Advice for pre-cruise Rome stay-How did you do it?

VacationLove15

This is the right way to do it. Last year we did a T/A on the Celebrity Reflection to Rome leaving the next day on Wndstar’s Surf. Rather than fight our way in and out of Rome we stayed in the port Civitavecchia for a delightful 24 hours at a small guest house. They picked us up and dropped us off and the owner’s mother cooked us dinner. Nice little town to explore.

Later on in our trip we came back to Rome and stayed in the center for a while before flying home. Give yourselves some time in Rome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, we are going to Civitavecchia in August. Do you remember the name of the guest house?

We have been to Rome a number of times. Typically for three days at a time.

The last time was in early November. We went for four days. Absolutely no agenda and no real timetable. We simply wandered and walked on our own each day. We saw and experienced a different Rome than we had in previous trips. No pressure. The weather was fabulous, there were fewer tourists.

I would tour at your own pace. Don't try to run all over trying to see everything. Make sure that stop and really enjoy the environment. Some of those small streets off P. Navona or in Trastevere have squares and streets that are just as interesting as the main tourist areas. And.....you will come across some wonderful local restaurants that are fortunately not written up in Rick Steves or any other book and thus not swamped with other tourists....books in hand!

Personally, I would stay near the airport in case I felt up to grabbing a taxi into Rome and exploring during the day.

Everyone has given excellent advice -- the BEST thing to do when travelling from US to Europe (and in that direction in general) is to stay up as late as you can to try to get on to the local time zone. If you can do that, that's absolutely wonderful.

I won't pretend I'm not a seasoned traveller -- I have been back and forth between the US and UK more times than I can count at this point. But I'm still not great at beating jetlag.

This is what *I* personally would do -- there's no need for you to follow my example though! Personally, these days, when I do an overnight flight to Europe, the next day I get in, sleep for a few hours, then FORCE myself to stay awake the rest of the day. But if I don't get those few hours' sleep, I won't make it. I'll just end up crashing and burning or, worse, getting sick (not sure why but that's what happens to me when I don't get any sleep). No matter what, personally, I'm a wreck the first day anyway.

:D

We do the same thing -- have breakfast when we arrive in the morning --maybe a short walk -- then an afternoon nap. Set the alarm to wake up for dinner and a short walk. I find switching to eating at the time zone I'm in works well for me.

VacationLove15...

We did exactly what you're planning. Just got back last month. Caught the redeye and spent 3 days in Rome prior to an Eastern Mediterranean cruise.

I agree with flying in early. We came in 3 days early. I would even try 4 or 5 days if I had it to do over again. There is a ton to do in Rome and The Vatican. Great city.

I agree with Harrijc --- and recommend staying in the city center. I would disagree with a stay near the airport, unless like The Wood Duck, it's short after-cruise stay. My suggestion is to stay within a couple of blocks of the Pantheon where you can easily walk to most of the sites. If you do stay near the airport it gives you a perfect opportunity to explore Ostia Antica (5-10 minutes away).

I disagree with taking a nap unless nightlife is what you're in to in which case a nap makes sense. Personally, we find the best way to get on local time is to stay up and don't nap. We can't keep our eyes open past 8:30 pm, sleep really well, and wake up around 5:30 - 6:00 am. Sun is already up, but hardly any people yet. It's a great time to explore several popular outdoor sites on your own and then enjoy breakfast.

Here's my entire very detailed review of our pre-cruise preparations, and our ports, including our stay in Rome: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/eastern-mediterranean.html

Regardless whatever you decide about any of the above, you should still have a good time. Enjoy your cruise.

VacationLove15...

We did exactly what you're planning. Just got back last month. Caught the redeye and spent 3 days in Rome prior to an Eastern Mediterranean cruise.

I agree with flying in early. We came in 3 days early. I would even try 4 or 5 days if I had it to do over again. There is a ton to do in Rome and The Vatican. Great city.

I agree with Harrijc --- and recommend staying in the city center. I would disagree with a stay near the airport, unless like The Wood Duck, it's short after-cruise stay. My suggestion is to stay within a couple of blocks of the Pantheon where you can easily walk to most of the sites. If you do stay near the airport it gives you a perfect opportunity to explore Ostia Antica (5-10 minutes away).

I disagree with taking a nap unless nightlife is what you're in to in which case a nap makes sense. Personally, we find the best way to get on local time is to stay up and don't nap. We can't keep our eyes open past 8:30 pm, sleep really well, and wake up around 5:30 - 6:00 am. Sun is already up, but hardly any people yet. It's a great time to explore several popular outdoor sites on your own and then enjoy breakfast.

Here's my entire very detailed review of our pre-cruise preparations, and our ports, including our stay in Rome: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/eastern-mediterranean.html

Regardless whatever you decide about any of the above, you should still have a good time. Enjoy your cruise.

Wow, I read most of your website! What a jewel! You certainly did a great job describing things! We are sailing on Celebrity Constellation in October. We had previously visited the Greek ports on another Princess cruise. I enjoyed reliving some of our excursions by your descriptions. We have arranged a VIP tour of Rome as part of our transfer from the airport. I figured if we got going right away we could stay awake! So we hope to check in when the tour is over. We are only staying one night. We have arranged to share a transfer to the ship with two other couples we connected with on CC. BTW you listed a meet and greet anda connections party. Were those two separate events? What did you do in Malaga? Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
VacationLove15...

Thank you for your detailed review on your site! I just booked everything. We decided to fly in on June 17, arriving technically June 18th due to overnight flight, stay 2 nights at the K Boutique Hotel in Rome to do the Vatican tour you recommended on morning of June 19, and the Colosseum either before the cruise or same day as Vatican later in the afternoon. This way we can see the major things before the cruise, be to the cruise port by 2p June 20th, and then stay one additional night post-cruise (flying home July 1, 2019) to see a few other things that don't require tours.

Anything to see near FCO? I was thinking of booking a hotel post-cruise near the airport so we don't have to rush to get there when we depart July 1 (cruise arrives back to Civitavecchia June 30, 2019 at 6am), but don't want to be bored that far removed from the city center.

Just my opinion, Stay in Rome! That way you can nap and go out exploring again. Lots of restaurants, food, gelato, right there in addition to all the sites. If you could manage 3 days, you would really get to see the sites. Opportunity of a lifetime. Enjoy your trip!

Many people, including us, will tell you it is better to stay up as late as you can that arrival day in Rome. Stay active...don't sit down in front of the TV. Walk around. People watch. Somebody suggested on another thread to take a "Rome at Night" tour...not us, unless it was all walking. If it was sitting in a vehicle...bad. You will fall asleep.

The point is to get your body clock set to the local time ASAP. This technique has worked very well for us in 30+ years of traveling all over the world.

We arrive, as most int'l flights do, early in the morning. The hotels will normally let you drop off your luggage as your room will probably not be ready. Our group of (4) plan on walking around a bit near the Pantheon after lunch, check into our hotel and freshen up a bit and then head out for "Twilight in Trastavere" Food tour beginning at 5pm. We all love food and figure it is a guaranteed method of keeping us awake!