To bev package or not?

schmidlapp

After reading the slot pull thread, I hope I'm posting in the right place and won't get "flamed"

Leaving the 11th on the Silhouette.

Wondering if the bars offer "buckets" of beer? I may only have a half dozen beers or so on sea days.

We are elite and have daily cocktail hour + AM coffeehouse included.

I'm thinking we will not get the value

out of the bev package.

Looking for recommendations from some of you. This is our first cruise in 6 years. Thanks in advance!

After reading the slot pull thread, I hope I'm posting in the right place and won't get "flamed"

Leaving the 11th on the Silhouette.

Wondering if the bars offer "buckets" of beer? I may only have a half dozen beers or so on sea days.

We are elite and have daily cocktail hour + AM coffeehouse included.

I'm thinking we will not get the value

out of the bev package.

Looking for recommendations from some of you. This is our first cruise in 6 years. Thanks in advance!

Buckets of beer are not included in the booze package. Needs to be one at a time. Value? It depends on you. We have never had a booze package because the numbers don't fit. Since we book only group prices (no perks included) we see how much the "free" package actually costs. My 3 beers a day (less on port days) + either the Elite Cocktail Hour or coupons makes sure a package doesn't fit.

If you are booking a cruise that comes with "perks" it's hard to beat picking the beverage package. The free gratuities or the $150pp OBC usually are less of a value. The gratuities are say $15 a day so that's 1 to 3 drinks (one Martini or 3 beers). The 150 OBC on a 7 day cruise is 21/day value, so that's 2 to 4 drinks. additionally you can get the fancy coffees, wine with dinner, after dinner drink, juices, waters etc.

Assuming you are paying for the Drink Package and don't have it included it is easy to figure out if it's worth it or not. At a cost of $56 Cdn ($42 US?) a day you can just calculate what you expect to drink each day and buy it if you think you'll exceed that cost you should buy the package. You can buy the package anytime up until 2-3 days prior to the end of the cruise so perhaps you try the first day and see.

As others have mentioned, it's what works out best for you. For us, we always take the drink package if it's a perk. And we upgrade to premium. It's just very nice to be able to try different things and not really be concerned about the cost or having to sign each time.

I will drink a lot of Evian water during the day...along with my cocktails:p. Some great coffees from the cafe in the morning. Wine with dinner, and then cocktails or some beer at night.

My wife is not much of a drinker, but even she gets value from the non aloholic drinks, then a few drinks by the pool during the day, a pre dinner martini, and then a glass of wine with dinner. I know her, she would not want to spend the money if we are being charged for each drink.

As to the buckets of beer, YES, I have been able to buy a bucket, something like pay for 4 get 5, or similar deal.

Sometimes it’s offered, sometimes not, but I asked and received it.

The drink package dilemma is an ongoing debate.

We have sailed with classic, premium, none, price included in fare and purchased separately.

Generally, we have to work at it to spend more than the cost, but it’s not just a spreadsheet decision. Once you have purchased it you can have anything, anytime you want (within reason) and the cruise is more carefree and fun. If you pay as you go, you might find yourself skipping that cocktail during the evening show, because somewhere in the back of your mind, you want to keep the bill down.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide.