Probably dumb questions from a newbie

Hllb

Booked our first cruise for our family on the Carnival Breeze. I have a few questions since I've never cruised before.

1) We are in the aft section of deck 6 (cabin 6458 and 6456) for my family of 5. I didn't realize the night club was right below us. Will it be loud? I booked through Costco with non-refundable deposit. If you tell me it's loud, could I call and change the cabin assignments? I'm not sure they even could move us without changing cabin types since I want the cabins right next to each other.

2) Are non-alcoholic drinks provided at meals free of charge? I plan on purchasing the pop package anyway, but that doesn't include coffee and I'm hoping my breakfast will include coffee free of charge.

3) I have an offer in My Cruise Manager (that may or may not be working right now LOL) for 10% off an excursion package. I'm thinking this is a good deal and I need to book it (deadline is tonight, not sure if the website will work enough for me to even do it).

4) How does the dining work? We selected the one where we can pick our own time, but that only applies to dinner correct? So for breakfast and lunch do we just show up? Please feel free to point me to appropriate sections on their website too. I've found it difficult to find the information I want. Are typical menus posted anywhere (for other than the specialty dining)? I'd like to know what kind of options are typically offered in main dining or at the buffet.

5) I plan on booking my excursions through Carnival since it's our first time cruising and the promise not to leave without you is attractive. Good idea?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that'll do it for now. Thanks!

See my answers in red, and welcome to your new addiction!

Booked our first cruise for our family on the Carnival Breeze. I have a few questions since I've never cruised before.

1) We are in the aft section of deck 6 (cabin 6458 and 6456) for my family of 5. I didn't realize the night club was right below us. Will it be loud? I booked through Costco with non-refundable deposit. If you tell me it's loud, could I call and change the cabin assignments? I'm not sure they even could move us without changing cabin types since I want the cabins right next to each other.

2) Are non-alcoholic drinks provided at meals free of charge? I plan on purchasing the pop package anyway, but that doesn't include coffee and I'm hoping my breakfast will include coffee free of charge. Tap water, coffee, hot tea, iced tea, lemonade, hot chocolate, and some juices at breakfast only are available free of additional charge. The only coffee that you will be charged for are the specialty coffees at the coffee shop.

3) I have an offer in My Cruise Manager (that may or may not be working right now LOL) for 10% off an excursion package. I'm thinking this is a good deal and I need to book it (deadline is tonight, not sure if the website will work enough for me to even do it). Anytime you can get a deal on an excursion, take it :)

4) How does the dining work? We selected the one where we can pick our own time, but that only applies to dinner correct? So for breakfast and lunch do we just show up? Please feel free to point me to appropriate sections on their website too. I've found it difficult to find the information I want. Are typical menus posted anywhere (for other than the specialty dining)? I'd like to know what kind of options are typically offered in main dining or at the buffet. For YTD, just show up at the dining room that is listed on your S&S card during the posted hours (normally between 5:45 and 9:00 or something like that). You will sign in with the hostess and they will seat you, just like a restaurant on land. In the MDR on sea days you can have the sea day brunch and there is breakfast in the MDR on port days. There are hours posted for all of the Lido restaurants in the Fun Times.

If you look at the Carnival site and search for your ship, it will take you on a little tour of the dining options on that ship.

5) I plan on booking my excursions through Carnival since it's our first time cruising and the promise not to leave without you is attractive. Good idea? I always think that's a good idea for first-time cruisers. It takes a bit of the stress out of it. Don't forget that they have a best-price guarantee for their excursions.

2) Are non-alcoholic drinks provided at meals free of charge? I plan on purchasing the pop package anyway, but that doesn't include coffee and I'm hoping my breakfast will include coffee free of charge.

Drinks of some type are always available at the Lido, including coffee, milk, and juices at breakfast.

4) How does the dining work? We selected the one where we can pick our own time, but that only applies to dinner correct? So for breakfast and lunch do we just show up? Please feel free to point me to appropriate sections on their website too. I've found it difficult to find the information I want. Are typical menus posted anywhere (for other than the specialty dining)? I'd like to know what kind of options are typically offered in main dining or at the buffet.

For breakfast or lunch on the Lido, you just wander in and grab food - it is cafeteria style. For breakfast (or brunch on seadays) in the Main Dining Room (MDR), you just show up and get seated. If it is busy you will get seated faster if you are willing to share a table.

5) I plan on booking my excursions through Carnival since it's our first time cruising and the promise not to leave without you is attractive. Good idea?

That's what I did - first time, go with the safe predictable stuff. After that, test whether you want to chance going outside the Carnival system (cheaper, but not guaranteed to be as co-ordinated).

1. I doubt the night club will bother you. The music is on the first floor and it's 3 decks high.

2. Regular coffee, water and iced tea are free at meals.

3.We don't do Carnival excursions.

4You show up when you want to eat. If there is a wait they will give you a beeper, not a long wait. Usually breakfast and lunch are very quick.

5. See 3 above!

Enjoy your cruise!!!

2) Are non-alcoholic drinks provided at meals free of charge? I plan on purchasing the pop package anyway, but that doesn't include coffee and I'm hoping my breakfast will include coffee free of charge. ice tea and lemonade are free as are coffee and hot tea. But to get the better coffee you can purchase it.

3) I have an offer in My Cruise Manager (that may or may not be working right now LOL) for 10% off an excursion package. I'm thinking this is a good deal and I need to book it (deadline is tonight, not sure if the website will work enough for me to even do it). we have done it and it's easy for a newbie cruiser. We have also done our own excursions. If you are having computer problems with the carnivasl site, call.

4) How does the dining work? We selected the one where we can pick our own time, but that only applies to dinner correct? exactly So for breakfast and lunch do we just show up? you do and there are many options to choose fromPlease feel free to point me to appropriate sections on their website too. I've found it difficult to find the information I want. Are typical menus posted anywhere (for other than the specialty dining)? many are posted here on cruise critic, use the search tool I'd like to know what kind of options are typically offered in the main dining or at the buffet.buffet has the usual salad, hot meal and cold. Some changes daily. Try the deli (cooked to order sandwiches), the wok station (cooked to order stir fry), Guys burgers (for burgers and fries), Blue Iguana (for tacos and such). You can also do a sit-down lunch in dining room (caesar salad, burgers,...) oh, and there is a pasta restaurant that is free at lunch (made to order pasta) and pizzeria (24 hours)

5) I plan on booking my excursions through Carnival since it's our first time cruising and the promise not to leave without you is attractive. Good idea?sure. Easy. After you have cruised once, you'll probably want to venture out on your own (cheaper, lol/less crowded)

ask away!

Thanks for all the replies!

I didn't realize the night club was 3 decks high, so if music is on the lowest level, that shouldn't be an issue. Yay!

For the YTD, you can prearrange reservations rather than just show up, can't you? I thought I saw that. We just picked that because 5:30 is really early and 8:30 is really late for our youngest. I was planning on doing a reservation time between 6:30 and 7:00.

Since you booked through Costco you will need to contact them for any changes and are bound by the agreement you "signed" with them. So only someone familiar with Costco TOS can answer your question regarding moving and associated costs. Yes you will hear the nightclub below. Many that book above such venues will report some noise. Only you know if it will be a problem for your group.

In the MDR (main dinning room) Breakfast / Brunch includes Coffee / Tea / juice / Hot chocolate

MDR dinner includes coffee/ tea/ lemon aid/ milk but Juice and carbonated beverages are charged at bar price.

Lido is the same except the juice choices are limited.

You bottomless bubbles can be used in the MDR.

3) I have an offer in My Cruise Manager (that may or may not be working right now LOL) for 10% off an excursion package. I'm thinking this is a good deal and I need to book it (deadline is tonight, not sure if the website will work enough for me to even do it).

Always good to save a little money. When you purchase excursions through Carnival you do have to pay for them at time of purchase. If you choose to cancel they will be refunded to the same method of payment.

Assigned dining time (early or late) is exactly that-- you show up at your assigned time and sit at the same table each time. And yes that is for evening only. With YTD (your time dining) you go to the MDR and make your request of a table. Sometime there is a wait just like any land based restraint. Breakfast (port days) and Brunch (sea days) is open seating.

All of times will be in your fun time (flyer delivered to your stateroom each evening) As far a menus you will find some thank to google, searching these forums or joining groups for your sailing.

Carnival has a excellent FAQ (frequently asked questions) section on their home page. Look for it near the bottom of the page. As a new cruiser and booking on your own it would be good to review especially the restricted item section.

5) I plan on booking my excursions through Carnival since it's our first time cruising and the promise not to leave without you is attractive. Good idea? Always good for first time cruisers.

Welcome to the addition of cruising.

I didn't realize the night club was 3 decks high, so if music is on the lowest level, that shouldn't be an issue. Yay!

For the YTD, you can prearrange reservations rather than just show up, can't you? I thought I saw that. We just picked that because 5:30 is really early and 8:30 is really late for our youngest. I was planning on doing a reservation time between 6:30 and 7:00.

No reservations for YTD. Just show up when you want to eat and check in. Just like a land-based restaurant. If there are tables available, you will be seated right away. If not, they will provide a pager and will let you know when they are ready to seat you. Really, IMHO, one of the joys of YTD is not having a time where you have to be at the MDR.

No, I don't recall anything about pre-arranged reservations for YTD. You just show up like you would at any other land-based restaurant and get the next available suitable for your party. You may have to wait 10 or 15 min.

Hello there and Welcome to Cruise Critic.

There is no such thing as a dumb question on this forum despite the rude people you will encounter.

Just ask away and there will always be an answer to your question. This is what this forum is all about helping each other out from cruiser to cruiser. Happy Cruising

1) We are in the aft section of deck 6 (cabin 6458 and 6456) for my family of 5. I didn't realize the night club was right below us. Will it be loud?

I was just looking at the deck plans for Breeze. Another poster responded that you don't need to worry, the night club is three decks high.

But underneath your cabins (I see they across the hall from each other) appears to be the Steakhouse, maybe a bit of the Limelight lounge. The Liquid Night Club (only one deck high, AFAICT) is forward of your location.

So I don't think you have anything to worry about, if I am reading the deck plans correctly.

No, I don't recall anything about pre-arranged reservations for YTD. You just show up like you would at any other land-based restaurant and get the next available suitable for your party. You may have to wait 10 or 15 min.

Thanks, I could be confusing that with Royal C's program. Initially booked there, but once I saw how much excursions cost, I looked for a less expensive cruise package. The difference in cost is basically paying for the excursions for our family of 5.

I was just looking at the deck plans for Breeze. Another poster responded that you don't need to worry, the night club is three decks high.

But underneath your cabins (I see they across the hall from each other) appears to be the Steakhouse, maybe a bit of the Limelight lounge. The Liquid Night Club (only one deck high, AFAICT) is forward of your location.

So I don't think you have anything to worry about, if I am reading the deck plans correctly.

Thanks! I'm probably the only one it would bother in my group. I'll just bring ear plugs, just in case.

Question on Faster to the Fun. It says sold out for our cruise (Christmas 2018). Is it really sold out that early? I'll keep checking anyway.

It does sell out fast, normally. Keep checking. More will be available as people cancel it or Carnival makes more available for your sailing.

I'll respond to these two since they are related.

Yes, if you are completely new to cruising, and you are worried about the ship leaving you, then it might be better to book something through the ship. And I would take any discount Carnival gives you!

BUT, I would also implore you to check out the port of call section of the site for your destination and see what independent tours are available. There are MANY reputable tour operators recommend who often do the same and, quite often, better tours than what the cruise ship offers as these tend to be smaller groups and tailored more to what you want to do.

And these operators are very reliable and know that getting folks back late would ruin their credibility and destroy their business. You've got it hand to Carnival though; there's nothing like a good dose of fear to drive up excursion sales.

You have to do whatever you are comfortable with. I can say in 6 cruises thus far, we've only booked a few ship excursions. The rest have been through very highly recommended independent tour operators here and on sites like Trip Advisor. We've never been late and have had some of our best cruise memories by hiring these operators.

Answer to question 1 about the noise from the nightclub - I stayed in an aft extended on deck six on the Magic (Same layout). The room was equivalent to 6474 on the Breeze - we absolutely heard music, a very loud bass and sometimes could hear what the DJ was saying several nights very late. So please go in knowing that so you won't be disappointed. I just ignore these kind of things, but some people don't (my brother who was next door :( ) for instance. Have a great cruise!

Question on Faster to the Fun. It says sold out for our cruise (Christmas 2018). Is it really sold out that early? I'll keep checking anyway.

Yes, this does tend to sell out early. Most sailings have the excursions available for booking about 12 - 14 months in advance. FTTF is one of the first things to go.

You'll learn as you read posts here, that FTTF availability can be influenced by the number of Platinum and Diamond guests on a sailing, as many of the perks you purchase with FTTF are available to these folks by default.

For those really wanting to purchase FTTF, it becomes a daily ritual to check FTTF availability multiple times a day....every day in the hopes it becomes available. If it does, it usually isn't for very long.

I would definitely call and get your cabins switched. This far out I’m sure there are two cabins they can move you to a floor that has cabins above and below you. There shouldn’t be a charge as long as they’re the same categories as you already have. Why risk being kept awake every night? Enjoy your cruise!

Being above the lounge is only (mildly) problematic if you are above the stage speakers, which you wont be. I have had cabins right above the stage speaker and the only noise I heard was the music and voice of the comedian intros. I wouldnt want to be over the dance club though...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Congratulations on your 1st cruise, you are going to love it.

I sailed on the Breeze in 2015 and stayed on the 7th deck mid-ship and had no noise issues.

I might be in the minority here, but I've enjoyed the Carnival excursions more than the ones I went out and did on my own, granted they are more expensive.

For the excursions, if it makes you feel more comfortable, go ahead and book with Carnival. That's what I did on my first. Then immediately go online and find the cheapest private tour operator offering the same excursion and do a price protection claim with Carnival. They will put 110% of the price difference back on your room as an on board credit.