See You Later Caribbean Princess.

bobontheblue

This past week we booked, September this year on the Caribbean Princess. Not having sailed on her since a TA in 2016, we were excited to see the new updates.

Well thanks to cruisecritic, we have decided to put our trust in another ship and a new itinerary, for September. We had experienced some engine difficulties on our crossing. To find out that Princess has allowed the problem to persist did not fill us with confidence. Changed ports, reduced time in port, and the possibility of an interrupted holiday. All because of a band aid solution to try and see her through till 2019. NO THANKS.

I am well aware that anything can happen to any ship at any time. For me I would feel better putting my trusted holiday plans in another vessel. Catch you later Cartagena .

We were on the CB west bound TA in September 2016. We missed the Shetland Islands (tender port) due to the wind/waves. We were able to make every tour private or ship that we had booked so no real problem there. The only change I remember was Boston but we have been there many times by air so we just got off and went down to Faneuil Hall for awhile. At the time the CB was having the same problem it is now which is reduced speed to about 18 or so knots. They have had this problem for a long time now so it seems to be stabilized. It has to do with one of the 4 diesel generators not able to attain full power. We are booked on the CB in November and looking forward to it.

We were on the same crossing, what an amazing trip. I am surprised considering the crossing we had from Norway, then up the North Sea. Those poor engines were put through the paces. So glad to hear you had a great trip. My point being, listening to other threads considering the state of this vessel, for the time being we will book another sailing. More about our comfort level. We can always revisit her in 2019, post surgery.

Would love to do Iceland again, totally amazing.

This past week we booked, September this year on the Caribbean Princess. Not having sailed on her since a TA in 2016, we were excited to see the new updates.

Well thanks to cruisecritic, we have decided to put our trust in another ship and a new itinerary, for September. We had experienced some engine difficulties on our crossing. To find out that Princess has allowed the problem to persist did not fill us with confidence. Changed ports, reduced time in port, and the possibility of an interrupted holiday. All because of a band aid solution to try and see her through till 2019. NO THANKS.

I am well aware that anything can happen to any ship at any time. For me I would feel better putting my trusted holiday plans in another vessel. Catch you later Cartagena .

It might appear as a "band-aid" approach to solving the situation and I understand that. The reality is that the fix is not that easy and to do so involves getting space in a dry-dock. The ship can perform safely. The itineraries do have to be modified to the reduction of overall speed limits, which is only a couple of knots but enough to make the adjustments.

I understand that there is always wishes to visit certain ports and that if the ship can't accommodate that then another ship will have to be chosen. I am sorry you will choose to another ship and miss the really nice things the CB has incorporated in her last re-fit last year.

Princess has already adjusted port times to account for the CB's speed issue. There was an additional technical problem when we sailed on a British isles cruise this past August. Coupled with our leaving Guernsey late due to delays in tendering, the ship was delayed in getting to Cobh. Fortunately, our independently booked excursion folks learned of the delay and adjusted our tour appropriately. The CB stayed in Cobh so we had the same number of hours there and did not have any problem getting to Dublin on time.