Cheers - 8 day cruise but website is charging for 7 day???

ksmcdonald

We are going on an 8 day cruise out of NYC on the Horizon in June. When I go online to purchase our Cheer's package under my booking it shows this:

guest XXXXX #1 ($51.95 X 7 voyage days) plus 15% gratuity = $418.20

guest XXXXX #2 ($51.95 X 7 voyage days) plus 15% gratuity= $418.20 $836.40 total

My question is why are they not charging me for 8 voyage days? When we went on the Vista last year out of MIA for an 8 day, I was charged. $919 ($49.99 plus 15% gratuity = $57.49 a day X 8 days equals $459 a person) which they charged me for 8 days.

Has this changed in the last year? Because they are only charging me for 7 voyage days when we are on an 8 day cruise. Does our package start the day we board? Has anyone experienced this where you were charged for one less day than your cruise?

Edited by ksmcdonald

We are going on an 8 day cruise out of NYC on the Horizon in June. When I go online to purchase our Cheer's package under my booking it shows this:

guest XXXXX #1 ($51.95 X 7 voyage days) plus 15% gratuity = $418.20

guest XXXXX #2 ($51.95 X 7 voyage days) plus 15% gratuity= $418.20 $836.40 total

My question is why are they not charging me for 8 voyage days? When we went on the Vista last year out of NYC for an 8 day, I was charged. $919 ($49.99 plus 15% gratuity = $57.49 a day X 8 days equals $459 a person) which they charged me for 8 days.

Has this changed in the last year? Because they are only charging me for 7 voyage days when we are on an 8 day cruise. Does our package start the day we board? Has anyone experienced this where you were charged for one less day than your cruise?

All cruises out of NYC and Galveston, Cheers will not kick in until 6 am the day after you leave port. I believe it has to do with alcohol laws/taxes from those 2 states. You will have to pay as you go on that first afternoon/evening and then Cheers will kick in at 6 am the next morning

Thanks for the fast response! I thought I was getting a deal when I went online to purchase my Cheers! 8 days for the price of 7! I should of known it was too good to be true.

Funny thing is, we have sailed out of NYC the last two years on NCL and we could use our alcohol package the first night, we were just charged the sales tax for those drinks. It was under $1 tax for each drink, depending on what we ordered. I wonder why Carnival can't do the same as NCL?

Thanks for the fast response! I thought I was getting a deal when I went online to purchase my Cheers! 8 days for the price of 7! I should of known it was too good to be true.

Funny thing is, we have sailed out of NYC the last two years on NCL and we could use our alcohol package the first night, we were just charged the sales tax for those drinks. It was under $1 tax for each drink, depending on what we ordered. I wonder why Carnival can't do the same as NCL?

Carnival is the only line that sails out of Galveston or NYC,that doesn’t allow pax to use the drink package on the first day.

I think it has something to do with in those states the cruise line has to buy liquor with the states stamp or something like that, sure someone will have the correct terminology.

Bottom line Carnival have chosen not to do that.

Carnival is the only line that sails out of Galveston or NYC,that doesn’t allow pax to use the drink package on the first day.

I think it has something to do with in those states the cruise line has to buy liquor with the states stamp or something like that, sure someone will have the correct terminology.

Bottom line Carnival have chosen not to do that.

It's because the an interpretation of a law forbidding alcohol packages for sale. NYS & Texas have similar prohibitions.

Because of a law in NY, The Cheers package can not be used the first night. You will have to pay for your drinks that night. The Cheers package starts (I believe) at 6am the next day. We were charged the same as you, sailing on the Horizon in June

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As others have stated, it’s not because of “Laws” it’s because Carnival chooses not to make purchases from vendors in the state and pay the taxes required for Cheers customers. They have no problem doing it for folks who pay as they go while the ship is still in State waters (as they can add the state tax to the charge) - they’re just protecting their margin on Cheers.

NCL figures out how to do this from NY (even though they regularly give the packages away) and RCCL makes it work in TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As others have stated, it’s not because of “Laws” it’s because Carnival chooses not to make purchases from vendors in the state and pay the taxes required for Cheers customers. They have no problem doing it for folks who pay as they go while the ship is still in State waters (as they can add the state tax to the charge) - they’re just protecting their margin on Cheers.

NCL figures out how to do this from NY (even though they regularly give the packages away) and RCCL makes it work in TX.

But NCL does add the state tax for every drink purchased that first night, why can’t Carnival just charge the tax and it should not affect their bottom line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But NCL does add the state tax for every drink purchased that first night, why can’t Carnival just charge the tax and it should not affect their bottom line?

So doesn't Carnival at Florida ports on embarkation days...even with Cheers!!

It's not just charging the tax. I believe I have read somewhere, probably here, that TX and NY state law require that the alcohol being served is from containers with the appropriate "taxes paid" stamp on it, so Carnival has to maintain stock of the TX/NY-based liquor/booze separately from the other stuff they serve the rest of the time. They don't procure all their booze from TX/NY because that would be cost prohibitive.

Therefore Carnival maintains a smaller selection of booze available for that embarkation day, and to avoid folks with the Cheers package complaining about limited selection for their "anything goes" package, they simply punt, as it were.

I do not know if any of that is accurate, it is just what I understand.

Not sure what the “law” is. I was forwarding information from Carnivals Website.

Website reads:

Please note

• Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise (starting at 6:00am) for voyages departing from our Texas and New York home ports.
  • Program only applicable for onboard purchases.
  • CHEERS! is not offered on 2 day cruises, charter cruises, on ships sailing from Australia (Carnival Spirit and Carnival Legend) and beverage purchases made at Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays in The Bahamas.

Not sure what the “law” is. I was forwarding information from Carnivals Website.

Website reads:

Please note

•  
  • Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise (starting at 6:00am) for voyages departing from our Texas and New York home ports.

• Program only applicable for onboard purchases.

• CHEERS! is not offered on 2 day cruises, charter cruises, on ships sailing from Australia (Carnival Spirit and Carnival Legend) and beverage purchases made at Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays in The Bahamas.

ProgRock’s explanation is more accurate than mine, but your posting from Carnival’s website reveals just how disingenuous they are being. It’s not due to the laws, it’s due to how the choose to deal with said laws.