Chef's Table?

Hroswitha

Looking forward to hearing about it.

I edited my post earlier as I found a bit on him on the HAL blog and provided the link.

Any connection with the Tamarind promises good things IMO. enjoy :)

Thanks for the link Kazu! It sounds promising. I have taken sushi classes from a master so I have a little bit of knowledge. (Which can be both good and bad lol) And the Tamarind is my favorite restaurant onboard so this doubles the fun!

Here's a little anecdote about one of our experiences with the Chef's Table on HAL:

Years ago, we sailed to New England with Carnival (not a bad cruise as it wasn't a beach location, so less of a party atmosphere). Anyway, we signed up for the Chef's Table. We were asked about allergies, etc. Great. My husband is allergic to shellfish so the chef made something equally as nice/good for my husband to enjoy while the other diners enjoyed a shellfish dish (about three of the dishes included shellfish). The chef really looked after my husband and made sure his dinner was as just exciting (cuisine-wise) as anyone else's.

We went on a HAL cruise and jumped at the chance to enjoy the Chef's Table. No one asked us anything about allergies, etc., but we weren't worried as we figured that chefs are well aware of an allergy as common as shellfish. Well, we should have been.

We walked into the Queen's Lounge and were presented with the menu. Three of the courses were centered upon shellfish. We asked what could be done for my husband due to his allergy .......... they responded: "We can get something for him from the Pinnacle Grill". When I asked if it would just be a regular menu item, they said it would be. They seemed dumbfounded when we canceled, then and there, because we would be paying $79 (?) for half of a Chef's Table meal and half of a Pinnacle Grill meal. We could not believe that a chef would not take a very common food allergy into account when planning a set menu. One course? No problem. Two courses? Well, okay. Three courses ... with no substitution than an unplanned trip to the Pinnacle Grill? Not so much.

If we ever have the opportunity to do a Chef's Table dinner again, we will definitely do it. Of course, we will address the allergy issue far in advance! :)

No one ever asked us if either of us were allergic to anything when we signed up for the various dinners.

We do ask to see the menus -- maybe you should do that in the future and then discuss your DH's problems and see what they can do for him besides giving him items from the Pinnacle menu.

No one ever asked us if either of us were allergic to anything when we signed up for the various dinners.

We do ask to see the menus -- maybe you should do that in the future and then discuss your DH's problems and see what they can do for him besides giving him items from the Pinnacle menu.

Absolutely. I think we would have thought of that IF we hadn't had the "better, more personalized experience" on Carnival. We always check the menu for the special dinners in the PG, etc., but didn't ask about the menu for the Chefs Table. You can bet your lobster tail that we will in future. LOL!

Jeepers. That's downright scary. Not to mention disappointing. I think they may have learned from you because the first question I was asked in the MDR (set table) was if there was anything they needed to know. I truly appreciated that attention to detail.

• 3 weeks later...

As promised, I am reporting back on the Chef's Table experience with Andy Matsuda. The day prior to the event we were asked about any allergies. Upon arrival on Deck 11 we were greeted by name coming off the elevator, then led into the Tamarind Bar (formerly the Silk Lounge). The greeter told us we would be starting with a specialty drink in the bar, then will be taken for photos and then into the Tamarind Restaurant. The drink was delicious and Chef Matsuda came to greet us and explain the evening, and also to double-check of any allergies.

The greeter brought each of us to the restaurant where a photographer took our pictures with the Chef, then showed us to our table. We were handed our menus and Chef spoke to us about the meal and what he had chosen and why. Then the Master Sommelier explained his thoughts on the beverage pairings.

There were 5 courses and they were all wonderful. Each course was introduced by the Chef, with the wine/beverage pairing introduced by the Sommelier. Everything was delicious and our table-mates were lovely.

The next day we were recognized by the restaurant manager, who asked us how we enjoyed ourselves. He told us we were really lucky because they would not be doing anymore Chef's Tables. This was disappointing news so he said if we would like to see it again we should mention it in our survey.

Anyway, there you have it. We would definitely choose to do this it again should it ever be offered.

Oh! I forgot to mention that when we got back to our room... there were our pictures with a box of truffles. :)

As promised, I am reporting back on the Chef's Table experience with Andy Matsuda. The day prior to the event we were asked about any allergies. Upon arrival on Deck 11 we were greeted by name coming off the elevator, then led into the Tamarind Bar (formerly the Silk Lounge). The greeter told us we would be starting with a specialty drink in the bar, then will be taken for photos and then into the Tamarind Restaurant. The drink was delicious and Chef Matsuda came to greet us and explain the evening, and also to double-check of any allergies.

The greeter brought each of us to the restaurant where a photographer took our pictures with the Chef, then showed us to our table. We were handed our menus and Chef spoke to us about the meal and what he had chosen and why. Then the Master Sommelier explained his thoughts on the beverage pairings.

There were 5 courses and they were all wonderful. Each course was introduced by the Chef, with the wine/beverage pairing introduced by the Sommelier. Everything was delicious and our table-mates were lovely.

The next day we were recognized by the restaurant manager, who asked us how we enjoyed ourselves. He told us we were really lucky because they would not be doing anymore Chef's Tables. This was disappointing news so he said if we would like to see it again we should mention it in our survey.

Anyway, there you have it. We would definitely choose to do this it again should it ever be offered.

Oh! I forgot to mention that when we got back to our room... there were our pictures with a box of truffles. :)

Thank you MissG.

It sounds similar to the Chef's Table in the past but more personalized.

I'm glad you got the chance to experience it and thank you for sharing your experience with us :D

How wonderful... and how sad.