Wheelchair help

BopRN

We are cruising in 3 weeks and my husband recently sustained a back injury. So we have purchased a lightweight travel wheelchair for him so we can still cruise. I have read there is a handicapped area where you check in at the port. Will there be staff who are able to push him up the ramps to the ship? I can push him otherwise, just not up the ramps.

Another question....I will not be able to handle all of our luggage and him too at the port. Usually we stand in line to turn our luggage over to the porters....any ideas how I can make that process easier? Thanks!

They will push him up the ramps and onto the ship for you. How are you getting to the port? I've always had porters come right up to our vehicles to get luggage.

We will be arriving from FLL via a transportation service. Should we tip the RCCL people that push him up the ramp?

It is hard work for anyone to push someone up that ramp. As a wheelchair user I would definitely tip someone pushing up and down the boarding ramp. Now for ports, those ramps are much smaller and shorter and they don’t give you an option but to get help due to safety so I don’t feel the need to tip getting on and off at ports.

We will be arriving from FLL via a transportation service. Should we tip the RCCL people that push him up the ramp?

When I was in a wheelchair before my hip replacement, the young man at boarding pushed me up the ramps and onboard, up the elevator, and all the way into the Windjammer. I tipped him $20. I think I tipped similarly for the gentleman that pushed me off of the ship to the luggage area. I think tips are why they sign up to provide the service.

We are cruising in 3 weeks and my husband recently sustained a back injury. So we have purchased a lightweight travel wheelchair for him so we can still cruise. I have read there is a handicapped area where you check in at the port. Will there be staff who are able to push him up the ramps to the ship? I can push him otherwise, just not up the ramps.

Another question....I will not be able to handle all of our luggage and him too at the port. Usually we stand in line to turn our luggage over to the porters....any ideas how I can make that process easier? Thanks!

When porters see your wheelchair when getting out of your taxi they will bring a trolly over and get your cases because it is a great tipping opportunity for them because i rarely see anyone near me tipping the regular case porters.

The crew insist on pushing your wheelchair on board for safety reasons.

We brought Paulines mam on 6 cruises with us with her wheelchair so can speak with experience.

At the entrance to the terminal you will see a handicapped sign and be directed to that entrance. My DW uses a transport wheelchair and as soon as we entered the terminal a staff person took control of her wheelchair and pushed her through check-in and onto the ship. I did tip him.

Embarkation Day - Arriving at the terminal porters will take your luggage curb side. Once entering the terminal approach the first RCCL rep you see. Wheelchair assistance even if only needing a pusher is on a first come first served basis. Your name will be placed on a list and you will be directed to a waiting area. Once a pusher arrives that individual will take you through the check in process. After checkin if boarding hasn't begun you'll be taken to another wheelchair waiting area .

Disembarkation Day - In the Compass left in your cabin the night before there will be information as to location on board the ship to go for wheelchair assistance. Your name will again be placed on list along with your disembarking number. You'll have a pusher to assist you through luggage pickup and to the curb. If Luggage Valet service is available for the port and ship strongly urge you to pay the money . This way you won't have to deal with your luggage until arriving at your final destination.

If flying to the Port

Airlines - contact the airlines and have it noted in your booking that you're bringing a wheelchair as well as need assistance pushing.

Airports - Best to checkin curbside if available. The skycap will direct you to the wheelchair assistance waiting area for your airline. Though you already checked in, upon arriving at the gate area go to gate agent . He/She will issue a luggage tag for the wheelchair. The skycaps curbside will only complete a form regarding the condition of the wheelchair.

Tips for both airport pushers and RCCL pusher are very much appreciated. At the airport I usually tip anywhere from $5 - $20 depending the distance, if I requested to stop at the washroom and or pick up something to eat at the airport food court. RCCL usually tip $5.00 as most of the time I've been lucky to do Luggage Valet. If not than I tip more.

If your intinerary has any tendered ports be advised it's up to the descretion of the Captain if your husband will be allowed to board the tender even with having a foldable transport chair if the tender does not have roll-on capability.

Edited by xxoocruiser