Dress Code - Either Enforce it of Forget It

Djptcp

The DW, kids, and I get all prettied up for formal night. We don't get to do it often so we take the opportunity to do so. Only get to put the suit on for a few occasions and 1 of them isn't joyous.

I think it's respect. Respect for rules and others. If I didn't have the attire, I would hit the buffet. That's just me. But don't let it ruin your evening. People gonna do what they gonna do and all the fussing isn't going to make your cruise any better.

We tell our kids to respect the rules but question authority.......all while driving 70mph in a 60mph zone. We all have our set of rules we choose to follow.

Touche....LOL. I agree 100%.... I'm the one who will make a snide comment to my wife when someone like this walks by our table....Then I forget about it. But if this person was sitting at my table..... It wouldn't sit well with me and as non confrontational I am...I would definitely speak to Maitre'D

I get my example is the extreme, but it just goes back to some basic common sense....2 nights out of 7, wear a pair of pants....they asking you to rent a tux? No....They asking for a full suit and tie? No....a pair of pants and a collared shirt 2 out of 7 nights. Here is the best part, if you dont even want to compromise just a very little bit, no problem!!!! Its not like they wont feed you. If you just have to be in those shorts or jeans, fine, just go to the Lido deck those 2 nights. The truly remarkable part of this, even after the Carnival rules are bending over backwards to accomodate, you still have people trying to buck the trend and push the limits :rolleyes:

The real issue is presented in the OP's post. We are where we are today because of lack of enforcement of the dress code amongst the Carnival fleet...and perhaps people not willing to go to the Maitre'd for fear of being called a child.

Imagine if you will that every Maitre'd on every Carnival ship enforced the dress code. What if that expectation was consistently set on every cruise. Why, these threads would go away...no. Yeah, I didn't think so. There would a whole litany of threads complaining about the strict enforcement of the dress code and suggestions by those here on how to skirt the rules, much like other Carnival programs which have strict guidelines.

Where does that leave us? Right back here in another thread about the dress code with both sides arguing ad nauseum about whether to care or not care.

See you all later on the next thread about the dress code.

Me personally, I wish they would just do away with elegant night. Maybe keep some of the specialty restaurants where you have to dress business casual for those who want to play dress up, but keep the MDR casual. People want to go on a cruise and enjoy themselves, not dress up. Especially in the summer if you're in the Caribbean, where most people wear shorts. Let those of us who hate dressing up still enjoy the MDR each night of our cruise. Those who want to dress up, great have at it. The most dress thing I have is a pair of Khakis I bought on Poshmark and paid about $10 for specifically for cruising. I take them with me for the elegant nights but after the cruise they stay in my suitcase until the next cruise. I never have a need to wear them. I always wear jeans or shorts. We eat out A LOT (too much in fact) and when we go to dinner at places like Longhorn, Outback, etc., I wear my shorts, t-shirts, sandals in the summer and yes (grab a tissue...) my hat. But you know what? If the guy behind me is wearing a tux and the guy in front of me is wearing a Speedo swimsuit, my steak still tastes the same. What they want to wear is what they wear and it doesn't bother me one bit. I sit at my table with my family and do not let what other people around us are doing, bother us. Unless Suzie at the next table is too drunk and screaming as she talks, then we'll ask her to pipe down...

While I couldn't care less what other people wear, I can see how if might affect someone's meal if the offender was sitting at their table. If the offender is at another table, then it shouldn't matter. Since people will continue to ignore the rules and are interested in having a sit-down dinner without dressing up, I think the answer would be to have a certain dining area for people who don't adhere to the dress code. It could be an area for casual dining, regardless of the night. Then Carnival could point those people over to the casual dining section and everyone would be happy. Or not.

While I couldn't care less what other people wear, I can see how if might affect someone's meal if the offender was sitting at their table. If the offender is at another table, then it shouldn't matter. Since people will continue to ignore the rules and are interested in having a sit-down dinner without dressing up, I think the answer would be to have a certain dining area for people who don't adhere to the dress code. It could be an area for casual dining, regardless of the night. Then Carnival could point those people over to the casual dining section and everyone would be happy. Or not.

Yes, it's called the buffet on Lido. The Maitre'd should be directing those to that venue who don't want to abide by the dress code.

This is a GREAT idea!!! Like the whole smoking/nonsmoking sections restaurants used to have. Just split the MDR in 2.

Recently on the Dream several men wearing shorts and t-shirts in the MDR on an elegant night. "Ladies" were wearing knee length pants and t-shirts, one even wore a tank top. I was offended and this display was just one of the many reasons this was my last Carnival cruise.

Gotta admit this made me chuckle. Wife and I dress up for formal evenings but I couldn’t care less what someone else wears. Being offended by women in capris and a tank top is rich. Maybe Carnival should enact Sharia Law and make women cover all skin including wearing a burka?

Maybe try to enjoy your trip and your significant other’s company instead of judging everyone you deem underneath you. Man, baby boomers...lol

Yes, it's called the buffet on Lido. The Maitre'd should be directing those to that venue who don't want to abide by the dress code.

Right. But many people would prefer not to eat in the buffet for dinner all 7 nights. I am just saying that it would be a nice option to have a sit-down dinner where people could dress casually without breaking any dress codes. Plus, the elegant people wouldn't have to be offended. How would it hurt the elegantly dressed people if the casually dressed people had an area just for them?

Me personally, I wish they would just do away with elegant night. Maybe keep some of the specialty restaurants where you have to dress business casual for those who want to play dress up, but keep the MDR casual. People want to go on a cruise and enjoy themselves, not dress up. Especially in the summer if you're in the Caribbean, where most people wear shorts. Let those of us who hate dressing up still enjoy the MDR each night of our cruise. Those who want to dress up, great have at it. The most dress thing I have is a pair of Khakis I bought on Poshmark and paid about $10 for specifically for cruising. I take them with me for the elegant nights but after the cruise they stay in my suitcase until the next cruise. I never have a need to wear them. I always wear jeans or shorts. We eat out A LOT (too much in fact) and when we go to dinner at places like Longhorn, Outback, etc., I wear my shorts, t-shirts, sandals in the summer and yes (grab a tissue...) my hat. But you know what? If the guy behind me is wearing a tux and the guy in front of me is wearing a Speedo swimsuit, my steak still tastes the same. What they want to wear is what they wear and it doesn't bother me one bit. I sit at my table with my family and do not let what other people around us are doing, bother us. Unless Suzie at the next table is too drunk and screaming as she talks, then we'll ask her to pipe down...

I have to disagree here..... While ..yes...people are on vacation, there still needs to be some semblance of atleast casual dress. Meaning collared shirts, no sandals, no hats, no basketball shorts, etc. And people wonder why Carnival has done away with table clothes?????

I have to disagree here..... While ..yes...people are on vacation, there still needs to be some semblance of atleast casual dress. Meaning collared shirts, no sandals, no hats, no basketball shorts, etc. And people wonder why Carnival has done away with table clothes?????

I agree. I am not willing as a consumer of the Carnival brand to allow the dress code to continually slip until the MDR resembles Golden Corral.

Really....so let me ask this....Guy rolls into the MDR in his tanktop and lo and behold he is seated at your table. He has been duly blessed with plenty of armpit hair and he likes to reach across the table for that breadbasket. It happens to be right over your water glass....we all good Dog? No effect on your cruise, right? :loudcry:

I get the frustration. I wish everyone would play by the rules but.......

There's 2 kinds of dumb.

First, someone gets naked and barks at the moon.

Second, same thing except they do it in my living room.

First doesn't concern me much. Second one I'm forced to deal with.

It doesn't bother me as long as it ain't next to me.

If they are at my table, I'm saying something to "Dog". The Maitre'D isn't my first stop.

Good luck and just remember, people are different. As right as you feel about everyone needing to adhere to the dress code, Dog feels just as right in their mind dressing as he (or she can have hairy armpits too) darn well pleases.

Right. But many people would prefer not to eat in the buffet for dinner all 7 nights. I am just saying that it would be a nice option to have a sit-down dinner where people could dress casually without breaking any dress codes. Plus, the elegant people wouldn't have to be offended. How would it hurt the elegantly dressed people if the casually dressed people had an area just for them?

Right, but life is full of choices. Remember, Keys2Heaven did not make up the dress code, Carnival did. And Carnival has given folks choices when it comes to dining. If you wish to follow the dress code, please come and dine with us in the MDR. If you choice is to not do this, then we have a lovely buffet stocked full of wonderful items for your consumption.

Right, but life is full of choices. Remember, Keys2Heaven did not make up the dress code, Carnival did. And Carnival has given folks choices when it comes to dining. If you wish to follow the dress code, please come and dine with us in the MDR. If you choice is to not do this, then we have a lovely buffet stocked full of wonderful items for your consumption.

See, you want it to be the buffet or nothing for people who would like to dress casually while on vacation. NCL has a casual attire rule and their MDR did not look like a Golden Corral. I think Carnival hasn't changed with the times. The times are that more and more people want to dress comfortably on vacation, yet still have a decent sit-down meal.

For some reason that bothers people and they aren't interested in ideas where all people could be accommodated and still have an enjoyable meal. The buffet is nice, but a sit-down meal isn't too much to ask for those who prefer to dress casually and comfortably. It is up to Carnival to either keep ignoring the rules or find an option (like NCL) that would please their guests.

I get the frustration. I wish everyone would play by the rules but.......

There's 2 kinds of dumb.

First, someone gets naked and barks at the moon.

Second, same thing except they do it in my living room.

First doesn't concern me much. Second one I'm forced to deal with.

It doesn't bother me as long as it ain't next to me.

If they are at my table, I'm saying something to "Dog". The Maitre'D isn't my first stop.

Good luck and just remember, people are different. As right as you feel about everyone needing to adhere to the dress code, Dog feels just as right in their mind dressing as he (or she can have hairy armpits too) darn well pleases.

Alibaster, first off, very well said....by the same respect, therein lies my issue....One of my earlier posts i said, to me, dress shorts and a nice button down works. That is my personal preference....BUT, it is not Templars Ship, it Carnivals Ship....Their boat, their rules. I bolded your text above because i guess thats the part that is annoying and hard to understand. The mindset seems to be "I know the rules but i dont care, i want to do what i want to do and because i paid my money, i will do it". No, life doesnt work that way. That is a reasoning of an 8 yr old, not an adult

See, you want it to be the buffet or nothing for people who would like to dress casually while on vacation. NCL has a casual attire rule and their MDR did not look like a Golden Corral. I think Carnival hasn't changed with the times. The times are that more and more people want to dress comfortably on vacation, yet still have a decent sit-down meal.

For some reason that bothers people and they aren't interested in ideas where all people could be accommodated and still have an enjoyable meal. The buffet is nice, but a sit-down meal isn't too much to ask for those who prefer to dress casually and comfortably. It is up to Carnival to either keep ignoring the rules or find an option (like NCL) that would please their guests.

Unfortunately, this is the current reality with Carnival, so my responses will be tailored to that reality. It's not what I WANT, it's HOW IT IS. Now, some newer ships (e.g. Vista) have other venues in addition to the MDR that passengers can dine at in a more casual setting.

Just my opinion....Elegant night is 2 nights out of 7. Carnival is asking you wear something that is minimum, "dressy"....Not a big deal in the least....They also say "Hey, even if you dont want to exert the smallest modicum of effort in getting dressed, no problem, just go to the buffet or order room service on those 2 nights" Talk about working with people. C'mon, how easy is that

I call major "horse pucky" to those who state "well i want to limit packing"....Oh please!!!! how much room does a pair of Dockers and a black dress take up in your suitcase. For guys, leave the jeans at home and take the dockers in the jeans place, problem solved. If your suitcase is packed that full that you cannot get another pair of pants or little black dress in it, buy another bag

Here is another excuse i have seen and it makes my jaw drop.....ready...."My husband doesnt own any dress pants"....LOL, are you kidding me????????????????????? You are spending $2000 for a cruise vacation and you are claiming you cant afford a $20 pair of pants? If you truly cant, then you shouldnt be going on a $2000 vacation. Again, pretty simple

I think the offenders fall into 2 categories, generally speaking. You got the ignorant crowd. These people think that a Elegant night out is rolling into the local Dennys on steak special night

Then you got the Contrarian group....these people are more troubling....."I will wear what i want to wear because i want to"

Me personally, i think a nice button down shirt and a pair of dress shorts is more than appropriate......BUT, and here is the BIG BUT....Carnival doesnt....Carnivals boat, Carnivals Rules....So on Elegant evenings, even tho i would rather wear dress shorts, i put on pants....again, pretty simple, it aint hard

RESPECT! That's what it comes down to. If you use the term, Walmart of the Seas, you get a pretty good picture, and yet, you will be told that it's not the case. Yet, the total lack of RESPECT when it comes to what a person wears, is evident in the MDR. It's not just respect for others, it's showing RESPECT to yourself. But if you don't care what you look like, than maybe Carnival should actually start acting like a school principal, and scolding those that fail the very basics of RESPECT.

Its a pair of dockers and a collared shirt....that isnt "casual"? I could understand the debate if Carnival said "Elegant night guys have to be in a tux", not everyone owns a tux and would have to buy/rent one....we are talking about a pair of dockers, and a shirt with a collar and throw on a pair of topsiders and you have more than met the Elegant criteria. C'mon, that is not even remotely asking to much

Really....so let me ask this....Guy rolls into the MDR in his tanktop and lo and behold he is seated at your table. He has been duly blessed with plenty of armpit hair and he likes to reach across the table for that breadbasket. It happens to be right over your water glass....we all good Dog? No effect on your cruise, right? :loudcry:

It might if that were the case, but could also be someone dressed up with a tie, reaching over the table and putting his tie in my water glass... Guess what, I ask for a new glass... Carnival has a dress code and for the most part they do enforce it as far as tank tops go... However, if they don't, I wont let it ruin my cruise... Just like I wont let it ruin my cruise if someone is wearing a suit to dinner when its not an elegant night, How dare they dress up when its suppose to be casual. They should follow the dress code for the night..

It would be my guess that a lot of cruisers, especially new ones, have absolutely no idea about Elegant Night nor what it entails.

If you do not know about Elegant Night, you might not even pack clothes that are acceptable for Elegant Night.

It would be my guess that a lot of cruisers, especially new ones, have absolutely no idea about Elegant Night nor what it entails.

If you do not know about Elegant Night, you might not even pack clothes that are acceptable for Elegant Night.

On the website and if they missed it there, its in the Fun Times

Edited by Knights Templar

It might if that were the case, but could also be someone dressed up with a tie, reaching over the table and putting his tie in my water glass... Guess what, I ask for a new glass... Carnival has a dress code and for the most part they do enforce it as far as tank tops go... However, if they don't, I wont let it ruin my cruise... Just like I wont let it ruin my cruise if someone is wearing a suit to dinner when its not an elegant night, How dare they dress up when its suppose to be casual. They should follow the dress code for the night..

You obviously weren't on my 8 day Vista cruise....I was on 2nd FL of MDR and counted atleast 5-6 x each night where people came in with tanktops/t-shirts, caps, basketball shorts, etc. And comparing dressing up to dressing down....is not even relevant.... if your uncomfortable over a a couple dressed up....than maybe you need to look at what your wearing cause it obviously conscientiously is telling you something???

Alibaster, first off, very well said....by the same respect, therein lies my issue....One of my earlier posts i said, to me, dress shorts and a nice button down works. That is my personal preference....BUT, it is not Templars Ship, it Carnivals Ship....Their boat, their rules. I bolded your text above because i guess thats the part that is annoying and hard to understand. The mindset seems to be "I know the rules but i dont care, i want to do what i want to do and because i paid my money, i will do it". No, life doesnt work that way. That is a reasoning of an 8 yr old, not an adult

No disagreement here. It shouldn't even be up to Carnival to establish rules in the first place because getting all gussied up for dinner has always been part of the cruising experience.

As Greggy_D said;

"It would be my guess that a lot of cruisers, especially new ones, have absolutely no idea about Elegant Night nor what it entails."

I'm just not going to let it bother me if isn't bothering me (armpit hair in my butter.)

Everyone knows what to wear on an interview, right?