Intranet on HAL?

Oscar13

I notice on Princess they have Intranet so you can keep in contact with family/friends while on board, using your cell phone (but not using WiFi). We have traveled on HAL before but never with other family. We would be traveling with 2 couples both in their 80s and would like to "keep" track of them on the ship.:):)

Thanks in advance.

We are not sure that anyone on HAL would even know what "intranet" means....and that certainly would be the case among many passengers :) (Ok, have a sense of humor). No, there is nothing internal on HAL. If being in constant touch is important you might consider some walkee talkees....although many of them might be too weak to work through all the metal on a ship.

Hank

I notice on Princess they have Intranet so you can keep in contact with family/friends while on board, using your cell phone (but not using WiFi). We have traveled on HAL before but never with other family. We would be traveling with 2 couples both in their 80s and would like to "keep" track of them on the ship.:):)

Thanks in advance.

Yes, HAL has the "Navigator". You need to log in but you don't need to buy internet and can access it for messaging, onboard accounts and daily activities.

I'm not sure if all ships have the messaging feature though. Which one are you on and someone that has been on your ship can confirm.

We are not sure that anyone on HAL would even know what "intranet" means....and that certainly would be the case among many passengers :) (Ok, have a sense of humor). No, there is nothing internal on HAL. If being in constant touch is important you might consider some walkee talkees....although many of them might be too weak to work through all the metal on a ship.

Hank

You must have missed some posts about the upgrades to the Navigator. I think Vict0riann was one of the posters.

Messaging is possible but apparently there is no sound to let you know it has come so you need to be watching or checking.

Hank

We used the Navigator App on the Rotterdam in January. You don’t need an Internet Package or Cell Service. There is a messaging service that is ok, but not perfect. We had issues with it updating timely (maybe signal strength issues in parts of the ship?) and there is no audible or vibration notice when you receive a message.

The app also offers access to a couple of News sites (NYT is one), a daily activity schedule that was oddly not always up to date with the printed copy left the previous night, and the daily MDR menus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used the Navigator App on the Rotterdam in January. You don’t need an Internet Package or Cell Service. There is a messaging service that is ok, but not perfect. We had issues with it updating timely (maybe signal strength issues in parts of the ship?) and there is no audible or vibration notice when you receive a message.

The app also offers access to a couple of News sites (NYT is one), a daily activity schedule that was oddly not always up to date with the printed copy left the previous night, and the daily MDR menus.

This sounds like a making a phone call to a phone that does not ring. I guess in some HAL circles that makes a lot of sense. The person getting the call would have to use ESP to know when to answer?

Hank

This sounds like a making a phone call to a phone that does not ring. I guess in some HAL circles that makes a lot of sense. The person getting the call would have to use ESP to know when to answer?

Hank

A symbol does show on the app when you receive a message, but you do have to look at the phone / app to see it. Maybe they designed it that way to keep from disturbing others when you receive a message? It’s better than nothing, but you have to check it often for it to be very useful.