What is the carnival port like?

k_y30

Hi all, trying to decide on an itinerary in april of 2019. I'm wondering what the port area is like? Is it barren or built up like cozumel? Also, any good private/pay for beaches nearby that doesn't have a bunch of locals harassing you? Maybe one with good snorkeling? Any help would be greatly appreciated

First , it's not just a Carnival port. NCL, RCCL, and others dock there.

Regarding the port complex itself, yes it's a contained typical port shopping are similar to Puerta Maya or the new International Pier in Cozumel, with the exceptionthat there's a pool at Costa Maya.

For public beaches nearby along the malecon, Blue Kay would have the fewest hawkers of wares as it's the furthest north of the main malecon strip. On the south end of the strip, NoHoch Kay, an A.I. through Island Marketing, used to keep these folks away. Not sure if new ownership continues that policy. I would assume, although I haven't been there, that the old owner of NoHoch kay's new place, Blue Reef, would shoo hawkers away.

The two AI's south of the malecon, Maya Chan and Almaplena, do not allow vendors.

In general though, I've found the lounger hawkers trying to get you to stop at their beach club to be much more annoying than any of the few trinkets vendors walking around. The latter generally don't get in your face and a simple "No, Gracias" sends them on their way.

Snorkeling along the main malecon is not good. There are some sea life to be seen around Blue Kay, but not vibrant. The southern beaches are not iron shore so beach snorkeling isn't good there either. here is excellent off shore snorkeling if you do an excursion or charter. Best shore snorkeling is via the ships' excursions which head north of the port to more iron shore at Uvea Beach. But that facility is exclusive to ship excursions.

Hi all, trying to decide on an itinerary in april of 2019. I'm wondering what the port area is like? Is it barren or built up like cozumel? Also, any good private/pay for beaches nearby that doesn't have a bunch of locals harassing you? Maybe one with good snorkeling? Any help would be greatly appreciated

You were given very good information by Crewsweeper. I would only add to checkout out the “Beach Club Breakdown” sticky at the top of this forum for more details on the beach clubs. Also, if you are interested in Mayan ruins, checkout Native Choice Tours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First , it's not just a Carnival port. NCL, RCCL, and others dock there.

Regarding the port complex itself, yes it's a contained typical port shopping are similar to Puerta Maya or the new International Pier in Cozumel, with the exceptionthat there's a pool at Costa Maya.

For public beaches nearby along the malecon, Blue Kay would have the fewest hawkers of wares as it's the furthest north of the main malecon strip. On the south end of the strip, NoHoch Kay, an A.I. through Island Marketing, used to keep these folks away. Not sure if new ownership continues that policy. I would assume, although I haven't been there, that the old owner of NoHoch kay's new place, Blue Reef, would shoo hawkers away.

The two AI's south of the malecon, Maya Chan and Almaplena, do not allow vendors.

In general though, I've found the lounger hawkers trying to get you to stop at their beach club to be much more annoying than any of the few trinkets vendors walking around. The latter generally don't get in your face and a simple "No, Gracias" sends them on their way.

Snorkeling along the main malecon is not good. There are some sea life to be seen around Blue Kay, but not vibrant. The southern beaches are not iron shore so beach snorkeling isn't good there either. here is excellent off shore snorkeling if you do an excursion or charter. Best shore snorkeling is via the ships' excursions which head north of the port to more iron shore at Uvea Beach. But that facility is exclusive to ship excursions.

Best write up ever! Thank you