Blend on Kdam

SouthernLadyinLA

Hi, if there is a thread on this I have not seen it. Has anyone done Blend on board? I love wine and this sounds like a fun time.

I gather it is offered every day? I wonder if there is a way to find out, when I started to book it ask me day and time, which makes me think it is offered daily?

I would love some feedback.

Thanks,

Phoebe

We were on the Konnigsdam in August and was not planning to go to the Blend;however we changed our mind and really enjoyed it. We just went by the location and signed up for one of the sessions. I believe there were only 5 of us at our session. In fact we paid extra so both my husband and I could keep our own bottles. We took both one night to dinner at the Pinnacle Grill as we were dining with others. We let friends and sommelier taste both of ours and vote on which they liked most. My wine beat out my husband's! Hope you try it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did this on the Northern Baltic cruise, we really enjoyed it. You will be given a nice introduction about the vineyard and the wine you will be tasting to create your personal blend. You will make notes on what your tasting and if you need another sample no problem :):). You will then choose how you want to blend your own special wine. 50% of this 50% of that etc. You determine what % and what wine you want to blend. Then your bottle is blended for you from you notes. Yours to take and enjoy. My husband and I both did a blend.

We took our wine to dinner (no corkage fee:):) and enjoyed. I would do it again if onboard a ship that offered it. We signed up onboard, there is a limited amount of people the room will hold for blending. I can't remember how many, but I might guess 12. We saw the room filled and again only 4 people.

If you are interested I would check it out when you board, great to do on a sea day.

Thanks for the info. I won't worry about signing up ahead of time and see what the days are like. Fun idea to taste test, and we both love reds.

We were on the Konnigsdam in August and was not planning to go to the Blend;however we changed our mind and really enjoyed it. We just went by the location and signed up for one of the sessions. I believe there were only 5 of us at our session. In fact we paid extra so both my husband and I could keep our own bottles. We took both one night to dinner at the Pinnacle Grill as we were dining with others. We let friends and sommelier taste both of ours and vote on which they liked most. My wine beat out my husband's! Hope you try it.

I wont worry about pre booking then. I know we will like it and we love reds. What a great idea to vote between the 2 of you. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

I just finished a 7-night cruise and experienced Blend during my cruise. I enjoyed the experience as well as the wine that I made. However, I was disappointed to find that you cannot take the wine bottle that you create off of the ship. Well, you can, but they can't cork it for you and recommend that you drink it within 2-3 days. They put a glass topper on the bottle, which is not leak proof. I was hoping to bring the wine back home as a souvenir. I think HAL advertising implies that you can take it with you. Also, if you make it on the last full day of the cruise, you have to drink it all that day!

I hesitated to do it because I am very particular on reds. Did they allow you to choose from higher quality wines or were they mid to lower grades?

The experience of blending your own wine can be fun, if you've never done this type of thing before and that is exactly what you are paying for, not the wine itself. Keep in mind that the wines you will be blending are from Chateau Ste Michelle whose wines sell on average for approx $25 a bottle in most states. The winery will definitely not provide their top wines for this experience. So, basically, blending together wines worth $25 a bottle or less will never result in a bottle of wine worth $89 or $99 which I believe is what the "Blend" the experience costs. As I said, go for the experience, drink a bit of wine, learn about blending, enjoy yourself but do not expect to leave with a "great" bottle of wine. What you leave with will be a combination of several average wines. ;)

The experience of blending your own wine can be fun, if you've never done this type of thing before and that is exactly what you are paying for, not the wine itself. Keep in mind that the wines you will be blending are from Chateau Ste Michelle whose wines sell on average for approx $25 a bottle in most states. The winery will definitely not provide their top wines for this experience. So, basically, blending together wines worth $25 a bottle or less will never result in a bottle of wine worth $89 or $99 which I believe is what the "Blend" the experience costs. As I said, go for the experience, drink a bit of wine, learn about blending, enjoy yourself but do not expect to leave with a "great" bottle of wine. What you leave with will be a combination of several average wines. ;)

Last week, it was $79 for one person (one bottle) or $99 for a couple (two bottles). It is a much better value if you find someone to go with. I tasted 5 different wines individually and then had another 5 glasses of various blended versions of those 5 wines before settling on the bottle I wanted. I thought it was good value for being on a cruise ship.

Last week, it was $79 for one person (one bottle) or $99 for a couple (two bottles). It is a much better value if you find someone to go with. I tasted 5 different wines individually and then had another 5 glasses of various blended versions of those 5 wines before settling on the bottle I wanted. I thought it was good value for being on a cruise ship.

That is a pretty good value and I'm sure you had a good time ;p That is the point of the exercise, regardless of the bottle you get to take with you.

Thank you taxman. That was helpful.