Walkie talkies on cruise ship ?

Bella_boo

What about just using your cell phone text messaging service if your cruising the inside passage to Alaska?

I have unlimited data on Verizon, would that work?

And of course I would keep it on vibrate!

Thanks,

What about just using your cell phone text messaging service if your cruising the inside passage to Alaska?

I have unlimited data on Verizon, would that work?

And of course I would keep it on vibrate!

Thanks,

It would except that you would have to keep logging on to check for messages.

• 1 year later...
On 2/25/2018 at 7:18 PM, Sue Do-Over said:

The Princess smartphone app has worked well for us on board several ships (and is free!!) It has a calendar of activities, allows you to set reminders, and send text messages. We found it to be very reliable.

NCL requires the purchase of an internet package ($10pp) and allows you to book reservations for shows/dinners that are all an extra charge and fill up the first day. Can't look ahead at tomorrow's activities, no reminders... and didn't stay connected. It was a total waste of time.

We LOVE the Princess@Sea, HATE the NCL version.

We just got off Island Princess and our group universally despised the Princess@Sea app.  Perhaps if we all had ESP and knew that a message had been sent we'd have a different opinion.  With no notification of a new message, it was worthless (to us).

• Like 1

I truly am puzzled!   How on earth did some of us manage to cruise and travel before there were cell phones, WiFi, and even small walkee-talkees :)?  When we started cruising folks would head for the telephone booths (many young folks probably have never seen one) on the piers to call home.  And even calling home would depend on whether the undersea cables were functioning that day!    DW and I sometimes spend over 100+ days a year on cruise ships and have never used any kind of electronic messaging!  I just do not know how we have survived.   And somehow we have always managed to find each other (unless one of us chose to hide) on cruise ships.

Hank