanks all!! I will be with some wine drinking friends this weekend and will let them help me try some. Also, going to visit the local winery, they make a peach wine I would like to try.

I did purchase a pink moscato, did not like...and a peach moscato that I could drink. So, the search is still on...but, hey, I'm having fun with it!! I appreciate this board & all the info I learn here!!

Christie