5 Person Family

I can adjoin 2 parties of 2 but not a 3 and a 2. So then we have to split the adults. My husband is thrilled NOT!

Just because you have to book it that way doesn't mean that's how you actually have to "live" onboard. You and your husband can still stay together in a cabin.

Just because you have to book it that way doesn't mean that's how you actually have to "live" onboard. You and your husband can still stay together in a cabin.

While we can stay in the same cabin, that leaves me putting my children down the corridor. Next door or across the hall is one thing, down the corridor is a different thing.

We are sailing with 3 grandchildren & booked an Ultra Spacious Oceanview stateroom on SOTS out in May of 2019, Went through a TA we've used prior & it was a breeze to get the booking. We'll be facing the bow, which I think will give us/grandkids an amazing view. Stayed away from a balcony, which we love & have always had in prior cruises due to the youngest being a later 3 when we sail, so this location seemed to be a good compromise. I'd recommend seeing what a TA can root out for best price/perks they may have available. The more flexible you can be on when to go, the better the chance of snagging a better price. The TA can also do the leg work for you in costing out a 1 cabin vs. 2 cabin solution.

This is where we are sitting right now. I can't seem to book shore excursions because RCCL put the 10 year old on a reservation by herself. I can't pull her over to our reservation because she is too young.

Really all I can say is to complain. It isn't going to change if they don't hear about the issues.

I complained :D:D:D. I'm in IT - I wrote up a professional three-page analysis of how badly their reservation systems and website sucks with detailed recommendations on things that need to be changed (and instructions on how to do that properly) to meet basic quality standards and sent it to every address and email address I could find.

So then they rewrote the whole system this spring and broke everything. I'm afraid to log in and see what they've done.

My family of 5 (2 adults, 3 teens) sailed on Indy in February. We booked a Family Promenade stateroom (8307) through RC directly. It was fine for us - I was happy that there was a bathtub shower, not a stall. Plenty of closet space/drawers. The only issue was the couch pullout - my boys all needed to sleep diagonally so their feet didn't hang over the end. Found a video online of room 7307 which was identical to ours.

My one son was still on his own reservation which was annoying when trying to book excursions/drink package but I eventually was able to figure it out.

I just booked Oasis for my family of 5 with the Kids Sale Free promo for Sept 2018. I agree that it's annoying to have to call, especially when it's easy to see online which rooms have availability for five. It was a fabulous deal for my family! We have a Central Park view interior that holds five, and it's around $1700 including taxes and fees for all of us.

We stayed in a Central Park view interior on the Allure. Highly recommend! Big room (199 sq feet, if I recall correctly) and great price. The only negative I can think of is our cabin was located more forward on the ship, and we prefer to be closer to the aft. The window in the room overlooking Central Park is huge, and you don't really even notice the lack of balcony.

A lot of people have expressed two cabins because of the benefits... 2 of this/that etc. we are a family of 6. All kids under 11. We have cruised twice on freedom class both times adjoining using kids sail free and once in ultra spacious ocean view on oasis. The cost was around the same for the adjoining cabins versus 1. It was definitely an opinionated view of what was better. If you have young kids/grandkids one cabin is fine. Cost will be slightly better. If your kids are shower hogs etc you will need two cabins. FYI our cabin was 11100 on oasis overlooking bow great view.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 years later...
On 3/3/2018 at 11:32 AM, Grandma Dazzles said:

Would also suggest having a travel agent check and price the difference between different configurations and number of rooms. If you prefer to book yourself, do a preliminary check on line and when you call RC have the information available and ready to discuss. Deck plans give the number of berths in each cabin.

On 3/4/2018 at 12:04 PM, payitforward said:

No need to spend a ton of time on the phone or searching different booking engines. Contact a TA, tell them what you want, and let them do the leg work for you. Someone mentioned not being able to find connecting cabins as some sleep two and some sleep three. TAs know this, and know how to search for them. Stop spinning your wheels and let somebody else find the deals for you.

On 3/7/2018 at 8:15 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Let a TA do all the work and pick up a few hundred in perks.

I ditto this advice to use a TA (a real person from a reputable/recommended agency, not just a booking website). They often have blocks of rooms for less than direct booking would be. I was really hesitant last year to use a TA because I like having control of travel plans, but once I made the leap (at advice on these cruise forums), I realized that I still have a lot of control over my plans but I also have an advocate in my corner. The advocacy is in addition to the better prices/perks I got from the TA. 

2 hours ago, Corvette80 said:

I am also in the same situation right now. No way I am getting (2) cabins with kids ages 5,7,9. I want RCL, no way I want to take them on Carnival

If you book 2 connecting cabins, you can just leave the door open permanently and it doesn't feel like 2 totally separate spaces - more like sleeping in a bedroom next to your kids' bedroom at home. We had connecting for the first time last year and really loved it.

On 3/2/2018 at 10:42 PM, smalltowngirl504 said:

My husband and myself have cruised RCCL without children and only DCL with children. Since RCCL was running a KSF special we decided to try and do a cruise with kids on board the harmony and or the symphony of the seas. Now because we have 3 children and need a cabin for 5 we are obligated to call and book our reservation instead of booking online. Tonight I spent 90 minutes on the phone with them! So frustrating and they assured me while they have balcony rooms that sleep 5 people they do not have any available on either ship in a 3 months span!! Needless to say this 3 month span is during hurricane season and also off season as well. There are many rooms advertised online as sleeping 5 people but when you try to book them with a rep, they state that 5th person has to be in a crib!!!

The cheapest room I could find for 5 people was over $6,000 and if we are spending that much we will just book Disney. We were looking to have a new experience and spend less money. Anyone have any advise that has cruised this line with larger families? When I ask what ships sleep that many in a standard room , they tell me the Oasis class.:confused::confused: I then explain that I am trying to BOOK the OASIS class!! I am just so frustrated with the way this cruise line treats standard size families! Why can we NOT book our own vacations why must we call and endure the entire upsale process.

Go online and pretend like you are booking for 4 (two kids assuming they are under the age foe KSF).  

Look for an ultra spacious cabin (interior, window, or balcony).  That will help you find availability.   Those can all hold 6.  Then call and tell them the cruise and cabin you want.  The 5th will be taxes only in my experience if it is under KSF.   

Also search for suites that can hold 5.  Some can and I’ve seen sailings where you could get a suite for 5-6K for 5 people with KSF.   Believe me, a

full suite on Oasis class is a nice experience and may be worth it to you.  If you normally cruise Disney I’m going to assume this is well within your budget.   Just met some folks on the suites beach at Labadee they were (in a suite) on Royal for the first time  and said they liked the Suite on Royal better than a regular Disney ship cabin (for less money they said).   

Bottom line, search for 4 on your own online to start the process.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corvette80 said:

I am also in the same situation right now. No way I am getting (2) cabins with kids ages 5,7,9. I want RCL, no way I want to take them on Carnival

Check out category 1A, 1K and 1R. Not all of those are on all ships but they’re a very affordable way to bring a family on a cruise. We use them all the time. 

Edited by Billy Baltic

4 hours ago, Corvette80 said:

Many families with young kids book connecting cabins.  You can keep the connecting door open all the time if you wish.  Or you can close it now and then for a bit of privacy.

5 hours ago, Corvette80 said:

I booked rooms with the 5+ symbol for the first four passengers and then called to add the fifth child passenger. Has worked for me doing that. Click the refundable fare if you aren’t sure. I was told that you can change from refundable to non-refundable (they remove that fee), but not the other way around. At least that room will be held for you should you need to cancel and rebook with the rep.  Even trip protection was removable the rep said, but they could be wrong.

6 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Many families with young kids book connecting cabins.  You can keep the connecting door open all the time if you wish.  Or you can close it now and then for a bit of privacy.

The issue there is it doesn’t get you the KSF like a single cabin provides.   When no KSF, sometimes two cabins is the same price or even cheaper.  Depends on the “sale” going on at the time.  Quote intended as sarcasm.  So two cabins is at times much more expense or at times cheaper.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, easyqueasy said:

I booked rooms with the 5+ symbol for the first four passengers and then called to add the fifth child passenger. Has worked for me doing that. Click the refundable fare if you aren’t sure. I was told that you can change from refundable to non-refundable (they remove that fee), but not the other way around. At least that room will be held for you should you need to cancel and rebook with the rep.  Even trip protection was removable the rep said, but they could be wrong.

Can’t you always cancel within 24 hours either way for a full refund?   That way if you call and they can’t add the 5 th you still get your money back.  Does that sound right?

Last month I booked a cruise for my daughter.  There are five of them.  It was $480 more to book 2 cabins, an inside connecting to a Central Park balcony, then it was for a five person ultra spacious oceanview ( no balcony).  The ultra spacious while nice, have only one bathroom and you’re really all in one room for sound.  With 2 rooms the kids can be put to bed and they can still sit on their balcony or watch TV in their room.  It also gives them 2 bathrooms.  For a week, this gives them much more room and was worth the extra cost. They do book early so you’re not going to find those open last minute.  Just something to think about in the future.  They cruise during the summer so KSF isn’t an option.