Maasdam Breakfast Service in Dining Room

arabrab

We did a New England cruise on the Maasdam two years ago and very much enjoyed the ship --not too big, not too small, beautiful appointments. It was our first (and so far only) experience with Holland America. We had the late-late seating for dinner, and really enjoyed the good food and excellent service. However, we were disappointed in the breakfast service in the dining room -- it seemed very hard to get any waiter's attention once the order had been taken, so trying to get a refill on coffee, or hot water for tea, or any condiments was a frustrating and very lengthy process. We had this experience over several days, so it wasn't just one bad day, and others eating in the dining room for breakfast had similar concerns. (We didn't have this problem at lunch or dinner.)

I realize that the waiters work incredibly long hours, and I am certainly not trying to suggest that any were rude, because they weren't. It seemed that they were simply harried and perhaps understaffed at breakfast time.

I'm thinking about another cruise on a Holland America ship of this type, and I'm wondering if the issues we experienced in the dining room at breakfast time were just an abberation, limited to the Maasdam, or is this a common Holland America dining room experience at breakfast time? We do enjoy a leisurely start to our morning on cruises, so we generally prefer the dining room to the Lido buffet.

Thanks,

Barb

I'm thinking about another cruise on a Holland America ship of this type, and I'm wondering if the issues we experienced in the dining room at breakfast time were just an abberation, limited to the Maasdam, or is this a common Holland America dining room experience at breakfast time?

Thanks,

Barb

Barb,

I'm curious. We read here on CC many situations like the one you describe. Not just on HAL but all the other cruise lines as well. The sort of problem you describe needs to be sorted out during the cruise. After the first or second day the Maitr'd should have been informed and he should have then corrected the situation. If he doesn't and the problem continues then the experience needs to be commented here on CC for sure.

The Maitr'd is responsibe for the smooth running of the dining room. If things are not going right he should be informed. It is job!

Stephen

Barb,

We were on the Maasdam in July and had quite a few breakfasts in the dining room during sea days. We always enjoy the leisurely paced meal there instead of up top in the Lido.

We did not find any of the troubles with our waiters that you seemed to have had a couple of years ago. I would definitely give HAL another try as I am sure it was a one off unfortunate experience.

Jennie

To me it is "hit or miss". Sometimes service is fantastic, other times slow.

On the Veendam back in November, I would rate it just ok. A couple of mornings the service was slow. One morning Mr. Gizmo ordered an omlette. The waiter told us there was sign up in the kitchen saying there was a 35 minute wait for an omlette. Mr.Gizmo switched his order, but we went to the Lido the rest of the cruise.

Thanks for all of the replies. We really did have a good time on the Maasdam, and I think that the suggestion that if it happens again that we speak with the maitre'd is a good one. I think I'll also ask the dinner waiter for a teabag or two, since getting the teabag and the hot water at anything close to the same time in the morning seemed to be difficult. I wonder if at least part of the problem is that people show up and are seated at different times, so that at a single table you can have people looking at the menu and waiting for coffee, others waiting to order, and others waiting for food and others done and gone.

Cheers,

Barb

Breakfast service in the dining room on the cruises I chose to have breakfast there instead of the Lido have not been favorable. I skip the dining room, except for dinner, and enjoy the Lido far more. I believe they have most of their help at the Lido and perhaps room service.

Archived