Wave Height - Rough Seas

k2

Stabilizers also don't help with yaw (that's the motion when the ship seems to be shaking from side to side).

For clarity, just in case anyone is wondering/cares:

Yaw is rotating to the left/right, like a twist on the spot. Roll is rotating side to side, tilting. Pitch is rotating nose up/down. All of this is around the center point - with movement in the forward direction, yaw becomes a turn, for example.

Roll is the one that is common with side winds and oblique waves. Hopefully the ship will be able to point into (or directly away from) the waves/wind direction to limit movement in roll (and yaw).

We sailed through Hurricane Isaac in '12, it was bad enough that they cancelled shows and closed the outer decks. We were fine and went to dinner that night and no one was there. There may have been 60 people in the entire dining room. Service was excellent that night.

The crew was even absent in some places, presumably for sea sickness. They had the seasick bags out by the stairwells. Since we didn't get sick we had a lot of fun with empty bars and lounges.

We were on the Ecstasy a couple weeks ago out of Charleston. It was a pretty rocky ride the whole time. Last day coming home was the least amount of motion. I started taking Bonine the day before we cruised, and every day on the ship. No problems w seasickness. Took me 2 days to feel like I wasn’t on a ship[emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So I had a fresh look at the link provided by K2 regarding NOAA predictions for winds and wave heights.

Looks like things are going to be, um, interesting on my cruise tomorrow on Liberty to Bahamas...17 to 23 ft waves Sun night off Canaveral, 15-20 ft in Bahamas all day Monday.

this is what I said several posts ago, check www.windguru.com for fairly accurate wind and sea state.

I was noting that predicted conditions had worsened - when this thread started, the predictions were for 8-10 ft swells those days.

I did try the link you provided, but I could not find any open water spots that I thought were in the area of my cruise - looks like it is geared to near-shore stuff for surfers.