Cruising to Cuba, what can I bring back?

skronzek

Would like to bring back cigars and rum for gifts. Can I? Is there a limit?

Assuming if I can bring back rum, the boat will take it from me when we board, and I get it back at the end of the cruise?

Would like to bring back cigars and rum for gifts. Can I? Is there a limit?

Assuming if I can bring back rum, the boat will take it from me when we board, and I get it back at the end of the cruise?

That's a very easy Google question.

Yes, they will take rum from you when you board and return it at the end of the cruise.

So sorry

Do not apologize for asking a question!

Yes, you may bring back rum and cigars! The ship will collect the rum when you return. They will hold it until the morning of disembarkation. The limits were lifted in 2016 under Obama but not positive as to what you can bring back now. I don't think this has changed. We were there in September 2016 and were not asked about anything when returning.

Do not apologize for asking a question!

Yes, you may bring back rum and cigars! The ship will collect the rum when you return. They will hold it until the morning of disembarkation. The limits were lifted in 2016 under Obama but not positive as to what you can bring back now. I don't think this has changed. We were there in September 2016 and were not asked about anything when returning.

Seriously, and I'm not being snarky, but a simple two second Google search will let you know what and how much you can bring back.

Can recent Cuba cruisers give me an idea of how much cigars (each) and rum ( liter)would cost inCUCs ....just wondering how much to exchange so not to have to reexchange on leaving? Just a range would help ! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can recent Cuba cruisers give me an idea of how much cigars (each) and rum ( liter)would cost inCUCs ....just wondering how much to exchange so not to have to reexchange on leaving? Just a range would help ! Thanks!

We exchanged $100 USD to CUCs. Spent the majority of it on cigars. In retrospect, we wished we had brought back more cigars. Didn't purchase any Havana Club rum as we have seen it around the Caribbean.

You're both right. Frankly, I appreciate Skronzek's question because it opens another discussion for me to read. I'm also going to Cuba and I'm searching every day for new and interesting information on my adventure. Sure...we could all google...and usually do, but it's still nice for people to open up discussions to entertain the rest of us. Thanks Skronzek!

In the next few days there will probably be over a hundred people reading this thread to learn what they can bring back from Cuba. Yes, anyone could Google to get the answer, but if the answers are on this thread it saves hundreds of people from having to Google it.

If everyone Googled all their questions about cruising, then what use would this forum be?

I find all questions that I click on to be very helpful threads. If I already know the answers and don't feel like replying with them, I just skip that thread and go on to another one. There are no stupid questions, just some stupid answers.

Thanks for the information...everyone I know wants a BOX of cigars so don’t think that’s happening but we have been told we can buy them at the tobacco farm we are visiting on our excursion.

This list has been accurate in the past. http://yulcigars.blogspot.com/

We exchanged $100 USD to CUCs. Spent the majority of it on cigars. In retrospect, we wished we had brought back more cigars. Didn't purchase any Havana Club rum as we have seen it around the Caribbean.

Are you saying that you found it cheaper than in Cuba? We brought back several bottles as our only ports were in Cuba. We were also on a cruise line that allowed us to bring it on board and consume it.

As a side note be aware that there is a competing version of Havana Club made in Puerto Rico by Bacardi. You can buy that in the states. Not nearly as good.

Can’t help on the rum limit in Cuba, but the usual customs guidance for foreign travel is a liter per person duty free with more duty free if you also stop in st Thomas. At least that was the last cruise guidance I remember.

FYI, have also wanted to find the Cuban version of Havana Club rum in the Caribbean. Was in Nassau a few months ago and the price was ridiculous so you have to be better buying as much as possible in Cuba.