Sushi Quality and Variety?

NorskyGal

For those of you who are sushi lovers, what is the quality of the sushi and sashimi on the Viking Sky?

Is there a good variety and do you feel the fish is very fresh?

I'm hoping there is a better selection than the normal rolls you would get at a buffet.

Will they take orders for specific sushi or sashimi requests?

When and where is it available?

Thanks!

For those of you who are sushi lovers, what is the quality of the sushi and sashimi on the Viking Sky?

Is there a good variety and do you feel the fish is very fresh?

I'm hoping there is a better selection than the normal rolls you would get at a buffet.

Will they take orders for specific sushi or sashimi requests?

When and where is it available?

Thanks!

Dinner in the World Cafe, port side only, as part of the seafood bar. Made fresh (in other words, the sushi chef is right there). Don't know if they can take requests; never tried. Can't remember specifically what was served.

Some nights, we will do sushi appetizers and then head off to CT or MDR for the rest of the meal.

Sushi is served only in the World Cafe, and only at dinner. As a buffet counter, there are no special orders - the sushi chef has a hard enough time keeping the standard options available on a busy night. There is no option to sit at a sushi counter. You fill your plate and take it back to your table. The options are limited, but rather good. Quite similar to a reasonable sushi restaurant, and vastly superior to the kind of packaged takeouts you find at sushi stations in some supermarkets. I make it the main course for my dinner several times during a two week cruise. There are a few maki rolls. I've never had one. The tuna and salmon are served as sashimi, and the nigiri is octopus and shrimp. There may be something else I am forgetting, but that is the basic picture. It does not vary from day to day. There is good seaweed salad, good wasabi and soy sauce, chop sticks, but no option for a bowl of sushi rice. At the same counter, there are fresh shrimp of standard shrimp cocktail style and crab legs.

I would hope that Sushi would be of utmost freshness and quality. A Scandinavian ship would, I believe, have typical ethnic foods like nova lox, fresh shellfish, salmon, herring in every possible manifestation, etc. Only the skill level for preparing good sushi would be necessary to add this deluxe food to the ship's repertoire.

Sushi is served only in the World Cafe, and only at dinner. As a buffet counter, there are no special orders - the sushi chef has a hard enough time keeping the standard options available on a busy night. There is no option to sit at a sushi counter. You fill your plate and take it back to your table. The options are limited, but rather good. Quite similar to a reasonable sushi restaurant, and vastly superior to the kind of packaged takeouts you find at sushi stations in some supermarkets. I make it the main course for my dinner several times during a two week cruise. There are a few maki rolls. I've never had one. The tuna and salmon are served as sashimi, and the nigiri is octopus and shrimp. There may be something else I am forgetting, but that is the basic picture. It does not vary from day to day. There is good seaweed salad, good wasabi and soy sauce, chop sticks, but no option for a bowl of sushi rice. At the same counter, there are fresh shrimp of standard shrimp cocktail style and crab legs.

Good report on the sushi and seafood station. We were just on the Star, and I can add that for our two weeks onboard, the chef did vary the rolls from night to night. Also, they had miso soup. It's back in the corner, and you have to ask the chef for a bowl.

We also skipped dinner in The Restaurant, twice, in favor of the sushi / seafood in the World Cafe.